Bass boat recommendations

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
tmusky1
Lieutenant

Bass boat recommendations

Post by tmusky1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:41 am

Well, last week I found a soft spot in the transom of my faithful wood river sled. I really don't think the hull is going to be worth saving so I may just part out the motor and equipment later. Anyway, I was unbelievably able to talk my wife into looking around at used bass boats. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for and what to stay away from?

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:Bass boat recommendations

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:03 am

here is one A little pricey but you could trade n the sled:-"

I would keep an eye out though the more I read less I like that 1#-o thought it was 2005:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:05 am

How much you looking 2 spend on a BassBoat?

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:58 am

I have got to ask, do you have any experience in Bass Boats? Do you have friends that own Bass Boats? I find a boat is like a wife, we all like something different, otherwise, we would all be married to the same women.

And while we date women before we marry them, most never test a boat out before they buy. I know, the dealer will not let you fish from a boat before you buy it, but friends will.

What features have you found that you like, or want? Make sure your boat has these features. What things do you hate, make sure your new boat does not have these features.

How far are you willing to travel for a used boat? With this economy, there are a lot of boats out there for sale, but the Northwest is not known for an abundance of Bass Boats - But California and Arizona have a lot more, and the Midwest is loaded with them. You might do well to spend the gas and go pick one up.

Personally, I like a Lund, in the Bass Style, or a boat like the lund. The modified Deep V hull works best in our waters, gives you more options, but fishes almost as well as a Ranger. Still, the Ranger style has greater speed if you are a torunament guy and need to beat people to the spot on torunament day.

There are so many things to consider. I took a year before I baught my Lund Style private label boat (found a Lund sitcker hidden under some carpet so I now know where it was built), and it is almost perfect for me. But if I had known I was going to have company more often, and that I would be an equipment horder, I'd have got the bigger boat.:-"
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:21 am

Looking to spend around $8,000- $12,000 for the right one. After fishing out of a 20' Ranger in Arizona years ago, I really liked the shallow draft, storage, open deck, and low sides. I don't fish tournaments but would really like some hp to pull the kids when the fishing's slow. As far as features go, I guess that's why I'm asking, for example, I really like the dual console layout but other than cost savings and space, what are the advantages of going with a single console? I figure I could get those kinds of questions answered by asking people that own them.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:38 am

Skeeter:-$ or Ranger :-$ the last the Best:cheers:

Push Flipper his Ride is sweet and I know deep he wants a new Ranger:colors: :chef:

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:55 am

Swede, I'm surprised it took you this long to chime in on this one:viking: Anyway, I agree with you on the Ranger being the best but any of them in my price range are pretty used. OK so, what makes the Skeeter and Ranger better than say, a Stratos or Triton? Oh yeah, almost forgot, the only condition my wife gave me was it had to match the truck (black) .....I know I know](*,)

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:04 pm

(Ranger) years of doing and service and always searching and doing more and not asking demanding it :-$ and back by studs:-$ not duds:-# .

Skeeter I just like the look, ride and how they handle in many water conditons and the fishing Platform:-$ they support I am a Freak on fit and finish that being said Ranger:-$ Uno Migo 1 :cheers: and yes I had both 500 plus years ago!!!:colors: #-o :-$ :cheers:

Maybe Jeff Prestor:-$ will chime in the Walla Walla madman:cheers: has been banging these and more for many many years:salut: :thumleft:

Nixons = Marine I still belive:compress:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Over here in the sagebrush there are an abundance of bass boats. TONS of different craft, and we have had a plethora to fish off of with some friends.

The Rangers are nice boats, but heavy and expensive. Weight = fuel. Expect to pay more for a day of fishing in a boat like a Ranger because the enemy of efficiency is weight. The boats like Triton are lighter but not tank-like. They are moved by smaller motors to similar speeds, but won't tolerate being run WFO for hours at a time on 2 foot wind chop. If you can keep your ego out of your throttle, the lighter bass boats give more value for your bass boat dollar.

If price were no object Id get what my neighbor has, a 21' Ranger with a 250 Zook 4 stroke. Quiet and strong, will do anything.

In the real world, I don't know anyone that can afford to burn 50 gallons of gas every weekend fishing.

As an important part of this discussion, can you show what the issue is with your current sled? Wood boats are ridiculously easy to fix, and I think a small soft spot on the transom can easily be fixed, do a little upkeep and improvement on the boat, and pocked the remaining $8000 you would have spent on a bass boat to use for fuel or fishing trips.

Shoot a photo of the boat and the damage, this is a possibility for an informative repair thread.

E

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:50 pm

How did I know this was coming:-# #-o :cyclopsan

E- how many bass boats have you owned and operated in all weather condtions?

Custom Sleds???

Never mind I lost my mind/:-# :-& pleaseeeeeeee I retrack these questions and zero time for the E:study: :-$ :cheers:

Back to woody:compress: :colors:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:02 pm

I don't feel like defending myself today Swede. I know what I have experienced.

My opinion above is my opinion.

E

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Weight:-$ backed by hull design:-$ , width:-$ and HP:cheers: in REAL LIFE #-o $$$ your friends in all weather conditons and were not talking Tanks:thumbdown that I hate.[-x

Real sports performance machines:thumleft: and I don't speak on anything as far as tubs I have not owned :-$ operator:-$ Captain:-$ and for others :-"

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:26 pm

Flipps Skeeter would be sweet:-$ if he parted ways with her .

