Who is running an Optimax? I'd like some "real world" input...

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
hewesfisher
Admiral

Who is running an Optimax? I'd like some "real world" input...

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:42 pm

Ok, so we looked at a new boat today, a 2009 20' Hewescraft Pro V. It has most the same options our '06 Sportsman does, plus a few more. It is pre-rigged with a 150 Merc Optimax, and I would like to hear from those of you who own, or have owned, the same kind of motor. I have no problem with a 2-stroke, and I even like the carbed 90 Merc on our Sportsman. I know fuel economy of the new DFI 2-strokes is on par with 4-strokes and there's still a siginificant weight savings.

I'm contemplating the possibility of upgrading, but I would like some real world feedback from other Optimax owners before going any further, well, that and deciding on how much I would ask for our well equipped, low hour Sportsman. :bball:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Gisteppo
Commodore

RE:Who is running an Optimax? I'd like some "real world" input...

Post by Gisteppo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Okay, I know you are looking for owners, but this is just a little tidbit.

The Optimax tech isn't as fuel efficient as a 4 stroke. The only company that has really put down truly equal numbers is E-rude with the DFI Etec motors.

E

BassCaster
Petty Officer

Post by BassCaster » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:11 pm

i do have a 115 optimax and i love it. i have never had a four stroke so i can't compare. the opti 115 just sips the gas and is quiet compared to a two stroke but not as quiet as a four stroke, a better hole shot with the opti at least thats what i hear. check out this thread it may help you out. http://www.lake-link.com/boards/forums/ ... d_ID=41693 my favorite thing about the opti is it will fire up in freezing temps with no problem, very little smoke, if any, and is as saltwater friendly as they come. i received 2 additional years on the warranty, for free, for a total of five, not bad.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:31 am

As to the E-Tec, Merc claims the 150 Opti has the edge on the E-Tec in all measured performance areas except top peed which was identical to the Opti. Mercury's test results show the Opti with a pretty fair margin in all fuel economy measurements, low rpm, mid-range cruise, and WOT. Granted, that's Merc's sales literature, but I seem to see the same from folks in the various postings I've read while researching on the 'net. The Opti may not be as fuel efficient as a 4-stroke, but the efficiency difference is practially nil today.

Glad to hear you really like your Opti, BC, the only item I saw repeatedly while doing my research was the noise level, yet you say yours is quiet. Comments I read were from the early Opti's, '00 & '01, none of any significance in the last couple years. I'm sure the Opti is quieter than my '05 Classic 90! :cheers:

Side note for E: I got laid off Friday, so I have time to do some fishing now. Maybe we could get together for a Rock Lake trip? :cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:59 am

Sorry to hear you got laid off man, thats horrible. I hear most tradesman are having to work in other cities to keep employed right now as well, its not good.

Otherwise, I just got back so lets go do some trout fishing! Im off tue-wed this week, free next monday and sometime during the middle of next week as well.

E

Nick_Barr
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Nick_Barr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 pm

I have a 150 Opti, my next boat will have an E-TEC. I like the Optimax, but I think the quality control is lower on a Optimax.
Nick Barr's Bass Fishing Guide Service
www.NickBarrFishing.com
Silver Lake, Riffe Lake, American Lake, Lake Stielacoom, South Sound Lakes (Long, Hicks, Patterson, etc.)
Also available in E. WA: Potholes, Moses, Banks
$50 off American Lake/Lake Stielacoom Bass Trips through May to WALAKES.com Members!
INTERSTATE BATTERIES
Legend Bass Boats
Mercury Marine
Outdoor Emporium

BASSMAN91
Petty Officer

Post by BASSMAN91 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:24 pm

i have a 225 runs great no troubles with it at all
IF FISHING IS A SPORT, IM AN ATHELETE