Mercury 2 stoke timing

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Yatabata
Petty Officer

Re: Mercury 2 stoke timing

Post by Yatabata » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Fire the motor up after resetting the timing and the link and sink steps. Motor runs great, pees and brought the rpm up but not over what it states in the instructions. Next step is to get it out on the water to see how she runs under load.
https://youtu.be/Ws8EcmVJExE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:10 pm

You should NEVER rev a 2-stroke in neutral or while on the hose. At most, you should not exceed 1200rpm in neutral while on the hose or your may see internals finding an exit.

Make it a practice to only advance the throttle if in gear going somewhere. Good to see you making progress. [wink]

Edit: If you're interested, a genuine service manual for your engine serial number is still available from Mercury. I can assist you in that if you want one.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Yatabata
Petty Officer

Post by Yatabata » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 am

Ok thanks for the heads up on the Rev rpm while in neutral and ear muffs. As far as the service manuel I sent an email to mercury and they responded back that they have one the I can buy online from them. All they need is the serial number and I'd details. The Seloc is way too generic. I did have trouble starting it after it sat for over a year which I will never do again. The neutral safety switch corroded up and had to replace it. It was fun to trouble shoot. Took the boat on the water yesterday and ran great. Once I get the manual will verify I set everything right before I go out again. Going to remove it from the boat next fall to clean it as best possible and store it in the garage. Not a rough weather fisherman. Thanks for all your suggestions.