South Sound access

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
jacobscreek
Angler

South Sound access

Post by jacobscreek » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:43 pm

I am rigging my 21' cuddy with downriggers and looking forward to crabbing and trolling Puget Sound. I live on the eastside and looking for a boat launch on the sound. I also would like to know if the expense of a trolling motor is really needed on the sound. Any ideas?
Jerry Bohrer
TMC (SW) USN RET

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:South Sound access

Post by A9 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:09 pm

I'd have to say yes on the trolling motor. The only salmon you are going to do ok for trolling for is silvers cause they like the presentation fast...But other then that, pinks and kings/blackmouth don't like the bait to be zipping through the water....

Think of it this way. If you buy a new trolling motor, it'll cost you somewhere in the range of $1500-$2000 for a good, new model used 4 stroke kicker (8hp or 9.9) and when trolling your putting a lot of hours on your motor...So do you want to be putting hours on a $1500 kicker motor or the big main engine which is going to be much more expensive to fix if something happens....

There's boat launches all over. South sound, sound, elliot bay area, etc...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

jacobscreek
Angler

Post by jacobscreek » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:25 am

Thanks for the advice and the information.
Jerry Bohrer
TMC (SW) USN RET

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am

With a 21' boat your best bet will be to launch at Pt Defiance then head south and go through the Narrows.