size of motor for trolling

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
iasm
Petty Officer

size of motor for trolling

Post by iasm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:03 pm

Hello
I have a 5 horse Johnson and a 7.7 Honda. The Honda is long shaft about 25 yrs old and the Johnson 2 stroke is early fifty's.
I was looking at the tahatsu 6 horse or the 9.8 that weights around 20 pounds more. I use the 14ft boast they rent at resorts. I like the 9.8 but am concerned it will go slow enough at idle for trolling. If I go with the smaller engine it will be lighter and likely slower but it will take me longer to get up lake. Please tell me what you guys would suggest.
Thanks
Rod

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Re: size of motor for trolling

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:48 am

you may be able to enjoy the best of both worlds if you put a trolling plate on the back of the 9.8.

With a smaller motor you might complain the boat doesn't go fast enough at full throttle.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:24 am

The final drive and prop size determine how slow the motor will push the boat. The final drive on the Tohatsu 6hp is 2.15 and the final drive on the 8 and 9.8hp is 2.08. The 6hp swings a 7.7" x 8p prop and the non-high thrust models of the 8hp & 9.8 swing an 8.5" x 8p. For slow trolling at or near idle, there will be very little difference between these 3 outboards, but the 6hp would troll slowest in dead calm water and no wind. The 8hp and 9.8hp weigh the same, and IMHO, the extra 1.8hp isn't worth an additional $200 in purchase price.

Tohatsu manufactures these outboards for Mercury and I've owned the 6hp and currently own the 8hp, both good outboards, but I disliked the single cylinder thump of the 6hp and for that reason only would never own another. My $.02.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

iasm
Petty Officer

Post by iasm » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks for the replies. My only concern is im 61 and will an 80lb motor get to heavy as I age. Does not feel that heavy now.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:03 am

Manual start short shaft Tohatsu 6hp is 57lbs and long shaft is 59lbs. The 8hp short shaft is 82lbs and the long shaft is 84lbs. I'm same age as you and would prefer not to hand carry an 80lb+ outboard. If the rental places have motor carts, or you have a helper, no problem. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:13 am

hewesfisher wrote:Manual start short shaft Tohatsu 6hp is 57lbs and long shaft is 59lbs. The 8hp short shaft is 82lbs and the long shaft is 84lbs. I'm same age as you and would prefer not to hand carry an 80lb+ outboard. If the rental places have motor carts, or you have a helper, no problem. [wink]
Yeah, that lifting outboards thing is no good, and trying to carry one is way worse. You will need a cart, well worth any money you have to spend for them. Buy a cart or modify a hand truck.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

iasm
Petty Officer

Post by iasm » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:22 pm

I do have a cart but have only used it to store the motor. I think dealing with the extra weight would be worth a little more power. Im also thinking I could keep using the long shaft 7.5 Honda but it is a hassle with the prop so low since im using it on aluminum row boats.Its about the same weight as the 9.8 im concidering.