Boat Top / Enclosure - Any Way to Make ?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
glastron876
Petty Officer

Boat Top / Enclosure - Any Way to Make ?

Post by glastron876 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:56 am

Okay - I have been looking for plans/designs/how-to-make sites on Boat Tops / Eclosures.
Does anyone have any info on where I can find stuff ?

The thing is that I can get the material and build it myself, much cheaper than buying one custom made as I have an older boat and the top would have to be Custom made. And I don't want to spend 250-300 bucks on one.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.
"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day. Teach someone to fish and you get rid of them for the whole weekend"

jmay
Lieutenant

RE:Boat Top / Enclosure - Any Way to Make ?

Post by jmay » Tue May 22, 2007 1:20 pm

99% of good bimini tops are made from Sunbrella fabric. www.outdoortextiles.com sells it. You also need rot proof thred. Unless you have a industial sewing machine I think I would pay the $250 for a professional. You have to also allow for strech, its not a shadetree job.

The White Elephant in Spokane Valley sells some prefab one's with the tube aluminum for only $110.00 I have a 10 foot by 4 foot one on mine boat and it works fine.

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Tue May 22, 2007 1:28 pm

jmay wrote: Unless you have a industial sewing machine I think I would pay the $250 for a professional. You have to also allow for strech, its not a shadetree job.
I totally agree. The skill and equipment need to complete a job like this make it next to impossible to for a shadetree job. I think if you can get it done professionaly for 250-300 dollars your getting a great deal.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

glastron876
Petty Officer

Post by glastron876 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions fellas - appreciated, truely

I have a background in Upholstery among other things - just have a hard time shelling out that kind of money for something that I know I can do myself...if you know what I mean...just looking for plans, etc., to make things a bit easier and less time consuming.

However you guys may be correct - time spent making it would be time not fishing...

Thanks again.
"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day. Teach someone to fish and you get rid of them for the whole weekend"