25hp Mercury - Need Local Shop Suggestions

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

25hp Mercury - Need Local Shop Suggestions

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:16 pm

I've got a 25hp Mercury 2-stroke on my boat that never, ever, runs when I need it to. I'm done trying to work on it myself. I want to take it into a local shop here in the Spokane area but I have no idea where to go. I want to pay a fair price for an overhaul/tune-up and I don't want to get taken. Anyone have a suggestion where I should take it, and why?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

BassCaster
Petty Officer

RE:25hp Mercury - Need Local Shop Suggestions

Post by BassCaster » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 am

Spokane Outboard Repair, 633 N. Helena, 535-3371. This is the best shop around in my opinion. They are not cheap though, i think 85 an hour is there rate.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:32 pm

I've never had my boat worked or motor worked on before. Is that a fair/average shop price for getting a motor tuned up?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Your boat is ultimately at the top of the list when you think of reliability. Getting stranded in your boat can have a lot more catistrophic results than the same in your car. How much would you pay to have your car worked on? It seems to be a little higher than the going rate in the Seattle area but if the guy is good........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

DaKanati
Petty Officer

Post by DaKanati » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Personally 85 an hour seems more than fair. The local shops around the kitsap area are all 100 or more!

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Not sure about where to go in Spokane. As far as pricing..its a $100.00/hour plus parts usually around here. Lake Tapps area. And really would want to make sure the mechanic knows Mercury well..BassCasters' price is cheaper than on this side of the hill..
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:24 pm

Fortunately I have not needed help for my Merc, but................ just for future reference, if you find a good place in Spokane, please send me an e-mail.

Thanks Aaron.

:cheers:
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Spokane Outboard doesn't do work on Mercury Outboards so they suggested I call Lake City Marine. I called them and they put me on the "list". If I felt like taking the motor off the boat they would take it today, but because they only have so much room for boats in their locked yard they had to put me on a list and will call me sometime next week. I'll post an update on the work done and the total price.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

DannyHoey
Angler

Post by DannyHoey » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:21 pm

I know a good guy who has helped me a lot with my boat. He put a starter in my 35 horse merc for me and is currently helping me rebuild my transom on my 14' starcraft. He has worked on two strokes a lot, boats and motorcycles. I am sure he could help ya for a fair price. A lot cheaper than a shop. PM me for his number if you are interested.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:44 pm

Danny,

I've had a rough time with this engine for awhile now. A few guys have tinkered with it over the last few years and I always find myself wishing I had just taken it to a pro. I think this time I'm prepared to pay a god sum of cash to have a place tune it up, and guarantee their work. I want to head to a few lakes that are quite large and I have to be able to rely on it 100%. Rock and Bead are large lakes with only one way out. If you get in trouble at the far end you could be in a life threatening situation. Thanks for the offer though.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:17 am

Aaron, Skipper Bill's is an authorized Merc service center, and I don't think their rate is any more than quoted by the other guys. I would not hesitate to take either of my Mercs there for service, and have. John is the guy that ran me through the pre-delivery checklist on my motors when we bought our boat, and I'd trust him for any work needed. He's an old-time Merc mechanic and will do you right.

If you decide to go there, tell Rick Henderson I referred you. My wife and I are going there today to look at a new Hewescraft, but with my Friday the 13th pink slip, I doubt we'll be upgrading for awhile now. :-({|= I'll tell Rick you might call on them in a few days.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

BassCaster
Petty Officer

Post by BassCaster » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:28 am

skipper bills is also my dealer, i called them for you aaron, 928-1000 they told me their rate is 85 an hour. sorry about spokane marine, i have a 9.9 evinrude kicker that they keep purring like a kitten. any work on my optimax 115 i take to the skipper.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks guys. I called Rick and I'll be taking my boat to him on Monday. He had just got off the phone with Phil when I called. I'll have to call the other place and cancel.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Aaron wrote:Thanks guys. I called Rick and I'll be taking my boat to him on Monday. He had just got off the phone with Phil when I called. I'll have to call the other place and cancel.
When we were there today, Rick told me you called right after I did. You'll be pleased with their service, I always am.

That new 20' Pro V sure is nice, but we'll have to sell our other Hewescraft first. Guess it's time I decided on what I want for it so we can start the process. :cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:32 pm

I took the boat into Skipper Bills today. I feel they're going to treat me fine. Rick was great. That red Hewescraft 18 Sportsman in the showroom, the one with everything... I think I need to own that. I think the only thing I would want changed from that setup is for them to add a TR-1 and upgrade the sonar to something with mapping GPS. Other than that, if the wife is willing, I'm going to own that boat.

180 SPORTSMAN (RED) WITH TOP, SIDE CURTAINS, FISH CURTAIN, BOW RAILS, LIVEWELL, DUAL WINDSHIELD WIPERS, UPGRADED SWIVEL SEATS, SHORT JUMP SEATS, COURTESY LIGHTS, WASH DOWN SYSTEM, REAR SEAT CUSHIONS, SWIM PLATFORM WITH LADDER, 2 EA. TRAXSTECH 36" TRACKS, 2 EA. TRAXSTECH LEXAN ROD HOLDERS, 2 EA. TRAXSTECH 3" SWIVELS, 2 EA. CANNON UNI-TROLL 5 MANUAL DOWNRIGGERS, LOWRANCE LMS-510C COLOR FISH FINDER, 24 GALLON GAS TANK, MERCURY 115 HP. FOUR STROKE WITH 5 YEAR WARRANY, EZ LOADER GALVANIZED TRAILER WITH SWING TONGUE, SLICK BUNKS, SPARE TIRE AND MOUNT, CHINE LOAD GUIDES AND MERCURY 8 HP. FOUR STROKE WITH ELECTRIC START, TIE BAR, FUEL HOOK-UP AND BATTERY
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Soooo... the wife is home, and she's initially OK with the purchase. I do have a few questions about buying a new boat that I think I'll pose in a different post with a better title. New post coming right up.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

BassCaster
Petty Officer

Post by BassCaster » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Aaron ive seen that sweet ride, jump all over it. Horizon credit union is great to work with. I really like the Traxstech system, I picked up a couple cupholders for the trax at the show. Go for the GPS, Lowrance of course, try to have them throw it in...emm good luck with that..... then try, half and half and they install of course. I bought a Starcraft with no where near the options, ive put a couple grand in it since, setting it up just right. That Hews is set up nice the way it is! Good luck!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Aaron wrote: That red Hewescraft 18 Sportsman in the showroom, the one with everything... I think I need to own that.
That white 20' Pro V with the 150 Opti on it, that was sitting out front, well, I think we do own it. :cheers: Rick managed to meet what we wanted for ours on trade-in (nice!!) and someone is going to get one nicel outfitted 16' Sportsman once when we sign the papers.

Our new boat will be outfitted with some additional goodies, 8hp electric start, Trollmaster Pro II, hour meters for both motors, an analog tach (I'm old school for guages) and a few others.

Rick said I would be able to pick it up early next week.:cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Nice boat! I talked to Rick today about the 18' Sportsman. He said he could deck it out with an upgraded sonar unit, TR-1, AND get it for me in white so I can put my logo and website name on it. Decisions, decisions!
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System