Washington boaters education card

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
FishTank
Petty Officer

RE:Washington boaters education card

Post by FishTank » Fri May 21, 2010 12:09 pm

I took it this past winter because I'm 27 and am a new boat owner. I did it because it's now required if you're a certain age and will be required of just about everyone within a few years... One thing I do appreciate about the course is that it lays out some really easy to remember guidelines for boat operation while out on the water. There should be little confusion as to who is passing on what side while going down the lake at a decent speed.
Donny - Software Engineer

It's time to catch bass and chew bubble gum, guys... and I'm all out of gum

fishnazzi
Warrant Officer

Post by fishnazzi » Fri May 21, 2010 12:29 pm

No I haven't taken it................But in 1984 I did take the USCG 100 Masters lis. test.......passed and still hold it. So if they ask they can see that lis. and pound sand.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Fri May 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Without state management of the fisheries, there would be virtually no fisheries any more.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 21, 2010 1:44 pm

I live along or very near to Lk Wa. Ive gone to countless Seafairs all my life.The biggest problem I see is the biggest money maker for the state of Wa. That is liquor.Every year at seafair there are numerous accidents. Why?? Drinking while boating,No PFD's,Swimming amongst the boats on the lake.I dont think that a boaters safety card means squat if folks are out there drinking their guts out .Driving drunk or not having life jackets on cuz it ruins some chicks or guys tan.Is having a boaters safety card gonna change that? not in my opinion.Booze is a big money maker for this state and they would never admit that drinking is a major problem.It makes money for Chrissy and her band of idiots.Boating knowledge is great and very important to know there are rules. But when someone is drunk will they remember these rules? probably not.The idea is good but way too late. Stop drinking on boats and common sense might return while on the water.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat May 22, 2010 6:45 am

hewesfisher wrote:
jbball50 wrote:So who is enforcing the law on this anyways? Coast Guard, WDFW?
It's a state law, not federal, so no surprise your USCG Reserves friend had no knowledge unless he's a WA boat owner. To answer the question on enforcement, it's supposed to be enforced by the same folks that write tickets on the water for other state violations, respective county sheriff marine enforcement. Might even see some local municipality marine enforcement if they exist. While WDFW could possibly enforce the law, it's not a fish and wildlife issue.
I just wanted to help out by clarifying who enforces this and other RCW and WAC laws. The answer is any commissioned law enforcement officer. WDFW Officers are all commissioned and have been through the WA CJTC Academy in Burien, WA so they can enforce any law just as a police officer, deputy, or trooper can. I have a few friends who are WDFW officers and they actually make traffic stops and enforce the same stuff we do. I have a copy of their bail book (the book we use as a reference guide when issuing tickets. It has all the RCW’s in it including the bail or “fine” amounts and or classifies if the crime we are investigating is a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or a felony) and it contains all the same laws ours does. Anyway, Hope this helps.

Big Smooth
Petty Officer

Post by Big Smooth » Mon May 24, 2010 7:06 am

It's a great way to figure out where your at with your knowledge. I learned a few things, just by taking the course.

Gives me piece of mind.
I like it when I can call it Catching!

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Tue May 25, 2010 7:39 am

Big Smooth wrote:http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/

Course was free and they only charge you if you need it mailed to you.

Print a few copies for future use.

I did this and I think this qualifies...anyone else do this?
I did it and the course is free. You mail in your ten bucks and certificate of completion to the state and they send you a nifty "Washington State Boater Education Card" that is good for life. No big deal. All you conspiracy theorists, need to fish more and type less. :-({|= (Not referring to you Smooth)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 25, 2010 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.