Any bassers using electric steer bow mounts?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
ProHawk
Angler

Any bassers using electric steer bow mounts?

Post by ProHawk » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:17 am

I'm looking at upgrading my MotorGuide. It's a pro series 46Lb bow unit with cable steer. I'm currently looking at either a new MK Maxxum or a PowerDrive V2 with the autopilot and US2. My question is whether or not the electric steer would be a mistake.

My boat is a Fisher ProHawk180, aluminum 18' semi-V, bass boat design. The 46 just doesn't seem to cut it in the wind. Additionally, I do a lot of trolling in the fall and winter for steelhead and trout and have to use a drift sock on the big motor to get it down to 1.5mph. I'm going to bump up to 24V/80Lb and with the extra capacity I should be able to troll all day from the trolling motor, what a thought.

I like the PowerDrive for a few reasons. I can take my foot off of the pedal under continuous operation and the TM will maintain postion (AP will even maintain heading). The motorguide doesn't have adjustable cable tension so it would go wild from prop torque, the maxxum may not have that problem.

Additionally, the PD will be controllable from anywhere in my boat with either the long cable or a copilot system. If I had a dollar for how often I need to fish a dock on a windblown bank, bow into the wind, and I have to cast over the stern. It would be so cool to stand on the back and control the motor on the front.

Yes the electric steer is slower in response, there isn't feedback of direction based on foot position, and it is a more complicated system that may be prone to failure, but the technology is hard to resist. I never see bass boats with e-steers but I do see a lot of multi-species boats with them and that's how I fish.

Any personal experiences you guys have out there with either or? This is a big chunk of change and I could fret about this forever...:-k Thanks everyone.

2000subaru
Commander

RE:Any bassers using electric steer bow mounts?

Post by 2000subaru » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:57 am

I have a Powerdrive V2 65lb thrust with the copilot system. I love my trolling motor. My boat is a 16foot Skeeter fiberglass boat and the 65 just races me around the lake. I also have a long cord for the foot control and have tried to use it from the back of the boat only a few times. The only problem that I have found with doing that is when on a rough lake or when skiers are around sometimes you will have the bow lift up and the prop will come out of the water. I'm sure that this could be solved with a properly sized shaft length. I recomend the Copilot system if you want the ultimate in control. The wrist controls are the size of a keyfob and are easily operated and received by the trolling motor from anywhere in the boat. I may have even tested my luck and launched the boat, pushed it off, and drove it around the dock to tie it off while standing on the shore! Once! I'd guess that the 80 would be just fine for application. I just wish that my motor had a lift assist system. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Chris

Coastfishin
Commander

Post by Coastfishin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:47 am

I have a powerdrive 55# pound on my 15' aluminum. The motor is great.
The electric steer is touchy, just a little tap on the pedal is all I usually need to stay on course even with the wind.
I like the long cord as I am usually in the back of the boat.
The cord unscrews from the motor easily so I can store it in the house.
I am very happy with the powerdrive.:thumleft:

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:51 pm

I have used both, and I just went back to the cable control. I liked the electric steering, but that is the part that fried on me.

Still, the motor was heavily used, for about 6 years, and that fact alone means that perhaps the problem was over use, and not design.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

ProHawk
Angler

Post by ProHawk » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks for all of your input guys.

It was a tough decision. Initially, I was going to upgrade to 24V but that incurred too much other cost so today I ordered a Minn Kota Terrova, 55Lb autopilot us2. I should be fun, lot's of bells and whistles to get used to!

I'll let everyone know what I think once I get the motor in use. At that price I sure hope I like it! [-o<

It amazes me how little online reviews and critical information is available on trolling motors. Tackle tour needs to get on it...

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 am

Prohawk,

good choice. I have the same setup, minus the built in depth sounder. Just remember to turn the auto pilot off when you stow the motor, or if you are not moving, i.e. anchored or just drifting. The autopilot will continue to try and track the compass heading you put it on, so it will whir, and click, and whir and click even though you are not moving. Not a big deal, but not necessary. It does work as advertised...set a direction and it will keep you heading in that direction. The only downside is that it is not nearly as responsive (rotation speed) as a cable mount. However, you can be almost at the back of your boat and use the thing because the cable is so long.

I love mine, and have no complaints...other than I wish I could have afforded the built in depth sounder, but I have added one on since. The onboard battery gauge is pretty sweet too, and I am sure you will enjoy.
Clam Man

"____________"

ProHawk
Angler

Post by ProHawk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:34 am

Great tips Clam Man! Thank you.

I read in the catalog last night that the unit has an auto disconnect of the power when stowed. I guess it's not a complete shutoff!

I am super excited, I know I'm going to have to adjust some of my tricks when I get around docks, banks, and cover. I would whirl around my old motor left and right keeping me from running into anything. The open water benefits however were just too hard to ignore.

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:35 pm

Pro,

it does have an auto shutoff but it takes a few seconds to kick in. Not a big deal. The open water, or wind is where this thing is great. Just set a troll direction and go...or my favorite: Point where you want to fish, and hands off while you tie a new lure or bait on. It is a work multiplier if you use it correctly. By the time you are tied on you can just stop the motor and cast.
Clam Man

"____________"

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:58 pm

I will be interested in what you think after running it. I just went through the same process and ended up with the Maxxum 70lb 24v cable steer. It is pretty awsume.