Kayak Fish Finder help

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
crkohrin
Petty Officer

Kayak Fish Finder help

Post by crkohrin » Fri May 15, 2009 10:18 am

So i just purchased an old town dirigo angler model from the joes sale and decided I wanted a fish finder so i picked up a humminbird 383. I mounted the transducer to shoot through the hull but it didnt seem to shoot through the hull, i did some looking and found that the dirigo has a layer of foam between the two layers of polethylene and that was likely my problem. I know one option is to cut out the first two layers and remount it on the most external layer, but before i started digging through my new boat i was wondering if i had any other option. Thanks!

kayak chris
Petty Officer

RE:Kayak Fish Finder help

Post by kayak chris » Fri May 15, 2009 11:14 am

Congrats on the purchase. I would pose the same question on the nw kayak anglers site:

www.northwestkayakanglers.com

crkohrin
Petty Officer

Post by crkohrin » Fri May 15, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks for the link i cant wait to get this thing running

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri May 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Try picking up the appropriate portable suction cup mount and then assembling it upside-down. Once assembled, lay it out flat and then stick it to the bottom of the yak. I used to have a kayak based guide service and had quite a number of kayaks. The technique noted above worked great for the client based kayaks. No mounting holes and easy to move from one kayak to the next. One just has to remember to remove the transducer before a beach landing. If you need any kayak advice feel free to e-mail me.

Bruce M
Petty Officer

Post by Bruce M » Fri May 15, 2009 7:54 pm

You can also mount the transducer on the bottom of the electric motor you use to propell the boat if you do that. Use epoxy and hold it with rubber bands while it cures. Make sure not to get any on the face of it though.
If you aren't catching fish it's becasue you don't have a hook in the water![quote][/quote]

crkohrin
Petty Officer

Post by crkohrin » Fri May 15, 2009 11:29 pm

so i liked the suction cup idea but im too impatient to order the humminbird unit so i made my own set up by bolting one of those locking suction cups to the transducer brace, it seems like its gonna hold but i guess i wont know until i get it out on the water, hopefully tomorrow

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed May 27, 2009 5:46 am

How did things work out?

crkohrin
Petty Officer

Post by crkohrin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 pm

well the first time out the suction cup mount worked great except for it popped off once after picking up a bunch of kelp floating on the surface but no big deal there it works well enough, the problem was the cheapo disposable 12v battery i picked up on clearance at radio shack for 3 bucks that ran for about 30 minutes before crapping out. Finally decided to suck it up and drive down to Cabelas for one of those rechargable 12vs everybody gave great reviews to online and sure enough the thing worked like a charm. Also picked up a pair of flush mount rod holders to mount up behind the seat.