Deep cycle batteries

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
DH
Petty Officer

Deep cycle batteries

Post by DH » Thu May 10, 2007 12:31 pm

What is the best way to go for deep cycle in a 12volt battery to use with a new electric trolling motor? I find that the ones at Costco look good for price, but are there better choices? Please help me and others who need to buy a new battery. Thanks. DH

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Deep cycle batteries

Post by A9 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Trojan Marine...Go to Joes (GI Joes) and pick one up....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu May 10, 2007 2:08 pm

If you have the money get the gel battery. They are more expensive but there is nothing worse than having to row back from the other side of the lake

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Mon May 14, 2007 11:44 pm

DH wrote:What is the best way to go for deep cycle in a 12volt battery to use with a new electric trolling motor? I find that the ones at Costco look good for price, but are there better choices? Please help me and others who need to buy a new battery. Thanks. DH
Look for the highest number of reserve minutes you can find in a battery to maximize the trolling motor run time.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

Firetiger
Warrant Officer

Post by Firetiger » Mon May 21, 2007 7:19 pm

Trolling motor performance and battery longevity both dramatically increased when I bought a Trojan Marine battery and a good 3-stage battery charger. Following instructions regarding water levels, I attach the charger as soon as the boat is in the garage and it stays attached until the next time I go fishing. Proper charging with good equipment is the key to success.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 21, 2007 9:40 pm

DH

I don't know what your boat set up is.. but I just was at Costco about 1 week ago. I bought their Deep Cycle 12 volt marine battery. I believe I paid $62.00 when I got home to my 14ft. Lund, I realized the Costco battery was twice the size of the area that holds the battery. Went to GI Joes and returned home with a Trojan. I don't remember the model number but I too have a Minn Kota electric motor 55lb thrust. It requires 100 amps per hour. The Trojan I bought is 115 amps/hour. I did pay $129.00 for it, but I hear that it is great.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:01 pm

Quad: Costco has some for like $62????I might have to pick one up just for a backup...

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Wed May 23, 2007 10:10 pm

I use Trojan batteries in my bass boat, and I use a AC delco Marine/RV battery in my 9 foot boat. Both brands are great.
aka Powerworm

kickerfish
Petty Officer

Post by kickerfish » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:05 pm

Getting ready to buy a battery to power a 40lb thrust bow mounted power drive minn kota, how long does a fully charged Trojan battery last on the water? It will power a 14 ft v bottom jon-boat converted to a bass boat. I am trying to get a good 8 hours of operation from a 12 volt.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:15 pm

If you buy a quality deepcycle kickerfish with a 175+ reserve capacity you should be fine if your just slowly moving all day (not just on speed 4 or 5 all day)

kickerfish
Petty Officer

Post by kickerfish » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:21 am

Perfect, that is how I fish anyway. I just did not want to get only 3 hours out of a battery. I appreciate the response. Tight Lines!

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:43 am

What type of life (years of use, not hours per charge) should be expected from a properly maintained and charged deep cycle battery?

I have 4 year old battery that didn't hold a charge this last time out, but it turns out it had a low water level #-o. I topped it up with distilled water and it's on the charger now. Is there a way I can test if this battery is dead for sure so I don't end up replacing a salvageable battery?
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Dilbert:
They say 2-3 years..

If yu wanna know if it takes a charge, take it to the nearest auto shop (any of the small shops connected to gas stations) and take the battery over there and ask them if it holds a charge...I've done it with a bunch of batteries and it's been free everytime....

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:09 pm

I have been told a few different things about how to charge a deep cycle battery. I was told they should be charged at 2 amps and I have also been told it doesn't matter. I know most of the minn kota chargers are 3 stage starting at 5, 10, 15 etc. until a certain percent charged then switching to 2 amps and then even lower or something like that. What should I look for in a battery charger and how many amps should I use?

Another thing I have been given mixed info about is how to properly drain the battery. I have been told that it should be drained all the way to prevent memory but I have also been told that damages the battery and not to drain it all the way. So what is the truth?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Gone Fishin,
Charge your deep cycle as slow as possible...
The 2 amp charge is basically the trickle rate. If you can, power it up as slow as possible

And with deep cycles you do NOT want to store the battery drained. Store it completely charged....

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:38 pm

Does it reduce the life of the battery by running it dead?

Firetiger
Warrant Officer

Post by Firetiger » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:39 am

Trojan tech support comments on battery maintenance

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Tech-Supp ... nance.aspx

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:13 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:Does it reduce the life of the battery by running it dead?
No.
They say to charge it up within 24 hours of using it, even if you use it for an hour....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:37 pm

Here's a stupid question for all. If you leave your charger out in he rain for a weekend, is it shot? This happened to me when I was offut and I don't want to try it on my batteries, but my buddy told me it will be fine

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:46 am

gpc wrote:Here's a stupid question for all. If you leave your charger out in he rain for a weekend, is it shot? This happened to me when I was offut and I don't want to try it on my batteries, but my buddy told me it will be fine
Ask your buddy if you can try it out on his battery first. All the vents that most battery chargers have would do a good job of letting rain inside.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"