Are you a Boat Ramp Hog?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Big D

RE:Are you a Boat Ramp Hog?

Post by Big D » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:15 am

Here's my solution to long lines at the boat launch my only problem is...where do I mount my kicker?

eaGLNcIkSm0
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:42 am

That thing looks like a blast to drive!!! I want 1 :bounce:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:42 am

I am all over one of those as soon as they have four stroke power!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:17 am

tallman8251 wrote:Hey Guys, just wanted to post this. Was out recently and it amazes me the amount of people who have no Boat Ramp Etiquette. Most of you this doesnt apply to, but maybe someone will get the hint. Have a great weekend.

Waiting in line at the boat ramp is a fact of life, but when someone blocks a ramp while they load their boat with fishing gear, have problems getting the motor started or experience some other delay, tempers can flair. Follow these guidelines to help keep the line moving. Or, print a copy and hand it to others who might need some "education."

Launching
Prepare boat at far end of parking lot. This includes installing transom plug, raising Bimini top, loading gear, placing fenders, readying dock lines, checking fuel, finding key and turning on battery switch.

Once you are 100% ready, get your truck in line to use the ramp.

When it’s your turn, back down the ramp, get your boat off the trailer and quickly move your truck to the parking lot. Someone on your boat should immediately start the boat’s engine and move it away from the dock (so the next person can immediately use the ramp.)

Do not put your boat in the water, then prepare or load it while at the ramp.

Retrieving
Organize your gear while underway back to the ramp area.

Approach the ramp area, drop off the passengers and move away from the dock while your partner is getting the truck. Dont tie up the dock.

Have someone get the truck and trailer from the parking lot. They should wait in the truck line until it’s your turn.

While one person backs the trailer down the ramp, have the other person drive the boat on to the trailer.

Once boat is on trailer, raise the propeller and immediately move boat to the far end of the parking lot. Remove transom plug and gear. Turn off battery. Lower Bimini top and install tie-downs. Only now is it okay to take your time.

Do not tie boat up at the ramp and then leave to get your truck. This can enrage other boaters.

Remember to be well prepared and to know your launching/retrieving routine. Do each task in the same order every time. Having a checklist allows you to quickly proceed through each task without fear of forgetting something important (like the drain plug!)

Really, all of these things are relative to the situation and dock. At lake sammamish on a hot saturday at noon, yeah.. don't tie up the dock if you dont' have to. float around while someone gets the truck ready and then come back.

but at a much larger dock, when nobody's waiting on you...

it's really just common sense and I think it's wrong to rush anyone!! A lot of people spend a lot of money they don't have on a big truck and boat combo and only get to take them out a handful of times per year. They have to relearn their truck and boat each time they go out, and SHOULD NOT FEEL RUSHED at the dock!

Personally, I've taken a boat out proably 25 times in 2009. I've taken my dad's big Lund out probably 15 times. I feel very comfortable with it and can move pretty good. But it takes a few trips before you remember EVERYTHING on the first try... like plugs... LOL and straps... also LOL... And it's wrong to rush people who are still learning...
Bodofish wrote:I'd just like to add]

exactly.

My dad and my father in law both tend to lose the fun in boating because they constantly feel rushed at the docks. It makes people feel stressed, and sometimes make mistakes (like raising the prop...oops). People should not be rushed. Yes we can prep before launch, but it takes time for people to learn the ropes.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 pm

Haha I remember before we were coming in from fishing and the guy had launched his boat i guess. We thought he was going to be bringing in his boat because it was tied up right at the front of the dock over at Brownsville Marina. Well I guess he was coming down with his family to bring his boat out and was lolligagging around for 5 minutes after he got down to his boat. My dad exploded on him to gtfo the way. I thought it was funny, because the guy ended up being a guy that was a teacher and coach at my former high school and I had another friend that went to high school also there with us.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:05 am

As a taxpayer and a boat launch fee paying person I will launch my way.I dont give a rats petoot what DC says.Like was said before if youre in a rush launch that night before.If not. SHUT UP and git off my back and any others taking time to launch.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:25 am

racfish wrote:As a taxpayer and a boat launch fee paying person I will launch my way.I dont give a rats petoot what DC says.Like was said before if youre in a rush launch that night before.If not. SHUT UP and git off my back and any others taking time to launch.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: