Bass boat recommendations

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
tmusky1
Lieutenant

RE:Bass boat recommendations

Post by tmusky1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:13 pm

I don't know- I gotta pretty good wife! 8-[

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:50 pm

Touché TM…I have a very supporting wife as well. During your research, you may want to give Dan Allen (owner) a call over in Yak. He will give you some very sound advice as to the different platforms out there…as well as the pros and cons of each…and which ones that may suite your needs. He’s a wealth of information. That’s my 2 cents. Good luck and have fun!
http://www.yvmarine.com/default.asp

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 am

I'll admit, this thread is not going quite the way I expected. Perhaps it is me that does not understand? Oh well.

OK, the reason I mentioned Ranger in my post is because they have a great hull. Cost, dressing, re-sale, all good reasons, but the fact is I know that I can get any Ranger and it will ride well. Still, any low free board boat can nose spear big waves in bad weather (you drive the nose directly through the wave filling the boat, and crushing the console and driving gear and people off the boat into the water, usually dangerously), so if your are not Captain Smart, then this is a possible concern. Still, most of us don't get caught in 5 or 6 foot waves, or we at least slow down, and this happens only very rarely.

I know that the modified Deep V like the Lund's are not famous Bass boats, but they do make great fishing platforms if they have the usual bass amenities like the raised casting decks, live wells, etc. All Linder use to like to enter the Bass Tournaments in his Lund, just to watch the others frown down upon him. Still, except for not being able to easily lip a fish from the bow, they handle waves much better.

I have owned both, and while my Ranger was an early 80's model, I found the Lund to be more to my style. I did like the fact my Ranger would do 70 MPH on a flat lake, unlike my 40 MPH on my Lund Style.

Single console verses dual console? I go dual or wrap around simply because my partner does not like getting wet anymore then I do, and he/she does not like getting bugs in the face either. So, dual or wrap around for me. Still, if you fish alone, then the single gives you more room. I don't really consider the weight a big issue in this case. Think about the console issue this way - how hard does a rain drop or a bug hit when you are flying down the lake at 40 to 70 MPH?

Live wells? Any modern bass boat will have good live wells, but consider that a large divided center or front live well may be more useful then a large front live well and a bait well in the back. This last condition is one that I regret on my boat.

Hull design? Like I said, Ranger is sweat, but other companies have good and bad designs. Do you know what chine walking or porpoising is? My Lund style can eliminate the porpoising if I tilt the motor correctly, but I get better speed, better fuel efficiency, and greater range of motor tilt, if I use a hydro stabilizer on the motor. I never needed that on my Ranger, but it is very useful on my Lund Style. Still, I have noticed that light boats have this issue more then heavy boats, and older designs have this issue more then current styles. I have never seen chine walking in a Lund style.

Now, about boats other then Range and Lund. I have been in the Triton's, and Skeeter's, and a few others I don't remember the names of. This is why I suggest that riding in a friends boat is good, but testing a used boat is better before you buy. First of all, don't just ride in it, drive it. Does the boat jump out of the hole good? Does it chine walk at speed? Does it take a lot of tilt/trim to control porpoising? Just because it is not a Lund or Ranger does not make it a bad design, but YOU will need to determine if that hull suits you.

Other features, I prefer the largest front and rear raised deck I can get. I want as much below deck storage as I can get. I want a large live well, big enough to divide if I want to fish a tournament (have not in may years, but you never know for sure if YOU might get the bug). And I want all of this in a light boat...............

OK, now comes the issue that kind of divides us. Gisteppo correctly mentions that a heavy boat, with a big engine, consumes a lot of fuel. I can fish all day on 10 gallons of fuel, and that is with a fair amount of run time and distance. If I consumed 50 gallons of fuel, at $3.00 a gallon, I could not fish every Saturday. Rangers and most of the Fiberglass boats handle so much better then the lighter aluminum hulls, like mine, in wind, current, and with fishermen moving, but at a cost, in this case, $120/weekend.

