Networking, Nema and Ethernet Questions HDS Gen2- 10" and 8"

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
spindog
Commander

Networking, Nema and Ethernet Questions HDS Gen2- 10" and 8"

Post by spindog » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:09 pm

I just picked up an 8" Gen2 to go along with my 10"Gen2. I purchased the Nema 2000 starter kit that ties the 2 units
together, came with 2 T's and 2- 120 ohm EOLR's and is expandable for Nema devices.

What is the difference between Nema 2000 and Ethernet and how it shares information.

Do I still need the separate Ethernet connection between both units besides the Nema 2000 network?

Also, does this Ethernet port take the place of the send and receive wires- included within-and called the power/Data cable? The "Data wires are called Nema 0183 ?

Goal is have Gen2 at console Networked with my Stucture Scan under console and up to my Gen2 on the Bow?

Any input, is better than none at all..

Thanks [confused]
Last edited by spindog on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Networking, Nema and Ethernet Questions HDS Gen2- 10" an

Post by Amx » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:16 pm

I don't know.

Good enough input? [crying]

I haven't even looked into doing that yet. Still need to save a little more to have enough to get unit #2. Should be getting it about mid April or maybe wait until May to be sure I have enough $$$$ with a little left over as needed.
Tom.

Interests: living

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Amx wrote:I don't know.

Good enough input? [crying]

I haven't even looked into doing that yet. Still need to save a little more to have enough to get unit #2. Should be getting it about mid April or maybe wait until May to be sure I have enough $$$$ with a little left over as needed.
After I did a online search, read forums, called Marine West, went to Marine west......I needed a nap!! lol [laugh]
Cast first, worry later.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:43 pm

After someone here on WaLakes posted his procedure, including pictures, on installing his HDS that I'm sure was a Gen 1, I got lost quickly and he was just showing how he made a special bracket for the transducer and such. So when I got my gen 2 I figured I'd have LOTS of problems, but it installed no different than any other depth finder I've done. No problems at all. BUT, soon I'll have to figure out how to tie two of them together, and what cables to get/use.
Tom.

Interests: living

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Amx wrote:After someone here on WaLakes posted his procedure, including pictures, on installing his HDS that I'm sure was a Gen 1, I got lost quickly and he was just showing how he made a special bracket for the transducer and such. So when I got my gen 2 I figured I'd have LOTS of problems, but it installed no different than any other depth finder I've done. No problems at all. BUT, soon I'll have to figure out how to tie two of them together, and what cables to get/use.
I was surprised that I was not able to buy a Ethernet wire today. The simplest form is 2 units, 1 transducer and a
Ethernet connecting them together ..... pure speculation.

The Data wires within the power/Data cable are "older Nema 0183- talk and listen channels"... I think these are not
used because of the Nema 2000 Backbone I purchased...which supports added Nema devices such as GPS,
Motor Sensors and such.

I believe the Ethernet wire "shares picture and depth values and such" ...I think Nema 2000 does not share this information- something about band width.

I know that if I didn't have the structure scan I would need a expansion port to get this all tied together. the Structure scan makes this possible with 3 Ethernet ports.

Did some more reading?

1 Ethernet from unit to Structure Scan
1 Ethernet from other unit to structure scan
Structure scan Transducer to Stucture scan
Constant power to Stucture scan red
Either fuse yellow and switch/ or tie to yellow of console Gen2 for wakeup feature to turn Structure Scan on.
Skimmer Transducer to Unit
My Nema 2000 starter kit ran between both units
On the bow I am only seeing - Ethernet in, Nema 2000 in, Power - and doing mabey a trolling motor transducer.
I bought a piece of starboard for my transducers
I got a lot to do and I'll learn as I go [scared]
Cast first, worry later.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:37 am

NEMA is RS232. Very old Comm Protocol but a lot of devices know the language.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Bodofish wrote:NEMA is RS232. Very old Comm Protocol but a lot of devices know the language.
I recently read that Nema 0183 uses RS422 or RS232 Protocol and that not all devices recognize the language,
or maybe it was some older devices won't recognize the Nema 2000.
The Nema 2000 operates 50 times faster than the older Nema 0183.
Cast first, worry later.