longshaft on a short transom?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
dbrowning
Petty Officer

longshaft on a short transom?

Post by dbrowning » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:38 pm

I am going to upgrade my outboard next spring on my 14' Valco and am thinking about a 15 or 20 hp motor. I have noticed that a lot of these motors that are used have been longshafts. I know you can use a longshaft on a short transom. I've also heard that you give up some top end speed because of the drag. I was just wondering everyone's thoughts on the subject and if anyone was running a set up like this. Thanks a lot for the info and advice. If anyone has one they want to sell in the spring also let me know. I wont be back from overseas until then so I'll have to wait. Can't wait to get back on that water!!
<>< David

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:longshaft on a short transom?

Post by A9 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:16 pm

Ya needa get the right length for the motor shaft. Unless it's just a trolling motor on a bigger boat, like a 5 horse or electric Minn Kota, it shouldn't matter, but if your going to be pushing a 14 footer with a 15 or 20 (I'd go with as much HP as the boat can take) then you definetely need to match up the shaft length of the motor with the transom height. Also, search craigslist, there's tons of shortshaft motors for sale used
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

dbrowning
Petty Officer

Post by dbrowning » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:17 pm

Is it that you can't use the long shaft. I've read on other boating forums that long shafts can be used on short transoms but you give a little bit of speed up, and not much. I'm trying to learn and will definetely go with the short shaft if I can, maybe I'll just have to wait until the right one comes along. I am patient. Thanks for the advice about craigslist too, I look there all the time and you're right. I saw two motors that were short shaft, 15 hp in the last couple days or so. I've also heard like you said to get as much hp as the boat will handle. My boats rated for up to 20 hp. Any idea what kind of difference we're talking about on speed?

Upon further research I've found that the question has been debated back and forth. I think I'll stick with your advice and go with the short shaft. Why not? I may have to wait a bit but it's probably the smart thing to do and might save me some headaches in the future. Thanks a lot for taking the time to let me know what you thought.
<>< David
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:19 pm

An extra 5 hp will probably help you get on plane with another guy. It does depend on weight of your boat too. My 12 footer weighs around 180, plus an 80lb motor (15horse) and plus a gas tank and average amount of gear and me your looking at about 200 more lbs. So your looking at 460 lbs. So I got a 15 horse on that and when I'm solo in it with no one else and a very empty tank and no gear I can absolutely haul. No wake and in the slightest chop I can't keep the boat in the water.

But I can also load the boat up with 400 more lbs (2 more guys) and still get on plane with me and and a bunch of crabbing gear. So over 600 lbs of gear) And by myself I can still troll nice and slow for the big kings and pinks. I'd definetely go 20 hp with a Valco though. The most hp you can load up a small aluminum boat is definetely in your best interest. Take your time and check out dealerships that sell used outboards and get a shortshaft 20 horse...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:23 pm

dbrowning wrote:Is it that you can't use the long shaft. I've read on other boating forums that long shafts can be used on short transoms but you give a little bit of speed up, and not much. I'm trying to learn and will definetely go with the short shaft if I can, maybe I'll just have to wait until the right one comes along. I am patient. Thanks for the advice about craigslist too, I look there all the time and you're right. I saw two motors that were short shaft, 15 hp in the last couple days or so. I've also heard like you said to get as much hp as the boat will handle. My boats rated for up to 20 hp. Any idea what kind of difference we're talking about on speed?

Upon further research I've found that the question has been debated back and forth. I think I'll stick with your advice and go with the short shaft. Why not? I may have to wait a bit but it's probably the smart thing to do and might save me some headaches in the future. Thanks a lot for taking the time to let me know what you thought.
<>< David
Here's another thought for you, if you have a long shaft (20") motor on a short shaft transom, that puts the lower unit 5" deeper in the shallow water too. I have a question for you, since I don't know what the debate was over this topic in the other forums you've read, what is the supposed benefit from the choice? If it were me, I'd outfit the boat with the motor that is correct for the transom. You'll have a better handling package that way.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

DH
Petty Officer

Post by DH » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:06 pm

Measure your transom and get the shaft length and horse power you need. 15" to 17" needs a short shaft and 18" to 21" needs a long shaft motor. Hope this helps. 15" motor shaft is short and 20" motor shaft is long. DH