So, back to the original issue, you kind of know what I like, so feel free to ask specific questions. Hopefully I am understanding the intent of this thread and getting your questions answered.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 am

Having recently sold a bass boat for a family friend I found that Triton bass boats are well made, hold their value and ride quite nice. The hull is all fiberglass, no wood at all and comes with a lifetime warranty. I was able to sell their boat for nearly what they paid for it 4 years ago! Putting it through it's paces on Lake Washington in early March the boat handled the rough water well and provided a dry ride. Once cleaned up and out on the lake it really sold itself in the way it operated and rode on plane. I also agree on getting a dual console, running around at 60+mph in 40 degree weather can't be much fun for those that are not behind some sort of windscreen, even with the dual console it was unbelievably cold around top end speed. I'll also add that the trim/extras on a boat can really bump the price. However a cheap charging system, depth sounder, trolling motor, etc. is not the way to go, if you buy used pay attention to the quality of the trim and accessories.

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:41 pm

These are exactly the kind of responses I was looking for! :cheers: Thank you and sorry for the confusion.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 am

Ask Flipper:-$ not PC blabber he has and sports one of the nicer Bass tubs on here:-$ :cheers: and he takes great pride in her in fact were customizing her as we Speak](*,) :viking: and its a Skeeter and sweet and his next tub ask him from doing the Brand starts and ends with a R:thumright :sunny:

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:13 am

I have spent a fair amount of time in several different brands of boats and I currently own a Ranger 210 Reatta.

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND NOT FACT!

There is no boat that rides like a Ranger. They are slow. They are expensive to buy cheaper to owne. They suck no more or no less feul than any other bass boat. You don't buy a bass boat to stay out of the throttle. They are built to go fast. Feul economy has no part in a discussion involving bass boats. That being said I feel like I get reasonable milage out of my Yamaha VMAX 225 and I never stay off the throttle. Those big 2 stroke motors are kind of like snowmobiles. Full throttle full time. I have ridden as a passenger and driver in 3 different Rangers on the Columbia between the Snake and the Gorge above Mcnary in 4-6 footers and never felt scared and only go wet once because the guy didn't know how to drive his boat. I also had the ride of my life on that same stretch on a calm day in a Bullet. 84 mph GPS and there was throttle left over. I hope to not have that experience again. There is no better lake or river fishing platform than a bass boat.

There is a reason why there are so many older used Rangers for sale. They still run and float! The fastest boat on the market right now of the major brands ( outside of the bullet) are Skeeter and Triton. I fish the NW Bass curcuit which is sponsored by Nixons Marine. Over 80% of those 100+ boat fileds are Trition and the rest are Skeeter. I am running one of maybe 8 or 9 Rangers on the curcuit but it is A Tritin sponsored curcuit and there is a ton of incentive money for fishing from a Triton. I would buy any of the newer boats in almost any manufacturer becuase I think the rest of the guys have caught up to Ranger but you are looking at an older boat and with that in mind I would only consider Ranger. Assuming you are dead set on a bass boat. I would also consider looking at Rangers Reatta series. It is a multi use boat but has many bass boat features. Top end on my boat by GPS is 62 w/ 225 hp motor. My kids live in my boat. It seats 5 adults comfortably but with that added seating you give up some fishing platform and storage. My boat will be for sale at the end of this season because it doesn't fit my needs but I had no idea I was going to loose my mind when I bought it. I thought I would spend most days fun fishing with my family and fish the occasional tournament. As it tuned out I fish 8-10 tournaments a summer and wouldn't have had to give up my family fishing time by purchasing a real bass boat. I know there are a handful of guys experimenting with 4 strokes but I have yet to see one a boat at a major tournament curcuit. Don't outhink yourself. There is a reason bass boats run 2-strokes for now.

I didn't buy my boat from Nixon's but Jeff Preister is one of the most helpful and honest guys you will ever meet in the boating world. I would call him and ask him about his used boats. I would be VERY leary of buying a boat from a professional. They don't all abuse there boats but more do than don't. They get them at a discount and rarely keep them for more than a season. They can easily put 20+ hours on a motor. I have been suckered by driving to look at a couple due to the price and been blown away when I see them in person. BARELY floatable.

