Boat repair "holes"

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Primevci
Petty Officer

Boat repair "holes"

Post by Primevci » Sun May 10, 2009 9:31 pm

I got a boat from a friend which is in decent condition but before he owned it someone decided to drill some holes to mount some 3/4 in plywood on the transom, well its been sitting for a a few years and i realized the bolts are rusted out, im taking them out "loose already" and i do not need the plywood since the motor is only a 9.8hp "It has a 3/4 under the other 3/4" they added it for a 25hp motor witch i dont have, soooooo what would you guys recommend on filling in these holes i think they are just 1/4 in bolts so the holes are slightly larger.. i was thinking marine-tex or jb-weld does anyone know of anything better and where do i buy some marine-tex? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Trent Hale
Commander

RE:Boat repair "holes"

Post by Trent Hale » Mon May 11, 2009 7:07 am

Go to Ace or Lowes and get some bolts with rubber washers and fill your holes. Then take some outdoors calk and place around the bolts.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon May 11, 2009 10:22 am

I just repaired 2 holes in my dad's aluminum boat using J.B. Weld and it worked great and is a very solid permanent fix. I think it would work well for you and you could even paint over it when it’s done so it looks like new.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon May 11, 2009 11:22 am

Is this transom on an aluminum, fiberglass or wood boat?

Is it only through metal? Is there a plywood piece that has holes in it as well? A photo would make this easier.

E

triehl27
Petty Officer

Post by triehl27 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:56 pm

I've had Really good luck with 3M Aquarium sealer Silicon. Infact when I run bolts through the transom I fill the holes first with silicon then push the bolts through and use flat washers on both sides. making sure that the silicon gets evenly spread out under the washers. Remember to use Stainless, even in fresh water.

You can and I sometimes run a bead of silicon around the bolt once it is through the transom before pressing it all down with the washer and nut.

Never have had an issue, with this way. And the clear looks better in my opinion then some of the other colors avail.

I have used it to patch 90+ rivets in a 40+yrs old aluminum boat to get it through a 2 week long fishing trip cause it broke loose and got badly battered in an overnight storm one year on soap lake. Leaked horriblly before siliconing it, never had an issue after that.

Good luck.

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Mon May 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Hard to picture just what is going on, but it sounds like you've just got two pieces of 3/4" sandwhiched together?

Why not just remove the piece you don't want and replace the rusted bolts with new, shorter ones (with silicone around them to make sure they seal)?

You could use a button head screw/bolt for a flush look.

You can also buy rivets and buck them yourself to fill the holes and they will appear to match the rest of the boat (assuming it is a riveted aluminum?)

Primevci
Petty Officer

Post by Primevci » Tue May 12, 2009 3:40 am

im sorry is aluminum and it goes threw the transom threw the 2 pieces of the board

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 am

As far as sealers go, "Shoe Goo" works great. It's flexible like silicone, but much tougher. :rambo:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue May 12, 2009 7:53 am

If you are penetrating plywood, you need to take a different tactic than just sealing up both ends of the hole. If you do that, rot will propagate VERY fast, as it has an almost perfect little greenhouse in there to grow.

You need to fill the full thickness of the hole with a filler of some sort. First choice is epoxy thickened with wood dust or silica. Thats ideal, because it bonds to the wood, the aluminum, and becomes structural. As that isn't a terribly common skill (I can explain it if you want, its simple), option 2 would be to fill it with something like 3M 5200 or 4200 sealers. Silicone doesn't adhere well, and breaks down in sunlight fairly quickly, which is why the 3M products are expensive.

JB is fine for a little aluminum repair but will pop right out of wood.

E

Primevci
Petty Officer

Post by Primevci » Wed May 13, 2009 4:31 am

i was figuring on taking the ply wood off for the patch job

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 13, 2009 7:14 am

I'd just fill the hole with sicaflex or some other marine grade poly seal, no silly cone, it's junk. Tape one side of the hole lightly and fill it, press it in with a putty knife and tape the other side. If you ever want to replace the wood you can with out damaging the aluminum. If you fill with epoxy you're going rip the heck out of the transom when you try to remove it. Epoxy sticks to aluminum really well and is stronger. If there is a concern about rot, just get a small can of timber preserver (the more illegal the better) and swab the hole and let it dry first.-
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Primevci
Petty Officer

Post by Primevci » Wed May 13, 2009 7:17 pm

here is a picture holes are about 1/4"

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 13, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Wholy deep sea treasure chest:cyclopsan :cheers:

Answer me this that Picture is your Rear Transom?
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 13, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Primevci
Petty Officer

Post by Primevci » Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 am

yea

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu May 14, 2009 7:28 am

Ouch those are pretty low. Pull the wood and take it to Glen's welding and have him weld them up or put a new plate on the back. Be done with it.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:45 am

:-$ :cheers: I-5 north 164th st exit heading west there on the left at the 1st light Google them Glenns welding Lynnwood Wa that will take much more then SHOOOGOOO!!!!!!:-# :cheers:

Primevci
Petty Officer

Post by Primevci » Fri May 15, 2009 4:19 am

lol 177miles for a weld job

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri May 15, 2009 5:26 am

In that case maybe precision weld boats. In Vancouver. aluminum excellence.

=)