Homemade jon boat

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
trimcat
Angler

Homemade jon boat

Post by trimcat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:46 am

I thought I would post a link to a few pics of my homemade jon boat. Had been fishing out of a pontoon and wanted to have something that I could take my wife in as well as fit in the back of my truck when we go camping. Started working on it last winter in my garage after getting some options on size, shape, fastening techniques, etc. on you tube as well as other boat build/design sites. The project took several months of weekends to complete, I wasn't trying to see how fast I could get it done I was enjoying building and designing it and creating something that would last.
I couldn't be happier with the way it performs. It is extremely stable, rows easily and I can stand up and move around to cast without feeling like it is going to tip over. Originally I was using a 2 wheel dolly I built to launch and move it around but it was kind of awkward to use and pretty bulky to pack around with me. Just recently added the permanent wheels to the side and the removeable handle in the front. This has worked out great and made launching a breeze. I've had it out a dozen times or so and have received a lot of positive comments from other fisherman.
If anyone is thinking of starting a project like this or is in the process of building your own boat I would be happy to share what I learned during the build of my boat to help yours go smoothly.
Here is the link:
http://s1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/mikeguenther/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Homemade jon boat

Post by natetreat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:50 am

That is really neat. I've always wanted to build one of my own, but I've got to wait until I get a garage. How does she row?

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:51 am

well done! thank thing is cute .. in a good way..

Rivercamp72
Petty Officer

Post by Rivercamp72 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:30 am

Good looking boat! That paint job on the exterior of the hull looks outstanding. Could you go into some detail about how you completed that task??

trimcat
Angler

Post by trimcat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:17 am

It rows really well, tracks straight and only needs about 4"-5" of water. I have a small electric trolling motor for it and it pushes it around easily.
The camo started out as a base coat of "Dull Dead Grass" the same color as the inside which was rolled on. The camo was created using a flat exterior white and black and flat camo colors of tan and brown which were all rattle cans. After the base coat was applied I started with the lighter colors first in this order, white, tan, brown, black. The patterns are ferns, japanese maple leaves and a couple other types of leaves I had in my back yard. I laid the pattern on the surface and sprayed the paint around the sides of it. This created the outline of the pattern with the color of whatever was under it. I tried to do a random pattern alternating the patterns and colors until I got the desired look. It is hard to screw up because if you have an area the is too dark or too light you can add more color to correct.
I was nervous to start so I practiced on a piece of plywood and then I started on the bottom of the boat to get used to the technique on an area that wouldn't be very visible. The whole process of painting the exterior only took about 1-1/2 hours and it hides scratches and scuffs pretty well.
Thanks for compliment, the camo turned out better than I thought it would and have had a lot of positive feedback on it.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:34 am

Wow! Very nice job! What is the width/length?
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

trimcat
Angler

Post by trimcat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:30 pm

I used a single sheet of 1/2" plywood for the bottom so it is 48"x96"
The sides have a 7 deg. angle so it widens to about 56" at the top rail. The width helps a lot with the stability.
Thanks for the compliment...