Its done right getting new custom seats and more I think a 2004 model and is backed with the correct HP :cheers: for everything=

I know he is buying a new Ranger and why just don't know when?

I would ask :colors: :-#

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:35 pm

You guys both make very good points and thank you for your input, but we're kind of getting off track here. Gisteppo, the thought of repairing Woody did cross my mind, but unfortunately, I don't have the time, woodworking knowledge, or space in which to do it. I build aluminum boats for the military 40 hrs. a week and run a small fab shop at home during the weekends and evenings. Anyway, I liked the flat bottom design for fuel economy and getting into some skinny places but it gets downright sketchy when crossing Banks or even Whatcom during rough weather/ water.
It's not so much a problem of finding a boat, they're all over, but frankly, I'd like to hear from bass boat owners (or former owners) what they like/ dislike about their boats.
Also, on a more general note, is there anything to watch out for when looking at a fiberglass boat? (besides obvious damage)
I test drove a Nitro some time ago and the owner told me, " I modified the structure in the aft keel to get more holeshot" Hell, he couldn't keep that thing from porpoising to save his life! That translated to me as, "I damaged the hull and after it was scabbed back together, it hasn't rode right since"

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Great useable information from doing and being there :-$ in person.:-$

Many many builds do the porpise and bad and some new builds even come with a hook in the hull.:-$

Thanks for sharing that many would not even know there is a problem.#-o :-"

If your in the boat buying gig, new or used Run 5-10 or more brands and try to keep it apples to apples:-$ Testing each and all and do it in the = , flat, chop and the big stuff:-$

There is better much better and not always $$$ spent:-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:28 pm

Ive spent quality time in a Ranger, very smooth, very durable boat. Fishwells did have a habit of cracking plumbing, however, so be alert to the thru-hulls, the tops of the livewell tanks aft, and the locations of the plumbing as it isnt well suspended. The Ranger hulls tend to run a 3 tier transom creating a big standoff for the motor when running, reducing the need for a jackplate, while when they are at rest, the chines settle back into the water and its more stable for her length. They do hold their value really well, but that translates to higher dollars on your end buying used.

Also fished hard in a Triton. This boat was bought used and was rode hard, put away wet. She had some stress cracking issues in hidden places like the underside of the aft deck, and began to seep water at the hull to deck joint. This is a really tough spot to diagnose, as it is cosmetically covered by the rubrail and won't show its age until she's in the water and being used in a chop. Because of the hull shape in the boats prior to around 2004, they prefer a big standoff bracket/jackplate to squeeze top end speed out of without developing some nasty chine walk.

One last piece to throw in while shopping is engine quirks. A certain boat owned by a certain guy was out running in a tournament when it developed a slight vibration at speed. Owner stated "no big deal, does that all the time". About an hour later, the lower unit came completely off the boat at over 60mph, causing a very dangerous spin. Luckily both occupants survived without a scratch, just wet and scared at the end.

Moral of the story, ALWAYS SEA TRIAL A BOAT.

E

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:16 am

All good stuff to know, thanks!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:30 am

Ranger Bass Boats are the standard FLAG SHIP not the norm of this Bass tub industry Fact:-$

Ask him how many he has owned Zero:-$ another fact is the materials used in there system and the Ranger has the $$$$ re-sale value on the market and if I ever went back to this gig which I would not I would buy a new Skeeter on Bling and price Breaks I would get and bigger is better if your fishing and pressing all waters and a tourney guy his platform and HP are his life blood along with function/ease of such features.

Staying out of the Repair shop and being the best platform you can put on the waters for the task in front of you!!!

Fish on and my wood floating cork runs mid 35's in the open ocean

pipe dreams without crack

I lived this stuff many many States Ranger, Skeeter and a few more dominate this Market not words from folks playing with lumber which in fact makes a fine project but far from a ocean Performance tub!!!!

Hugs always the best is there to a few

Fish on!!!!

PS= If one make a choice on New and shinny loaded PM me I still know many of the boys who set and change the $$$$ needed to make a dream a reality not a PC

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Swede, as much as I value your's and everyone else's input on this topic, we're not talking about wooden ocean boats. If you have issues with Gisteppo and/or his boats , please don't hijack my thread in order to throw fuel on that fire. This thread is about bass boats and their options/features. What do people like/ dislike about them ? What specifically should I watch or watch out for.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:27 pm

Ranger, Skeeter the 1st 2 in that order on lasting real value, performance and time served as well as customer care.

Almost all tubs are a loosing $ investment some will hold longer and perform a broader range of conditions and elements.

I lost about $5,000 on both tubs and almost sunk one sticking the nose at 75mph without any stress cracks or repairs and YES it was drivers error:-$

Taking on a 75 fters tubs massive wave and wake at those speeds a bit of a risk #-o I ran the crap out of both using Jack Plates 5 bladed stainless pops and having the motors adjusted :colors: :bounce:

It will always go back and forth#-o :-" :-({|= on any decision or opinion but its lean to make one without owning the products :-$ and putting at least 1,000:-$ run time of hours in almost every weather condition:cheers:

Then each has a value:thumright Earned from doing8-[

Fish on!

One last thing having service you can trust[-x better then your Wife=d> night or day or weekendo:)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.