A good dealer WILL let you fish out of the boat before buying it. I fished out of mine before purchasing. Tons of other things to consider but mostly take opinions from owners of these products and if you can try to find an owner who isn't married to the brand. My next boat may very well be a Skeeter or Triton but I love my Ranger.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:21 am

(( Fuel)))#-o The rest:-$ :cheers:

I belive I covered Jeff Prestor and Nixions Performance Marine= Walla Walla#Wa madman:bounce: :compress: -o as well:cheers:

FISH ON!!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 pm

I don't want to get too much into which boat is better etc.,. I've had two 21 foot Tritons and an 18' Astro fish and ski, not an apples to apples comparison. My Triton X is leaps and bounds ahead of my original Triton TR 21, and I have no doubt that the X2 and now the X3 are leaps and bounds ahead of my X series. Same can be said for the Skeeter I Class and the Ranger Commanche, they all three continue to innovate and they are all awesome bass boats! Whether you go Ranger, Triton or Skeeter, you are paying some big bucks, but in exchange as others have pointed out you get a great resale value as well. I deal exclusively with Nixons marine and it's not because of convenience of location. (walla walla)...it's because of Jeff Preister, the President of Nixons Marine. He's gone above and beyond for me on several occasions, including making two personal house call visits to help me diagnose an issue i was having. This guy has forgotten more about bass boats than most will ever know in the first place. If you decide to go that route, or just want to talk to him, let me know via PM and I'd be happy to make a formal introduction for you. Picking a bass boat is a tough decision, and as others have said, there is simply no substitute for getting behind the wheel of a boat capable of doing 70+ MPH to understand what suits you best, they all have unique characteristics, but all high performance bass boats, take time behind the wheel before you can run them confidently at that speed, especially if you are driving through chine walking at that speed! Best of luck to you, and feel free to PM me with any specific questions about my Triton, if you are in the area, i'd be happy to try to coordinate a time with you where you can check mine out up close and get behind the wheel to see for yourself. I know there is a Ranger rep on the site as well, and I am sure he would do the same for you.

Best,
Dave
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Dave,

Jeff has helped me as much as my local Ranger dealer.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:42 pm

I bought a tub from Prestor as well:-$ :cheers:

Also busted some China Cock birds :chef: Close to many of my old room mates:-$ lol lmao!

cory_fish10
Angler

Post by cory_fish10 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 am

Stratus boats are a heavy boat the early 90's models have Kevlar in the hulls (the stuff bullet proof vest are made of). My grandfather owns one back home and we were almost ran over by a hydro-sport and we only had a small scuff in the gel coat while the hydro-sport busted there transom when the deflected off the boat. Champion and Chargers are also a good boat. As far as dual verse single consoled boats single console with get your passengers wetter in rougher waters.

Skeeterpilot
Petty Officer

Post by Skeeterpilot » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:27 pm

tmusky 1,

Although I don't have a lot of experience with bass boats we did just pick up a sweet deal on a '98 Skeeter ZX202 which looks nearly new and has been meticulously kept. I have been out in our friends '96 Ranger on Long lake (spokane river) with light to moderate chop and I noticed the boat was a bit rough although not a terrible ride. On the smooth water it was a dream. Our Skeeter feels a bit better to me on the rough water as we returned to the launch on Lake Tapps after the jet skis, wake board boats, etc had messed up the lake. Found that getting it up to around 55-60mph (on the gps) it handled really well on the choppy water. I have to agree with others that the Ranger and Skeeter are good boats, don't know about the others. I love all the features of the Skeeter ZX though. For what you want to spend I think you are looking at mid 90's era boats (either Ranger or Skeeter).

Hardest part is finding them up here in western WA. I had to go to Couer D'Alene to get mine from a private seller. Good luck on your search. Check out Nixon's Marine online they had several Skeeters and a '98 Ranger that they wanted around $13,500 ealier in the month....