Is this boat worth it?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Bscman
Warrant Officer

Is this boat worth it?

Post by Bscman » Sat May 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Let me start by saying I accidently broke my SD card, so I don't have any pictures!

The boat in question:

1992 HarborCraft 12ft aluminum V-hull.
4 person/700lb capacity. Three row bench seats.
Red painted upper, polished silver below waterline...gray painted interior.
Doesn't seep/leak (supposedly).

Absolutely zero visible damage, anywhere.
Gray "speckled" interior paint shows slight wear floor, otherwise looks new.
Stored inside most of it's life--you'd never know its 17yrs old based on first impressions.

The motor in question:
1993 Evinrude 6hp

Visually clean, started first pull, idled and seemed to run geart forward/reverse (in a 55gal drum).
Regular maintenance (supposedly) New pull starter mechanism...
Again, looks great for it's age...

The Trailer:
A no-name "built-from-a-box" mail-order chinese made trailer.
White, painted, new tail-lights and hand winch. Small tires/wheels...8"or 9" diameter wheels...no spare.
Some rust around the edges, but overall pretty clean.

ALSO:
Comes with small gas tank, two newer wood oars, and a couple old crab pots.

He seems pretty firm on $1,500...
He's a co-worker, and keeps telling my he could put it out on the side of the HWY and sell it for $1,600-1,800 easy.
Boats are a hard thing for me to value...so I figured I'd ask here.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 02, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:Is this boat worth it?

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat May 02, 2009 6:22 pm

How much $$$:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sat May 02, 2009 6:27 pm

My thoughts exactly.. can't really say much about it without knowing the price. $70? Sign the papers immediately. $7000? Move on.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Sat May 02, 2009 9:40 pm

dangit!
I did this on another forum today trying to sell a locking differential!

He's firm on $1,500.

Thanks for not flogging me too hard...!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun May 03, 2009 5:27 am

If the motor is that well kept up then the deal isn't too bad but I think you could find a better deal for $1500:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun May 03, 2009 5:38 am

seems a tad expensive. I would price out the motor and get a sense what that's worth. (gonna guess $6-700) which leaves your boat/trailer cost. The best advice I can give is keep looking around and see what 1500 can get you. If I was that guy, the last thing I would want to do is stick my boat out by the side of the road to sell it.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:19 am

Bscman its the consumers market period most tubs in the next year and more Planter boxes soon:-$ #-o

After a leak down test and compression test on the motor:cheers: and hull inspection

offer him $850 cash money$$$

He can ask whatever he wants his offers will be another thing and make sure the lower unit is straight up, fluids clean, plugs clean and more or your new guy Tech working on this project will be buffering $800 bucks in labor and parts fast that part of the Industry has changed little:batman: and in most cases the labor rates have soared!:-#

Also so do :cyclopsan a Prop inspection

To keep it simple take a garden hose with the plug in the tub fill his tub and transom 1 or 2 inches of water let set 5 minutes and inspect for cracks or leaks the common eye misses most!!!:cyclopsan :clown:

Fish on!!!!:cheers:

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sun May 03, 2009 8:02 am

Yes,..$1500.00 seems way 2 high,..if it is what you say it is then maybe $850-$1000 max! Listen 2 Big Swede and do a compression test and a leak test!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 03, 2009 1:08 pm

Bscman wrote:dangit!
I did this on another forum today trying to sell a locking differential!

He's firm on $1,500.

Thanks for not flogging me too hard...!

Unless you went back and edited your first post, looks like you said $1500........
i haven't priced a 12 footer in a while so I'd have to say what's a new one worth? a new 4s 6 horse is worth about 1200 sooooooo. $600 for the boat and $600 for the Oar is about $1200
Tell him for $1500 he can have fun on the side of the highway or take the (insert offer here) you have in your hand.
The motor is a two stroke and not an enviro star or what ever they call it. It'll probably run forever but....... If it was a 9.9 I'd be all over it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 03, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Sun May 03, 2009 6:14 pm

no.

unless it is PERFECT I wouldn't consider that. Go on craigslist and look around, you will find something nice. Like everyone said, the value is in the motor....and 1500 is too much. If he can get "1800 plus" on the side of the road, good on him, and bad on the person who spends that for a used 12 foot boat.

