Mounting a fish finder on inflatable

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
pizzaman
Petty Officer

Mounting a fish finder on inflatable

Post by pizzaman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:05 pm

I'm looking to mount a fish finder on my inflatable boat. Its a Sea Eagle. The easiest solution seems to be to mount the transducer onto the electric trolling motor. I've read a few web pages that say to mount somewhere there is no turbulence and not near the motor. I guess I'm looking for advice. Would that be a solution? They sell mounts that are made for that so I assume it's not a terrible idea.

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Mounting a fish finder on inflatable

Post by BentRod » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Sure, you can mount it on the electric with a proper mounting bracket. Another option is to buy or make a removable mount that you can hang over the side or off the back. I built one out of a 1 x 2 and clamp it to my transom. Lots of options if your handy.

pizzaman
Petty Officer

Post by pizzaman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:20 pm

BentRod, that's what I was starting to think too. It wouldn't be to difficult to rig up so I could easily switch it between the sea eagle and my kayak. I have a small scooter battery to use in the kayak

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Yup, that'd be simple enough. I wired my FF so I could hook it to my trolling motor batter or a smaller 12v to make it more portable. Works well.

shorebound
Angler

Post by shorebound » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 am

I have a se9 myself and I went with the deeper fish finder route. as far as mounting goes in your case, I would look into ram mounts, I bought 2 and permanently installed them right behind the back hole the motor mount goes into. Then I bought a clamp on ram mount to easily mount by where the pins insert. Good luck with your decision!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:46 am

http://www.fishfindermounts.com/#!Sea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Eagle Fold Cat fish finder setup/zoom/c1vpz/image_19oj

This is a company that I recently switched up to. It allows me to mount any FF that you can imagine, way beyond your scope of need. I have a 7" color gps, SI, DSI, Humminbird mounted on my float tube.
The link is supposed to go to a page that shows there mounts to inflatables. You may have to poke around a bit within the website.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Check out Scotty.
They have some interesting transducer mounts.
I just purchased a Sea Eagle pontoon boat today and was looking at mounting a sonar unit and transducer.
Scotty has has some really cool mounting solutions.

Disruptive
Angler

Post by Disruptive » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:21 am

I recommend ram mounts. I got the 1.5" Scotty ball mount with a 6x2 plate. I attach transducer and FF to the same plate and hand the transducer off the side. Very quick and easy to setup. I tried to attach a photo but it says invalid picture. I also recommend buying more Scotty glue on pads and attaching as many as you can/want at one time. The 2 part glue is expensive.
Attachments
FF.jpg
FF.jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 2648 times