Would like to fish through the winter-Do I need to winterize

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
avex
Angler

Would like to fish through the winter-Do I need to winterize

Post by avex » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:04 am

Hi All,

My dad and I fish east of the mountains in WA state in a 16ft Boston Whaler with a 115hp Outboard. Each winter we have the boat winterized until summer as the temps frequently dip below freezing. This winter however we would like to still be out fishing on those cold sunny days. The boat is kept covered under a car port outside. How dangerous would it be to not winterize the boat and what would the risks be besides the engine cracking from freezing water? Also is there any ways to prevent this?

Thank you

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Would like to fish through the winter-Do I need to winte

Post by Amx » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:39 am

If you 'winterize' the motor and then run the motor a month later the 'winterization' will go away. Then if you let the motor sit for a month before you run it again, you might have to 'winterize' each month if you only run it once a month and then let it sit again.
Tom.

Interests: living

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:05 am

The only thing I do is when I pull the boat up out of the water I just lower the motor and allow ALL the water to drain out then raise the motor and head home. Also I don't use the livewell pump or wash down pump during the winter. Just a couple things to keep in mind, carry some sand or kitty litter with you(ramps can be slick), never try to launch during the freezing weather unless you have four wheel drive or at least front wheel drive, and when pulling your boat out of the water drive ahead slowly and stop every couple feet to allow water to drain from the boat and trailer at the edge of the water line. This helps keep the ramp a little drier for the next guy

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:11 am

I agree with Hewesbob. If you use your outboard at least once a month through the winter, no need to "winterize". As mentioned, ALWAYS trim full down and let drain completely. When pulling out, I pull forward until the transom is just at water's edge, then trim full down and drain engine. Once done, I pull to parking area and repeat while readying everything to leave. This ensures all water has drained from engine.

When you get home, ALWAYS store the outboard in full down position. If you don't stabilize your fuel, you should ADD stabilizer to keep your fuel fresh. Marine Sta-Bil is a good all purpose choice.

Very important to know for certain your lower unit lube is water free. Annual changes, including drain and vent plugs seals, will minimize risk of water intrusion.

Plan to not use livewells or washdown pumps (if you have one) unless you run RV antifreeze through them prior to and after every outing to ensure no water is in the lines.

Not knowing the brand and model 115hp you have that's the best I can offer.

I fish more in winter than any other time of year and in air temps down to near freezing. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:27 am

Good post. I'm do the same and my Seahawk is stored in a heated garage, so no cold or rain water issues.. This is the third boat I've handled like that since I moved to Seattle in 1980 and I've never had problems. I do have a battery charger/maintainer hooked up to both batteries

salmonkiller
Petty Officer

Post by salmonkiller » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:36 am

Lower all the outboards to drain all the water out, turn the main motor to one side so the searing rod is not exposed to the elements, Unhook the wash down hose and let all the water drain out of the pump/motor, and plug in the trickle charger. I usually get out a least once a month during the winter months, but this winter im getting a puppy so............ I probably wont be out as often..