Slightly bent clamp screw

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Slightly bent clamp screw

Post by SalmonAddict » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:57 am

Well long story short, one of the 9.8hp merc's clamp screw is now slightly bent thanks to siblings who said they'd take care of it over the weekend.

Before resorting to buying a whole new swivel/clamp setup, anyone have a clever idea to get the clamp screw back in straight alignment?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Slightly bent clamp screw

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:01 pm

3 blocks in a vice.

2 blocks 'under' the screw ends.

1 block 'over' the bent spot.

screw vice closed until screw is straight.

Or the same thing in a hydraulic press.
Tom.

Interests: living

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm with AMX, but only if you can take the screw out of the clamp housing first....otherwise you risk destroying the mount altogether. Just my 2c.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:56 am

I say remove it and try to straighten it. If it is to bent to remove and your unbent one will unscrew completely and you can buy a new one. Cut your old one off just prior to the bend and then unscrew from bracket and install new one. Good luck, most of those with a slight bend will cause you or your motor no harm but I understand perfection!!

Good luck if you get stuck or need more help post some pictures of how bad it is and I am sure we the club will chime in with some direction.

Tight lines.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:44 am

Here is a pic of the best angle I can get
Attachments
image.jpg

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:47 am

Amx wrote:3 blocks in a vice.

Man I feel sort of uncomfortable with that haha
Hunter757 wrote:I say remove it and try to straighten it. If it is to bent to remove and your unbent one will unscrew completely and you can buy a new one. Cut your old one off just prior to the bend and then unscrew from bracket and install new one. Good luck, most of those with a slight bend will cause you or your motor no harm but I understand perfection!!

Good luck if you get stuck or need more help post some pictures of how bad it is and I am sure we the club will chime in with some direction.

Tight lines.
Hmm, cutting off the old one sounds like a good idea.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:52 am

SalmonAddict wrote:
Amx wrote:3 blocks in a vice.

Man I feel sort of uncomfortable with that haha
That's how a shop would do it if you took it to a shop. If you use a long pipe on one end, and try to bend it, it could and probably would squish the threads where the pipe is used, AND the other end where it's in a vice. Blocks of wood lets the threads dig into the wood and not squish the threads.
Tom.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:34 am

I would make sure the screw and clamp are as greased as you can get them if, you're set on fixing the sccrews. Aluminum is funny stuff, you start backing that bent screw out and it starts to get tight, you think oh, just a little more and it galls. Now you have a screw that has welded it's self inside the clamp. The pressure/heat created by the bent threads rubbing against each other create an astounding amount of heat. My advice is bite the bullet buy the new screw clamps, cut the old ones out and be happy you only bought the screws. I just don't like turning a little job into a big one. I'm normally all over DIY stuff but in this case, its a little job into a huge one............
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:46 am

Cut it off and install a new one. Make sure if you cut the bolt and then drive the cut part thru your motor holder you file the edges down around the cut to make sure you don't scratch or mar the threads. I flat file will make sure quick work of it. Down and dirty and clean. I like saving money but not on something like that. Good luck!!
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Hunter757 wrote:Cut it off and install a new one. Make sure if you cut the bolt and then drive the cut part thru your motor holder you file the edges down around the cut to make sure you don't scratch or mar the threads. I flat file will make sure quick work of it. Down and dirty and clean. I like saving money but not on something like that. Good luck!!
Yep
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:18 pm

That would be the best way, if the screw is aluminum it won't bend easy. Al likes to break instead. I checked the screw on my motor and it's not magnetic, so it must be al. I'm not going to crawl under the stuff, or move stuff around to drag out the motor to see for sure, but I'm sure it's aluminum.
Tom.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:21 pm

On my Merc the screws are steel through aluminum. Prime for galling.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:37 pm

If it is pot metal it might not be magnetic. As opposed to real steel. I don't remember very many pot metal objects being magnetic. :-k
Tom.

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Stainless steels (at least austenitic, 300 series) are non-magnetic as well. Looks like some of the threads may have stripped on that as well, but hard to tell from the image. So replace if the threads are damaged, or like stated above you could end up with it stuck in the threads.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

So after looking a bit more at your picture your screw looks to be a Mercury Quicksilver OEM 10-77190A3 Screw Assembly Thumb Clamp. These can be had on Ebay for cheap. I would just unscrew your small bolt from the end to release the large flange from the screw and then just unscrew your bolt the rest of the way out and install the new. You can see how this is put together on some of the listings on Ebay. Under 25 bucks easy fix. Even cheaper if you go used.
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:22 am

Hunter757 wrote:So after looking a bit more at your picture your screw looks to be a Mercury Quicksilver OEM 10-77190A3 Screw Assembly Thumb Clamp. These can be had on Ebay for cheap. I would just unscrew your small bolt from the end to release the large flange from the screw and then just unscrew your bolt the rest of the way out and install the new. You can see how this is put together on some of the listings on Ebay. Under 25 bucks easy fix. Even cheaper if you go used.
Awesome!

Thanks a bunch everyone!