Help!!!! I need a oil tank for a 2003 mercury 90hp 2 stroke

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Ryan_1
Petty Officer

Help!!!! I need a oil tank for a 2003 mercury 90hp 2 stroke

Post by Ryan_1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:48 pm

:fish: Hi y'all,
I have a 2003 Mercury 90hp 2 stroke that i have had since new and my oil tank that is inside the cowling got a whole in it from an electrical short:eye: . The only problem is that mercury does not make this oil tank anymore. so if an of you could help me out with finding one that would be great.

Thanks,
Ryan

hewesfisher
Admiral

RE:Help!!!! I need a oil tank for a 2003 mercury 90hp 2 stroke

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:04 am

Have you tried the Mercury Parts Express website? You just need to enter your engine serial number on their form and it will list all parts available for your motor. I find it hard to believe that tank is not available, there were millions of those motors produced and the tank is a common item for the 75/90/115hp motors.

I'd try the website first, if that's a no-go then see if you can get a part number for it and start searching for new old stock. That's what I'd do.:bball:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:04 am

That would be my first try as well. Other places to try would be IBoats or Ebay. Lots of parted motors end up there. I'm pretty sure the tank is polyethylene and being such is almost impossible to repair. What is the whole like? If its small can you drill and tap it and put in a screw? The stuff is tough to glue, nothing sticks to it. Sometimes you can use a plastic welder or simillar heat source and melt some poly back into the hole. Maybe even rough it a bit and use a hot glue gun. If it's already bad it doesn't hurt to try a repair. Wash it good first.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Ryan_1
Petty Officer

Post by Ryan_1 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:23 pm

I tried the mercury parts website and they have the part on their website but they are out of stock. Also the whole is too big to fix and ebay has none of them for sale.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:02 pm

I don't know if you've already tried this or not, but call some local Merc dealers and see if they have the part in stock, if not, ask them to search the dealer's network for a replacement. I'm positive there's one of those tanks sitting on a dealers shelf somewhere and not just one of them either. Outside of that, try Bodo's suggestion for IBoats. Outside of that, I have no clue. I'll call my local dealer Monday and see if they have any in stock or know where one might be found. :bball:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount