Good Boat? Good Price? Where To Store?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
FishingFool
Captain

RE:Good Boat? Good Price? Where To Store?

Post by FishingFool » Sat May 30, 2009 8:52 pm

clarkbre wrote:Congrats on the boat purchase. You will absolutely love the Lund and the engine you got will push if very nicely. I was going to ask, what's below the front deck in that first pic? I built storage compartment/deck in my Lund WC and it was the best mod I did. PM and I'll send you some pics. Good luck with the boat and hope to see you out on the water.
Actually, the entire front area in front of that seat has boards on it, to make it a platform. Life-jackets, anchor and more area for storing crap.

Camping at Banks this Tues. Taking it with us..... Should be an interesting ride.

Do have some questions I hope some of you can answer.

1) At Banks, we reserved a campsite a couple of months ago. Didnt have any intentions except for our vehicle. Now if I'm taking a boat, where are you suppose to put the boat?

2) How do you secure a trailer so someone cant just pull up and take off with it?

3) Is there a way to "lock" up the motor to the boat?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 30, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat May 30, 2009 9:06 pm

FishingFool wrote: 2) How do you secure a trailer so someone cant just pull up and take off with it?
As big of a chain as you can get through the rims with a healthy pad lock...
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sat May 30, 2009 9:18 pm

[quote="FishingFool

[/quote"]

You can buy one of a varity of locking systems for your outboard at any marine supply house. Beware, none of them can protect you from a cordless sawsal! Lock it up the best you can and call it good.

Big D

Post by Big D » Sat May 30, 2009 9:37 pm

FishingFool wrote:2) How do you secure a trailer so someone cant just pull up and take off with it?
Be aware that small outboards are prime targets for any meth head or thief out there. They are easy to remove and carry and even easier to sell no questions asked. Remember locks only keep honest people honest and no amount of locking hardware will keep a determined thief from taking your stuff. (See Insurance comment below)

A simple master lock in the hitch where the hitch pin goes while in the locked position will be enough to prevent the trailer from being driven off or you could purchase a hitch lock like the one pictured below. They can be purchase at almost any place that sells trailers IE: U-haul or at this site:http://www.etrailer.com/pc-CL~UTL100KA.htm

Motor to boat locking is easy: Just place a master lock through the ends of the bolts that hold your motor to your boat.
See photo below.

The most important thing I would recommend to you if you are worried about theft is

**Make Sure You Have Full Coverage Insurance on Your Boat**

with full replacement coverage. You should also purchase coverage that covers contents such as tackle, rods, reels, trolling motors, downriggers, fish finders, PFD's digital cameras & any thing else you might haul around in your boat because we all know how expensive that stuff is.
For your boat it shouldn't cost much more than $50.00 per year.
Attachments
Motor%20lock%20002.jpg
Motor%20lock%20002.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
utl100_2_150.jpg
utl100_2_150.jpg (5.42 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
UTL100KA.jpg
UTL100KA.jpg (14.6 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 31, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Sat May 30, 2009 9:58 pm

Just about any marine shop or sporting goods store will have a myriad of locks for both your hitch and your outboard.

I'd shy away from cable locks for the outboard--too easily cut.
A decent one can be made from some C-channel or square tubing and a good padlock--or something similar can be purchased relatively cheaply.

As for the trailer--I'd also recommend a chain through at least one wheel and wrapped around the spring and trailer frame.
Just throwing a padlock on the hitch is only a deterrent to the *mostly* honest....a theif can still tow it a short distance with just safety chains or simply unbolt the entire hitch assembly and put on a new one (probably two bolts on your new trailer). These types of trailers are EASY to steal...but dragging a chain and a locked up wheel or two will make it difficult, and obvious...just don't forget to remove it before you leave!

It's a good idea to get a locking hitch-pin for your tow package, too.
I take the extra effort and put a quick tack-weld on the threads of the hitch ball below the nut as well...some crafty folks will jcan take the entire ball off your hitch and switch it to their rig and drive away--a quick tack will keep the nut from coming off all the way...and a file in the glovebox is insurance for yourself, just in case.

One last thing to consider--aluinum boats like this are fairly light and a couple guys could transfer it to a different trailer in only a few moments...so if you are leaving it someplace questionable, or long term, you might consider that as well. :-$

Hope I didn't make ya nervous!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 30, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sat May 30, 2009 11:22 pm

thanks for those security tips guys, but I just read something.

WTF is this new requirement for a boating course or something?

•January 1, 2008 – All boat operators twenty years old and younger;
•January 1, 2009 – All boat operators twenty-five years old and younger;
•January 1, 2010 – All boat operators thirty years old and younger;
•January 1, 2011 – All boat operators thirty-five years old and younger;
•January 1, 2012 – All boat operators forty years old and younger;
•January 1, 2013 – All boat operators fifty years old and younger;
•January 1, 2014 – All boat operators sixty years old and younger;
•January 1, 2015 – All boat operators who are required to have a card will be phased in.
•All boat operators born before 1/1/1955 will not be required to have a boat operator education card.

