Good Boat? Good Price? Where To Store?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
FishingFool
Captain

Good Boat? Good Price? Where To Store?

Post by FishingFool » Wed May 27, 2009 5:48 pm

2005 Lund WC 14 Aluminum boat.

Comes with a trailer and a Mercury 15HP 4-stroke motor.

Asking price is $4900. I dont know how firm the price is, but I'm guessing pretty firm...

Suppose to be in excellent shape.

Or should I keep looking? Looking for my 1st boat. I dont really know what's all involved. I know I cant store it where I live, so I assume I'll need to rent some kind of storage unit.

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 27, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:Good Boat? Good Price? Where To Store?

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:13 pm

:-$ 2 UV silver blue tops/covers , soft ropes Home depot:-$ !!!tops and wheel locks:-$ your in :-# and $3,500 tops :cheers: buyers game and market not sellers on each and every flower pot at least for now!!!:colors:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 27, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed May 27, 2009 7:34 pm

That Lund seems high priced to me. I would recommend that you keep shopping. I looked online a little and found this in Yakima at Valley Marine: http://www.yvmarine.com/pre_owned_detai ... eh=1196488

4 Stroke Power, Ready to Fish
1998 G3 16ft Side Console; comes with a Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke with electric start, fish finder, trailer, 3 pedestal seats, livewell, and bow mounted electric motor. The boat has been mechanically inspected and is ready to fish.

This boat is a little older and a little more expensive at $5,500.00 but I think it's a lot more boat for the money. The difference would be the cost of putting a bow mount on the 2005 Lund.

Also now is not the time to purchase a used boat unless you find a screaming deal. The best time to shop for a used boat is in the late fall/early winter.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 27, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Wed May 27, 2009 8:06 pm

that does seem like a decent boat, but i'm worried about older parts/equipment. Outdated or stuff breaking.... :-"

Found this with a quick search. Newer with more stuff.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1192497031.html

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed May 27, 2009 8:12 pm

That does look a little nicer for the money.
Oh and by the way the definition of the word BOAT... It's a big hole in the water that you throw money into.

I just installed a new fuel filter in my boat motor today.
Yamaha 115hp 4cycle outboard inline fuel filter cost: $30.95
If it has Boat, Marine, Yamaha, Water or Outboard any where in the name be aware that you'll have to pay twice as much as you would for the same item made for your car or pickup. The same style filter in my pickup cost $13.95
Good luck in your quest.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 27, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Big D

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Flipp write down all your needs,:-$ wants:-$ and options:-$ will have a Newer tub/low hours in 2 week next to new less then wholesale bottom line forget the talk Feed the Swede lets dance!:bounce: :-$

PM me your needs and wants forget nothing#-o

Set you low and high offer$ as well before going in its all a game ball breakers win each[-x 8-[
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 27, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Wed May 27, 2009 8:15 pm

swedefish4life1 wrote:Flipp write down all your needs,:-$ wants:-$ and options:-$ will have a Newer tub/low hours in 2 week next to new less then wholesale bottom line forget the talk Feed the Swede lets dance!:bounce: :-$

I'm confused. Are you talking to me? :-& #-o

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Yes fishing:-$ :cheers:

Stay in the 14-16 ft stuff as well otherwise your in a floating planter box and wider is better work bench matched with the correct HP :-$ :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 27, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Wed May 27, 2009 9:18 pm

FishingFool wrote:
Or should I keep looking? Looking for my 1st boat. I dont really know what's all involved. I know I cant store it where I live, so I assume I'll need to rent some kind of storage unit.
Take it from someone that has owned boats his entire adult life. Don't buy anything unless you have somewhere close to kept it without paying an arm and a leg. Surely you know someone that would be willing to store it for you. Consider a close relative or even a close friend. Boats, by nature, are very expensive to maintain and operate so why add to the operating cost with a storage bill? Now, if you were planning on renting a storage locker from some place like Point Defiance Marina that would be different. Just an elevator ride to the fishing grounds in the South Sound would make that additional cost justifiable.

