Are you a Boat Ramp Hog?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
tmusky1
Lieutenant

RE:Are you a Boat Ramp Hog?

Post by tmusky1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:20 pm

Had a boat ramp experience today. Upon our arrival, we show up in time to witness a guy that launched a boat that obviously didn't start to begin with. He proceeds to drive his truck down the ramp and cram the boat sideways as close as possible to the truck so he could attempt to jump start the boat with the truck. You know, when it gets to that point, just put the S.O.B. back on the trailer and mess with it somewhere else. Well, he gets stuck in the gravel trying to back out with a trailer behind him so he had to screw around with his 4wd because his hubs wouldn't lock in. Meanwhile, there's probably 15 -20 kids swimming at the launch with their loser parents sitting there watching. That's the kind of stuff that makes you want to go all Deathrace on people. OK I'm done.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:35 am

And I'll bet that none of the other people there offered any help. The problem could have been solved in two minutes by marching over with a jump starter.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:38 am

[quote="Bodofish"]I'd just like to add]

You know... I got to go along with Bodofish on this. If the guy in front of you is too slow...then you didn't get to the ramp fast enough. It's real easy to launch at 5AM or 5:30...but real crowded at 11AM. That's when most of the newbies with minimal trailer experience show up.

It may be the boat owner (and truck driver) has the experience but he has a very raw crew with him that don't know the ropes (pun intended). I had three newbies with me yesterday and I wondered if they even knew enough to keep their feet out from underneath the trailer wheels. I know for sure I didn't trust them with backing the trailer up or running the boat.

Anyways... I agree with Bodofish on 1, 2 and 3. I'll let him speak for his wife.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks Bill! I'll just add she's been driving horse trailers since she was 14. And no the trailer wasn't pulled by other horses.............:-"
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:22 am

Launching isn't usually the problem, it's the retrieval especially at the Newport ramp as you don't have enough room to move around someone that has tied up too close to the ramp. There is a red line painted on the dock along with a sign stating not to tie up in front of it, but I think the summer sun interferes with a persons ability to apply reason and/or read. The other part that gets me is when you do offer to help one gets the, "no thanks I got it all under control response" and they are still at it 10 minutes later. The number one mistake that I see over and over is backing the trailer too far into the water for the retrieval. This really becomes a problem when it is windy and the trailer has no guides. I've seen guys pull up part way check alignment and then back in repeatedly to try and straighten things out. You are not going to float it on dead center so don't try! If I were to tie up the launch for more than a few minutes and inconvenience others, I'd feel like a heel. I guess that some folks are just not wired that way. While I'm on a minor rant, has anyone run into the ramp nazis at Don Armeni? Last year, on more than one occasion, we were threatened with a citation for trying to use the "launch" ramps to retrieve our boat while no one was in line to launch and the retrieval ramps were full. They wouldn't even let a person jump onto the "launch" docks to run and get the trailer. Reporting the issue to the City didn't help as they have more pressing issues to pursue like how to waste $9+ billion on a public transportation service.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:46 am

I'll also add I saw some poor guy at the Sammamish state park launch on Sunday that either didn't check out his motor or his battery as his boat was tied to the short dock and wasn't starting.

Bill

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:07 pm

these are all fresh water applictions. what about the salt when you got the tide, waves, lots of people waiting to launch. this is what me, my dad and uncle uncle get boat ready while waiting in line, once to ramp uncle and me get in to boat. dad parks truck while me and my uncle are out of the way in the boat waiting for my dad. this i at the mukilteo launch and coho and pink season is a mess
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:36 pm

With two or more people that can operate the boat and rig you shouldn't need the launch for more than a minute, fresh or salt. People and gear in the boat, back the rig into the water, start motor and back it out. You don't even need to tie up at the dock. Park the rig and board the boat at the end of the dock. Reverse the process to retrieve the boat. If the ramp is wide enough, you can do two or more at the same time. The problem arises when a person is by themselves or with those that can't handle the rig or the boat.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:31 pm

For those of you in a rush ,Git to the launch early.Who is anyone here to dictate how to use a launch.For all those in such a rush too bad.I take my time launching and retrieving cuz I dont want my boat and stuff banged up looking like a redneck.I launch my way taking my time. Dont like it launch elsewhere. or git a job with the state and make rules for launching. If not, those rules belong in the Honeybucket.Not everyone is a pro driver. Why should someone ruin their day cuz you late to the launch.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Carl762
Petty Officer

Post by Carl762 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:04 pm

whoa, I think we missed the point there.

Bottom line, whether you value your equipment or not, a little prep time before hogging up the ramp doesn't sound bad to me.

