Any experience with using 'Closed cell foam-- Pool Noodles' for flotation within boat?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Any experience with using 'Closed cell foam-- Pool Noodles' for flotation within boat?

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:28 pm

I have recently pulled out entirely all of the A/B, 2 part foam that is used as flotation foam within my aluminum boat.
I will be putting the flooring back together shortly, and I was wondering if anyone has ever used 'Pool Noodles' as flotation foam within your boat? Pool Noodles are what is called, 'Closed Cell Foam' of course this means that they are impervious to absorbing water... do not become water logged.

While it may sound goofy to use this item within your boat, I have seen some quality looking builds where people have bought Noodles in bulk, and used them rather than the liquid flotation foam. The foam stuff is made by mixing two parts, (like epoxy) then you pour it in, and it rises like bread dough. The thing is, it is a PIA to work with, if you ever have to take it out of your boat. I pulled 13 garbage bags out of a 14' Aluminum boat this week, and it was exhausting!

Please let me know your experience.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Any experience with using 'Closed cell foam-- Pool Noodles' for flotation within boat?

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:34 pm

OK... well darn, whenever something seems too easy, there is usually a reason not to do it. :-"

Enough Google searches on tin boat forums, and I can see that some people have seen supposed closed cell foam pool noodles, actually take on water, as well as they say the flotation is not equal to the factory foam crap that I am talking about.
Well, if I missed another option for installing a flotation item/chemical, etc. Please let me know.

rseas
Commander

Re: Any experience with using 'Closed cell foam-- Pool Noodles' for flotation within boat?

Post by rseas » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:43 am

Ping-pong balls?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:26 am

rseas wrote:Ping-pong balls?
Interesting??
Is this just a random idea, or have you heard of it being done?
It kind of just seems like the amount of air held in a ton of ping pong balls still wouldn’t be much of a gain in flotation. But I will ponder this.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:42 am

fill gallon juice or milk jugs with the 2 part foam, seal with the cap and secure bottles together? Just brainstorming...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:44 am

Mike Carey wrote:fill gallon juice or milk jugs with the 2 part foam, seal with the cap and secure bottles together? Just brainstorming...
I see where you’re going.. Anything to help contain the foam, and keep it actually removable if needed.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:21 am

The Quadfather wrote:
Interesting??
It kind of just seems like the amount of air held in a ton of ping pong balls still wouldn’t be much of a gain in flotation. But I will ponder this.
I have not used them but a year or so ago I was researching floatation options and some guy on another site (tin-boats?) did the math and determined that they would be a good floatation option. It seems that they would breath well and have minimal contact with the hull.

Some time ago I helped a friend replace the flooring in his aging Alumaweld. When we removed the old floor we found that the flotation was seriously waterlogged. Some of the two part foam was in plastic bags and easily removable. The rest of it was bonded to the hull and a major PIA to remove.

We replaced the flotation with a very dense, fine grained foam. The foam was blue and came in 2" sheets that we bonded together, then cut into custom shaped blocks for the various compartments. I don't remember what kind of foam it was but may have been polyethylene foam. When all done and buttoned up the boat floated 2-3" higher in the water.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 am

rseas wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:
Interesting??
I have not used them but a year or so ago I was researching floatation options and some guy on another site (tin-boats?) did the math and determined that they would be a good floatation option. It seems that they would breath well and have minimal contact with the hull.

Some time ago I helped a friend replace the flooring in his aging Alumaweld. When we removed the old floor we found that the flotation was seriously waterlogged. Some of the two part foam was in plastic bags and easily removable. The rest of it was bonded to the hull and a major PIA to remove.

We replaced the flotation with a very dense, fine grained foam. The foam was blue and came in 2" sheets that we bonded together, then cut into custom shaped blocks for the various compartments. I don't remember what kind of foam it was but may have been polyethylene foam. When all done and buttoned up the boat floated 2-3" higher in the water.
:salut: :salut:

Excellent, thanks!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 am

I'll second the use of the blue or pink foam board you can find at the home improvement box stores. I use it for lining my fish box and it does not appear to take on water. You can also purchase sheets of Styrofoam at the same stores that sell the pink/blue foam boards. In case you are wondering, there is no real difference in the foam material used to make the pink and blue boards, just different manufacturers branding their product by color.