Or am I just reading some bs from the internet to scam money? Cant seem to find any info on WA's gov or parks website.

NM, found the info on wa's gov site. #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 30, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun May 31, 2009 12:36 am

Like I said earlier in this thread...Definition of the word BOAT... It's a big hole in the water that you throw money into.

It's True, here's the info & web site:

Boater Safety Education Bill
Washington has passed legislation that will require boat operators to take a boater safety education course in order to operate a boat in Washington State. Details about the process as well as applications for cards will be finalized later in 2006 by the Washington State Parks & Recreation Commission's Boating Safety Program.
The law will require completion of a basic boating class, or passage of an equivalency exam, to obtain a Boater Education Card. The Boater Education Card is not like a driver's license. It is obtained once and is good for life. The Card indicates that the boat operator has a basic level of boating safety knowledge, like a diploma.The Washington law will have a phased-in period for compliance. By January 1, 2008, boaters 20 years of age and younger will be required to obtain their Boater Education Card. Then by January 1, 2009, it will be boaters 25 years of age or younger will be required to obtain their Boater Education Card. The phased-in period for compliance will continue until 2016 for various age groups. Boaters born before January 1, 1955 will be exempt from having to obtain a Boater Education Card. For the many thousands of Washington boaters who have already received a certificate of completion from an approved boating safety course, they will only need to complete a simple one-page application and supply a copy of their certificate of completion along with a $10 administrative fee to receive their lifetime Boater Education Card. (Source: Washington State Parks)

http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/index.htm
FishingFool on a different thread wrote: How Powerful Of A Motor Do You Need To Fish Big Lakes such as Rufus, Banks, and Washington?
Will a small 12-14' with a ~15-20HP motor be a little dangerous?

If you are going to be boating/fishing on the big water I would recommend that you take the course and get your card.
It will soon be a requirement for you anyway. The life you save may be your own.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 31, 2009 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:18 am

I give entry level to advanced water safety classes/programs rivers, drift boats, Marine, Puget-Sound, open Oceans , lakes and more and go over every process for boat inspection and safety for any coast gaurd inspection, game department and more.:-$ :cheers:

Providing real water education in all weathers, natural elements, storms, river flows and what happens when you overload any tub then add mother natures events can cost the best there life.:-$

Giving a Lifeline to make every trip a gift and return and teaching the boaters the tools to when to say no will do this another day.

Any boater should do all they can do as far as study and education,research , gear /coast gaurd certified and more then ocean and rivers never forgive a mistake just (luck):-$ does and like fishing I base nothing on (luck)[-( I like getting it done better:viking:

From Mid June on the north passage and a boat designed with enough to press these waters is heaven on earth fishing, wildlife viewing and more .

If your ability matches your boat press it.:thumleft: :thumright

A real gift from doing8-[ ](*,)

San Jauns also a great summer gift:thumleft: open them some years and seasons never open or come[-x
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 31, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:39 am

FF...Some great questions and excellent answers from our 'staff'...That's what I love about our site. As far as Steamboat goes...you are allowed to back your trailers onto the grass area, so long as the tow vehicle (car/truck) remains on the paved area(s). I was there 2 weeks ago and saw several rigs taking advantage of this...works out great. Have fun and Good luck!

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sun May 31, 2009 10:26 am

mav186 wrote:FF...Some great questions and excellent answers from our 'staff'...That's what I love about our site. As far as Steamboat goes...you are allowed to back your trailers onto the grass area, so long as the tow vehicle (car/truck) remains on the paved area(s). I was there 2 weeks ago and saw several rigs taking advantage of this...works out great. Have fun and Good luck!
Is there a boat launch fee?

What's the usual launch fee amount? ~$10?

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Sun May 31, 2009 4:05 pm

The launch fee is included in your camping fee, otherwise the fee is $5 to launch. Of course it would not hurt to double check upon arrival. Here's the link buddy... http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selected ... ubject=all
Have a blast!
Mav

Primevci
Petty Officer

Post by Primevci » Sun May 31, 2009 9:47 pm

man i woulda saved 1k more for that other boat posted... eshhh buy a lunf is a nice boat better than what i got :)

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun May 31, 2009 10:04 pm

Bscman wrote:Just about any marine shop or sporting goods store will have a myriad of locks for both your hitch and your outboard.

I'd shy away from cable locks for the outboard--too easily cut.
A decent one can be made from some C-channel or square tubing and a good padlock--or something similar can be purchased relatively cheaply.

As for the trailer--I'd also recommend a chain through at least one wheel and wrapped around the spring and trailer frame.
Just throwing a padlock on the hitch is only a deterrent to the *mostly* honest....a theif can still tow it a short distance with just safety chains or simply unbolt the entire hitch assembly and put on a new one (probably two bolts on your new trailer). These types of trailers are EASY to steal...but dragging a chain and a locked up wheel or two will make it difficult, and obvious...just don't forget to remove it before you leave!