Everybody should look out for everyone.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:25 pm

This type of thread has been around for years.Every so often some guy whos late or had to go buy bait at the last minute or whatever is late to launch and gripes about everyone else.Not all boaters fish.Some just boat for fun. I do both.Im not a launch hog like the jet ski crowd I just take my time when I launch.Did I miss the point? nahhhhh...Im just making a point. The launches belong to all .Not just some guy who is late

Im not trying to be a jerk,Honest. I just learned with my health and body with all those miles on it,I need to go slower.I try to make more calculated moves more then when I was in my 30's.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:55 pm

This topic is always a volatile one but it is good to remind those new to boating what is expected of them. If you've taken a course in preparation for your boaters license, ramp etiquette is one of the topics covered. Yet there are always those folks who will go out of their way just to get a rise out of others, this thread is not directed at you. You are beyond help and we hope that you are next in line to a public restroom while someone sits on the can doing a crossword puzzle.

For those of you new to boating here is some quick math just to put things into perspective. If everyone took 10 minutes to launch or retrieve their boat, that's 6 boats per hour per ramp. There aren't enough launches to go around at that pace. Especially on lakes with one launch, that open up at a set time, like Lake Sammamish. Trim it down to 2 minutes to launch or retrieve and your looking at 30 boats per hour per ramp. The more you boat, the more comfortable you will get with launching and retrieving. Add in the preparation and tips from this site and you'll be helping your fellow fisherfolks to get more time on the water, and believe me it is appreciated.

I fish out of my boat year round and I have to say I enjoy the non Summer months the most. This can be attributed directly to ramp waits and boat traffic. I find that most people who fish get in and out in a hurry, it is typically the pleasure boaters who have no clue as to what they are doing. I hit the water early in the Summer so I miss most of the launching issues. The problem I have is if I don't want to wait forever to get my boat out of the water, I need to cut my fishing trip short or wait till it gets dark before heading back. Here's to hoping it rains every weekend for the next 3 months!

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:20 pm

PLEASE RAIN PLEASE RAIN OR OUTLAW WAKE BOARD BOATS!
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:41 pm

well i am a pro, however regardless off the situation you just "cant fix stupid"..... i back up everyday in work but there is a hella lot of people out there who only back up a few times a year during the summer for a few weeks then the boat is shoved in the garage for the rest of the year. Backing up issues i roll my eyes at. last year i saw a guy on lake samamish flip his 2 jet ski trailer over via jackknifing, only after he heard the wheel scrapping on the launch did he hang up his phone...i only want to see people prep better while in line.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:45 pm

On the phone while backing up, and a short trailer to boot? IDIOT! Image
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Good program Racfish.

tallman8251
Petty Officer

Post by tallman8251 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Its not being late that is the problem and yes the ramps belong to all I agree. Its about Common Courtesy, if a person is doing what they are supposed to be doing thats great even if takes them a little longer etc. But if you pull your boat out of the launch and park 20ft in front of the launch while you wipe down your boat and cover it up (like tonight), thats when I get frazzled. My dad is 79 and launches with me, yeah he takes his time, but he is courteous enough to not tie up the ramp doing the things that should be done else where.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:13 am

tallman8251 wrote:Its not being late that is the problem and yes the ramps belong to all I agree. Its about Common Courtesy, if a person is doing what they are supposed to be doing thats great even if takes them a little longer etc. But if you pull your boat out of the launch and park 20ft in front of the launch while you wipe down your boat and cover it up (like tonight), thats when I get frazzled. My dad is 79 and launches with me, yeah he takes his time, but he is courteous enough to not tie up the ramp doing the things that should be done else where.
I stand by what I've said, At most ramps the posted rules are very minimal and when the rules are not adheared to, it's normally because of ignorance. If you don't like waiting for newbies and idiots, don't go to the boat ramp when they are launching and certainly don't go to the popular launches like say Magnuson Park or Coulon. I never run into noobs when I launch at 5:30 in the morning and getting out is never a problem as it's normally posted that pull outs have the right away. I'm willing to bet that not too many of you have actually stood in front of the sign with the rules posted and read all of them. Even though you've had plenty of time to do so while waiting for the offensive launchers. If it's really that offensive go help them and educate them. If you're all about courtesy then you'd be over helping with the problem instead of complaining about it. From what I've observed, most people just sit back, watch and throw tantrums. Ask them if they have their boaters safety card yet. Do you? There is no excuse for not having one, regardless of your age.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:51 am

I'd like to say thanks to the JetSki guy, on the dock one from the end, who helped me recover my boat Sunday. The wind and wake were giving me alot of grief. It was just me and a 7 year old in the boat and I simply couldnt do it by my self considering the conditions.

Thanks Dude! :cheers:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:01 am

And sometimes a person will just have a bad day, regardless how often or how many years the person has been launching and retrieving boats/watercraft. Image
Tom.

Interests: living