Just got a Trolling Motor?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Just got a Trolling Motor?

Post by topdawg47 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Hey Men!

Just wanted to get some opinions on the"Minn Kota Endura" 30 trolling motor

I have read lots of reviews from Cabela website & all seem pretty good. Does anyone else have this trolling motor? How is it in the water?

I still have to get a 12 volt battery to power it up. Any suggestions on particular brands to check out?

I'm going to hook it up on my pontoon, pretty excited for this up-grade!

Does anyone have pics or anything of how they have their pontoon set-up with trollingl motor?

Can't wait to get the package sometime next week...

Thanks in advance for the suggestions:cheers:
Go Huskies!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:Just got a Trolling Motor?

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Get more then 30lbs of thrust:-$ smaller lakes zero winds fine then add weight and wind and weather= lean
I belive 50lbers can still be had using 12 volt single battery systems :cheers:

In most cases Bigger is better:colors: :cheers: :-$

JAT
Angler

Post by JAT » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:44 pm

I have a "Minn Kota Endura" 30 trolling motor. I use it a lot on my 8' pram (85 lbs) and a 10' Spring Creek Pram (140 lbs).
For a pontoon boat this motor should be all you will ever need. I enjoy my motor and have never had a problem with it.
It seems to be the most common brand motor and should be easy to have serviced and get parts.

I was useing a Sears deep cycle battery and only got about 2 or 2 1/2 hours of trolling out of the battery. I picked up a
COSTCO deep cycle battery and have not run it out of power yet.

I will be using it on Caddy Lake Friday with a friend of mine.

Jerry

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:58 pm

i think they have that motor at Costco for $150.

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:22 pm

I've got an Endura 30 for my 16' Lund. I use it for trolling on lakes and it works great. You can always go with the bigger is better theory but on a pontoon, that motor will be more than adequate. I usually use mine on speed 1 or 2 on my boat and it goes about 1.0-1.4mph. It works great for trolling and when I keep it down on those speeds, it is very energy efficient.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:28 pm

clarkbre wrote:I've got an Endura 30 for my 16' Lund. I use it for trolling on lakes and it works great. You can always go with the bigger is better theory but on a pontoon, that motor will be more than adequate. I usually use mine on speed 1 or 2 on my boat and it goes about 1.0-1.4mph. It works great for trolling and when I keep it down on those speeds, it is very energy efficient.
Is yours on the bow or the stern?

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:46 pm

FishingFool wrote:
clarkbre wrote:I've got an Endura 30 for my 16' Lund. I use it for trolling on lakes and it works great. You can always go with the bigger is better theory but on a pontoon, that motor will be more than adequate. I usually use mine on speed 1 or 2 on my boat and it goes about 1.0-1.4mph. It works great for trolling and when I keep it down on those speeds, it is very energy efficient.
Is yours on the bow or the stern?
It's on the stern. I have it on the left hand side and control it with a handle extention with a u-joint in it. It works well since I can control both the trolling motor and my 15hp from the same seat.

FishingFool- Shoot me a PM. I've been following your threads about your boat. I have some ideas for you.

Primevci
Petty Officer

Post by Primevci » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 pm

i use a 30lbs thrust, on my 12 foot valco with 3 people wind and it runs all day works fine for me...

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:16 pm

TD,..I bought a Used MinnKota 30 from the Pawn-Shop and it's more than enough thrust 2 troll you around in most any conditions on a small lake/pond,..mind you I put a 7" Pedestal with a Swivel on mt Toon,..this allows me to control the Toon from a sideways position or completely facing the troller,..works wonders and keeps me out of the water,.aids in fighting the fish 2,..very stable also considering I'm pushing 250 lbs and with battery and all my gear,..you also might want 2 invest in a watertight container for your keys, camera, and whatever else you need 2 carry,..JMHO,..either way a 30lb Thrust is more than adequate for your Toon! HaHa,..I haven't even used my oars one time on the water,..they are there more for emergencies and a cosmetic look,..makes the Toon look good!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Primevci wrote:i use a 30lbs thrust, on my 12 foot valco with 3 people wind and it runs all day works fine for me...
That's what I used my 30 on before the Lund. The endura line is a fairly straight forward and no frills motors but they work awesome for small aluminum boats.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:23 pm

30 lb thrust on my 12' aluminum. Plenty of push for smaller trout/bass lakes. Never trolled over speed 3 and was never stuck underpowered even in the strongest headwinds I encountered. Never had a problem with it. Granted its only been used for 3 years, but everyone swears by em and for good reason....Those endura's are BOMBPROOF.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:10 am

I just put an Endura 50 transom on a 16.5 ft, fiberglass tri-hull. Works great.

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Nice! Thanks for reviews guys..

I got get some plywood or wood board or something to mount it on the back of my carrying basket.

BB-

Where did you position your trolling motor?

I still have to get the pedal stool as well..higher is better, lol
Go Huskies!