Bilge pump

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
johnsgonefishin
Petty Officer

Bilge pump

Post by johnsgonefishin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:14 pm

I am new to boating, bought my 14foot starcraft SF about a year ago. I just bought a 1500gph bilge pump for it mainly because it takes on water when the electric trolling motor is on the transom and I am planing with the gas motor, or sometimes in heavy water like 2-3 foot rollers. I am hooking it up with a switch and bought a 5 foot hose for it and clamped it on.

My big question is, do I just run this over the transom or do I drill some type of hole or is there a device that goes in my drain hole I can connect it to that wont let water in but will push it out when I flip the switch. I know this is probably a pretty stupid question but I have looked all over the internet and cannot figure out what haul- through pipe things are or if it would work through my drain hole. I am kinda hesitant to drill a hole in the side of the boat or the transom. None of my friends have bilge pumps so they really do not know.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Bilge pump

Post by Amx » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Run it over the side, will work great.

Or drill a hole just under the top of the gunnel. You can get a thru-side fitting from Bass Pro Shops, Cabellas and your local boating store.
Tom.

Interests: living

wdavis10
Petty Officer

Post by wdavis10 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:00 pm

how about some wire ties and attatch to motor, you can also apply some screw in type wire clamps and run them up high - leave your drain hole alone

johnsgonefishin
Petty Officer

Post by johnsgonefishin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks I hooked it up to the battery- put in an on/ off switch( I do not need a float as I am in the boat when its on the water.) and wrapped the outlet around the electric motor. I might have to play with that later to make sure it does not affect the boat on a plane(ie spray water in the boat from the hose being a little low). Thank you for all the advice.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:08 pm

johnsgonefishin wrote:Thanks I hooked it up to the battery- put in an on/ off switch( I do not need a float as I am in the boat when its on the water.) and wrapped the outlet around the electric motor. I might have to play with that later to make sure it does not affect the boat on a plane(ie spray water in the boat from the hose being a little low). Thank you for all the advice.
INLINE FUSE??? I made the mistake of temping in a boom box off one of my batteries without an inline fuse, shorted out
melted the wire insulation within a huge white cloud, luckly didn't have a fire, Smoked my boombox. [scared]

Jerry H
Warrant Officer

Post by Jerry H » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Instead of wrapping it around the motor get a couple 90 degree hose fittings. Measure and cut one piece of hose the length required to go from the pump to the top of the transom insert a 90 degree angle fitting. Next cut a short piece of hose to go across the top of the transom. Insert a 90 degree angle fitting. Next cut a piece of hose about 6 inches long and insert into end of fitting. This will create an upside down "U" that will stay inplace over the transom.