1983 Mercury 9.8 hp question?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Firetiger
Warrant Officer

1983 Mercury 9.8 hp question?

Post by Firetiger » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:41 pm

I have a 1983 Mercury 9.8 hp question?

I have a 1983 Mercury outboard 9.8 HP that hasn't been run in years. Can I run E-10 fuel in the motor? If not, where can I can purchase outboard 50:1 premix?

Thanks
Steve

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: 1983 Mercury 9.8 hp question?

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:23 pm

That motor was built well before E10 became a requirement, so I doubt the fuel lines, fuel pump diaphragm, etc are E10 safe - unless someone has replaced them all. If you are uncertain on that, then I would only use Ezero fuel. You can find non-ethanol in pretty much every city. Just google non-ethanol gas stations for websites that will tell you where to go.

There are also several apps for your phone that will tell you the nearest station to your location as well as the current price. I use Puregas on my android phone.

I dont know of anyone selling premix except in very small containers - like 1 qt IIRC. You will need to mix it yourself.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:44 pm

find a Ethanol free gas station and fill you can and mix it your self. Good luck.
Last edited by Hunter757 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Canned Premix is not for outboards period. Don't do it. The premix is for yard equipment only. OB's should only use FC-W, TC-W2 or TC-W3 oils as prescribed by NMMA. Most OB manufactures oils exceed the standards. I've been running an early 80's Johnson since it was new and I never ever, ever, ever, ever, buy special fuel, it's not necessary. Go to the marine store and buy the oil that's for outboards and mix up a tank. if you're worried, put in some Stabil. The only thing I ever do is make sure the carb and lines are dry when I put it away. I've never pulled on the rope more than 4 times before she fires and runs every year. It's had two tune ups in the last 30 years. And it's still using the original fuel line that came with it. Ethanol can only hurt it if it's wet, period, no discussion. Early 80's 2 stokes are a very mature technology CDI ignitions and plenty of power to weight. If the carb is clean, the most you should have to do is maybe put in a couple of new plugs.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:15 pm

I forgot about that, Bodofish is right on the premix, sorry about that. But I am a fan of Non ethanol fuel for all my toys, chainsaw, generator, weedwacker, boat. You get the idea.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:29 pm

Hunter757 wrote:I forgot about that, Bodofish is right on the premix, sorry about that. But I am a fan of Non ethanol fuel for all my toys, chainsaw, generator, weedwacker, boat. You get the idea.
Im with Hunter757 on this.

I have spent countless hours fiddling with too many older outboards that had serious problems due to E10 issues - water in the fuel, plugged up fuel filters from the water and from hoses dissolving, fuel pumps going out at bad times (is there any good time for that to happen?), primer bulbs rotting away, carbs plugged up, etc, etc.

I did not believe all the bad press E10 was getting until we got frustrated trying to get an older Johnson to run right. We took it in to the local mechanic and he called us back a few hours later to tell us we needed to replace every rubber and plastic part of the fuel system. I was sure we were being ripped off.

He proceeded to pull off fuel lines and cut them open so I could see the inside. He did the same with some plastic parts on the fuel filter and showed me what was left of the fuel pump diaphragm.

Its well proven that E10 eats away rubber and plastic lines and parts that are made from the wrong materials. We used to run our carb dry at the end of the day - most days - but that doesnt get all the fuel out of all the lines and there is still the issue of E10 absorbing more water than Ezero.

Bodofish might be getting away with using E10 - and there are lots of other people who do too - but I am a believer in using Ezero.

Eric the boat guy
Petty Officer

Post by Eric the boat guy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:30 pm

From the mechanics stand point e10 is literally a pain in our ass. All my large boat customers have bought non ethanol fuel at the fuel dock because they are not trailerable boats and see little trouble with fuel. Trailered boat have caused my carb rebuilding skills to skyrocket the last 8 or so years. If you can buy fuel on the water its ethano free. That's being said my small boat have been run on e10 because it's a freshwater boat and with proper maintenece and use of ethanol stabilizing fuel treatment like like mercurys quick klean, stabil boat formula( blue not red) and Yamahas product will help combat the e10 bug. Like they said, ethanol will hold 125 percent of its weight in water. At the end of the season dump the fuel in your lawnmower and store the can in a dry clean place til next season.
If it ant broke don't fix it, otherwise pay the guy to do it right!