Boat motors

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Jay S
Petty Officer

Boat motors

Post by Jay S » Tue May 22, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi I have an older (1965?) 10 hp johnson short shaft motor that is leaking oil out of the lower unit and seems to heat up. The motor still runs good but im not sure how long that will last. I live in the spokane area and was wondering if any one could point me in the direction of some help. Im looking for an in expensive way to get this fixed but would also like quality work done or even just an estament any info you guys and gals can dish out would be appreciated. Thanks Jay S

jmay
Lieutenant

RE:Boat motors

Post by jmay » Wed May 23, 2007 9:08 am

Jay if lower unit lube is getting out, water is getting in. Your lower unit will freeze up sooner than later as water is a horrible lubericant. It could be something simple, there should be a drain plug in the "bullet" make sure that is tight and that the "O" ring is still good. If the "O" ring is broken or missing you are looking at a $2 fix. If the leak is where the upper and lower unit meet a the cavitation plate you are looking at a bad gasket. I had a mid 60's Johnson as well and found all the gaskets where made of cork. Cork goes bad over time. You are looking at shop fixing that....word to the wise anyone can remove a lower unit, not many can get them back on correctly with the drive shaft and prop shaft shimmed correctly. I'm a boat claims adjuster by trade and worked in a outboard shop for several years, the motor in likely worth $350 so limit your shop time.