Boaters Education Card

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
sickbayer
Commodore

Boaters Education Card

Post by sickbayer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Finally did mine last night after sorting through all the paying programs in the class and online http://www.parks.wa.gov/boating/boatere ... rseoptions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I ended up using the free online http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/Washington.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; class and printed off the completed class and final test now in the mail. :cheers:
I will say its a good progam and seems as good as the other paying online classes you are timed so you cant skip through to finish early. Which is a good thing.

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Boaters Education Card

Post by G-Man » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:20 pm

I took my one day course and exam with the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary. I've had my card for a while now but no one has ever checked for it, not even the jerk who patrols Lake Washington. Do I really look so old that I'd be exempt?!

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Had mine for about a year now and have been checked twice. Once by the sheriff while in the middle of a hot kokanee bite on Lake Shannon and once by the Coast Guard Auxiiary after loading the boat on the trailer at Shilshole Marina.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:43 pm

I've had my since they made the requirenment... Oh wait thats not for a few more years for me. Meh...did it anyways, just logged in and took the test. I've never been asked to see it but then I don't often do things that would beg for an ask........ 8-[ :-" [flapper]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:41 pm

I need to get my wife and I signed up. Being later on the list I've been putting it off.
Thinking of doing a Saturday 8hr Coast Guard Auxiliary safety course, sounds kinda fun.

Grew up on the water with an ex Coast Guard father who was quite a skipper, he would appreciate these
requirements that have been implemented.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:11 pm

I qualify for the exempt testing status, Merchant Mariner License, but since this link was provided, I'm doing the course while watching TV, having dinner and chit chattin with the better half. 2 sections down, 4 to go! Yee Haw! Thanks for the link SB!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Should be slam dunk! I passed it the first try just wondering if I could. I missed the question about how much water to drink to be safe....... :scratch:
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:16 pm

What age is the Boater safety card required for? I did the test in 2009. At that time the test came with the study book. Take as long or short a time as you wanted to complete the test. Mail in the test in the self addressed envelope, to be scored. With a $10.00 fee for the Boater safety license. I didn't need it for 3 or 4 more years. Isn't the requirement, for operating a gas motor on a boat of more than 15hp?

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 pm

I also looked at it a few years ago, and it seemed that you just take the test. Now it seems to have evolved into actually doing a class. Some of the questions really are a no brain'er, but judging by the amount of stupid things I have seen, and simple statistics of injuries and accidents . I am happy that new boaters are required to have this card.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Here is the chart for our State's boating license requirements. Basically if it floats and has a motor on it of 15 or more hp, you'll need one unless you were born prior to 1954.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Oh yeah I'm 40 this year.....yohoo......NOT.

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Bill and I took the class the first or second year it was offered just to take it since neither of us have to take it. The cop shop where we used to live put on the class and it was interesting. We passed and got our proof of that but never sent in for the cards since we don't need them.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:56 am

Yet....

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:24 am

Yo will need one if you were born in 1955.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:04 am

I don't think anyone should be exempt, there are so many idiots on the water. Even if everyone had one, there are
those who are just plain stupid or lack common sense.

Your age doesn't buy you wisdom on the water, time operating a vessel does. There shouldn't be any group exempt!

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 pm

guess i fall into the double exempt catagory as i have a valid merchant mariners document from the coast guard as well as being born in 1953. think i'll take the course as well...

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Training, for free! No brainer, more is better and it's offered at the right price......

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/Washington.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:04 pm

This class does nothing to fix stupid! Yet, stupid is the reason for this class.

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:25 pm

it's only common sense that we all should be on the same page when it comes to safe boating practices, rules of the road, ect. unfortunately i'm sure many of us have experience with people that have the ability to study, take tests, and pass them with flying colors, only to go out and put this knowledge into practice and totally screw things up and put themselves and others in dangerous situations. common sense is not always so common...

P-FITZ98
Angler

Post by P-FITZ98 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 am

I just finished the online course.A little time consuming yet painless, and I learned some things.I just turned 39,so it was required,but not a bad idea for anyone on the water,IMO.