Since this is your first boat buy it with an open mind. Look for something that is seaworthy and mechanically sound. Don’t be a fool and look for that “perfect boat”. I assure you that once you have spent a season on the water you will know what type of boat really fits your needs. Then you can spend the time and search out that “Perfect Boat”.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed May 27, 2009 10:17 pm

That Lund is at least a grand overpriced. It's been on Craigslist for several weeks already. If you don't have free storage you should consider an inflatable that you can stuff in a closet or a corner. Storage is expensive.
Life's short - fish hard!

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Wed May 27, 2009 10:19 pm

I'd say it's a good boat and not a terrible deal. 2 years ago I bought a 2000 16" Lund WC, King Saltwater trailer, and a 1998 15hp Suzuki 2 stroke for $3500. What that package is worth is what you're willing to pay for it. Right now there are probably better deals to be had but then again most used boat packages aren't that new.

As far as the boat and outboard combo, that would be a great starter boat. Plenty of power to scoot along and a big enough boat to handle some good water on the sound. 14-16' is a great and very versitale size.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu May 28, 2009 6:05 am

Just an observation, that newer Lund appears to be under powered. My neighbor purchased a near identical setup with a 15hp motor and ended up getting a 25hp a year later as the thing was a serious dog.

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Thu May 28, 2009 7:00 am

a 16 foot lund with a 15 horse is under powered i have a 15 on my 12' planter box nice for long runs in big lakes or the river
fish on!

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Thu May 28, 2009 7:28 am

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO WALK IN AND NAME YOUR PRICE DONT EVEN HAGGLE JUST TELL EM, GET WHAT YOU WANT DONT SETTLE ,UPGRADES AND INCENTIVES CHECK OUT MULTIPLE DEALERS GET A IDEA ON PRICES AND HOW LOW THERE WILLIN TO GO . THEYLL BE FIGHTING OVER YOU FOR BIZ! I WOULD ALSO CALL,. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU WANT KEEP THE ODDS IN YOUR FAVOR . DONT BUY ON EMOTION .I WANT THIS OUTBOARD THIS TROLLIN MOTOR THESE ELECTRONICS AND I WANT IT AT THIS PRICE OR IAM WALKIN! ITS YOUR BOAT YOUR THE CAPTAIN!
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Thu May 28, 2009 7:30 am

FishingFool wrote:
swedefish4life1 wrote:Flipp write down all your needs,:-$ wants:-$ and options:-$ will have a Newer tub/low hours in 2 week next to new less then wholesale bottom line forget the talk Feed the Swede lets dance!:bounce: :-$

I'm confused. Are you talking to me? :-& #-o

FISHIN HES GOT US MIXED UP HA AH HE MEANS YOU:compress:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Fri May 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Well, he gave me a rock bottom price of $4500...:-"

It does come with oars, downriggers, and anchor, but I dunno.

I'm not sure what kind of motor it is. Didnt realize there were so many different models for the 15HP Merc. So trying to figure that out. Hoping it's has an electric starter.

If the price was for $4K, I'm pretty sure I would take it, but that extra $500 pushes it a little more that I want.:-&

Called around and found a couple places close by that can store it. Outdoors, it's ~$60. Indoors, it would be ~$175.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:13 pm

A 15 hp in truth is a kicker motor even for a bath tub:colors: :brilsmurf , there strong and swell but the 9.9 and 15 yamaha same beast in general terms:-$

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sat May 30, 2009 11:32 am

Welp, new owner of that 14ft Lund.

Got the papers today. They were nice enough to hold onto it for a few days until I secure a storage location.:batman:

Big D

Post by Big D » Sat May 30, 2009 12:21 pm

Congratulations...
Now the fun begins (Shopping) for boat stuff.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 30, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Sat May 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Congrats on the boat purchase. You will absolutely love the Lund and the engine you got will push if very nicely. I was going to ask, what's below the front deck in that first pic? I built storage compartment/deck in my Lund WC and it was the best mod I did. PM and I'll send you some pics. Good luck with the boat and hope to see you out on the water.