It's a good idea to get a locking hitch-pin for your tow package, too.
I take the extra effort and put a quick tack-weld on the threads of the hitch ball below the nut as well...some crafty folks will jcan take the entire ball off your hitch and switch it to their rig and drive away--a quick tack will keep the nut from coming off all the way...and a file in the glovebox is insurance for yourself, just in case.

One last thing to consider--aluinum boats like this are fairly light and a couple guys could transfer it to a different trailer in only a few moments...so if you are leaving it someplace questionable, or long term, you might consider that as well. :-$

Hope I didn't make ya nervous!
The only warning I'd give about this type of locking system is if you leave it on all the time it will cut into the threads on the motor and eventually ruin them (speaking from painful experience) so be sure to take them off when not needed.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm

LOL our first outing on the boat today at Lake Meridian. We went during the late afternoon, so wasnt the best time to go fishing.

Had a hell of a time trying to line up on the boat ramp going backwards. Took me about 10 mins before it was good enough.... lol #-o :batman: :-" .
Need a lot more practice there. Towing it around is a breeze.

Now when we got the boat in the water, we couldnt start the engine..... #-o :-" . But since we were already in the water, we started rowing it towards the middle of the lake so we could drift around and hopefully get the motor started. Found out we're not very good at rowing...:-({|=

Looked through the manual and we assumed we flooded the engine. I know the engine is good, because I witness the original owners do a quick start with 2 pulls. So we did the flooded engine procedures and BAM! Engine is a go. Did a quick run around. I then here a beeping noise coming from the motor. I hope it is the "warmed up" warning. Only happened once after about 10 mins of running around..... :-k

Anyways, whoa those powerboats were hauling some ass. Big wakes that made things a little interesting on our boat...:shaking:

Threw some kastmasters and spinner lures for a while randomly. No fish, but good practice.

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Glad you got it on the water and taken out for a shake down cruise. Keep practicing with the trailer backing. Chances are good you'll spend the next year or two figuring out how to set it up for fishing. Tight lines!

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:45 pm

FishingFool wrote:

Had a hell of a time trying to line up on the boat ramp going backwards. Took me about 10 mins before it was good enough.... lol
Late some evening take your boat and trailer to a large store parking lot with few cars in it. Spend time backing your trailer to the left and right while watching your mirrors only. Learn the "jack point" of your trailer. That is when the trailer has jacked to the point that you cannot recover buy turning your vehicle in the same direction as the travel of the trailer. Spending this valuable time in a parking lot will pay off in big dividends the next time you try and back your boat down a narrow launch lane.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:22 pm

Fisingfool, You are going to have soooo much fun. I have the same boat, but the 2007. slightly different seating configuration. One thing I can tell you is to get yourself a couple of extra drain plugs. There about 4 bucks at Walmart.
I assume that you have a drain at the Stern of the boat. Carefull with those plugs,, if you twist it in too far... snap! It breaks. That's why I carry a couple extras. Another easy mod. to do, is go get a couple of swivel chairs from a Sportsman's Warehouse or any outdoor store. You will be much more comfortable. If you add these,, make sure to off set their placement of the boat, so that your weight is distributed evenly.
Also, get a bow light. Don't screw with a batter clamp on light. You will leave it on, and be out of batteries. All you got to do is drill two small holes in the end cap of the bow, bolt it on. You should have wiring up in the very end of the bow end cap already. Also a Stern pole light. Without these you are illegal after sunset. You will find yourself out there fishing having a great evening bite.... and not want to come back in. Suddenly your unsafe and can't be seen by others.

Now you gotta get into electronics shopping.... :-" fishfinders, gps, It's all downhill.........:cheers:
Attachments
Stern_light_pole.jpg
Stern_light_pole.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
Simple_bow_light.jpg
Simple_bow_light.jpg (9.68 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:42 am

My boat launching is always slow.I dont rush it.My boat was expensive and I dont like banging it up while some idiot is rushing me to launch.I launch at the pace I decide.I dont lolly-gag but I dont rush for anyone.I take my time and do it right. Good luck with your new boat.Treat it well and you'll have great fun from using it.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:05 am

](*,) Have that Custom Mutten chops:bounce: on board you will have zero problems with launching or pressure #-o :-" from doing such.
Just a smell of the Mutten chops[-( will have them running for shade not launches!:thumleft: :thumright

Love ya big dog Woof Woof!:viking:

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:58 am

FF, the main tips I can give you on backing up a trailer of any type is go slow and always keep an eye on the trailer. This way when you head off course it will only take a minor adjustment to put you back on track. If you go slow enough even a novice can back a trailer around a corner and into a tight space. If you find yourself needing to make large adjustments, you are waiting too long to correct your course. Also, when you start the learning process stick to one method, side mirrors or looking back through the rear window. If you try a combination of the two at this point it may short circuit the brain!