Plenty of boats out there in that size range....keep looking. And on a side note, I would never enter into a contract I wasn't sure about with a co-worker. could make some bad feelings.

I sold a boat to one of my co-workers and dropped the price $500 dollars, because our friendship was worth more than some cash.
Clam Man

"____________"

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sun May 03, 2009 6:16 pm

I just sold a 14' Livingston with a 25hp Merc, 2 scotty downriggers, 34lb Minnkota electric motor, and fishfinder for $1900....
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun May 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Bscman wrote:
Let me start by saying I accidently broke my SD card, so I don't have any pictures!
I just happen to own a Canadian made Harbercraft that I think is identical to the one you are looking at. I have an 8 hp Yamaha that will push two of us along at about 18 mph. The boat is great for its size and will serve you well.

Considering the size of the outboard and the trailer being somewhat homemade I believe the asking price is too much. I would offer $1250. tops
Attachments
car_topper.JPG
car_topper.JPG (34.18 KiB) Viewed 2463 times

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun May 03, 2009 6:56 pm

same what stampie said 1200 to 1300 max
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Sun May 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks for the honest input, fellas.

And yes, Stampie, that looks like the same model I'm looking at...just a few more scuffs!

I've been watching classifieds and craigslist for several months looking for a NICE used boat...
I've been seeing a lot of 12 footers in the 1,200-1,800 range and this one is one of the cleanest I've come across.
The majority of the boats I've looked at in this price range have been glammed up junk...patches, rotten transoms, repaints with runs and sags, layers of silicone, or old/tired/leaking outboards...

I had a feeling the price was a little high, mainly due to the lack of quality in the trailer...but needed the confimation.
I'll try and "politely" make an offer based on your suggestions and leave it at that.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 03, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sun May 03, 2009 8:55 pm

what is you max price smokercraft alskans are high sided and are smooth riding
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Mon May 04, 2009 6:43 pm

curado wrote:what is you max price smokercraft alskans are high sided and are smooth riding
I'm looking to keep it under $1,600 as a package.
I could go higher for the *right* deal, but I haven't been lucky enough to find that just yet.

Absolute max is probably ~$2,500ish.
I doubt I'll use it enough to justify spending more than that. I'm not looking to get out in the salt, and I spend much of my summer and early fall fishing alpine lakes (i.e. no boat!).

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue May 05, 2009 3:14 pm

try boat trader and keep looking

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

rodrob43
Petty Officer

Post by rodrob43 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:45 pm

The $1500 mark seems real high, $1250 is better, but that has to be like new condition.
I bought a 15' Starcraft with walk through windshield, 28 hp Evinrude for $2500 last fall. I thought that was too much, but I hadn't seen another like it. Put a lot of work and about another $300 in it and it's great now. You got to go with the way you feel. If you feel this deal is the right one for you, do it.
:compress:
Here's to cool, clear water with big fish!

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sun May 10, 2009 8:27 am

stampie wrote:
Bscman wrote:
I just happen to own a Canadian made Harbercraft that I think is identical to the one you are looking at. I have an 8 hp Yamaha that will push two of us along at about 18 mph. The boat is great for its size and will serve you well.

Considering the size of the outboard and the trailer being somewhat homemade I believe the asking price is too much. I would offer $1250. tops
I got the same boat
fish on!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun May 10, 2009 9:00 am

I agree with what the Swede has to say. These older motors aren't "turn key" motors no matter how much the seller wants to believe it. The lower unit need to be gone thru, impeller changed and everything re-lubed. Either service it before taking it out....or get stranded somewhere and freeze the head because the impeller stopped working.

Bill

swedefish4life1 wrote:Bscman its the consumers market period most tubs in the next year and more Planter boxes soon:-$ #-o

After a leak down test and compression test on the motor:cheers: and hull inspection

offer him $850 cash money$$$

He can ask whatever he wants his offers will be another thing and make sure the lower unit is straight up, fluids clean, plugs clean and more or your new guy Tech working on this project will be buffering $800 bucks in labor and parts fast that part of the Industry has changed little:batman: and in most cases the labor rates have soared!:-#

Also so do :cyclopsan a Prop inspection

To keep it simple take a garden hose with the plug in the tub fill his tub and transom 1 or 2 inches of water let set 5 minutes and inspect for cracks or leaks the common eye misses most!!!:cyclopsan :clown:

Fish on!!!!:cheers: