The Perfect Boat

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
edge540
Commander

The Perfect Boat

Post by edge540 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Well Im looking for a new boat and could use a little advise from you guys. Ive owned row boats, tri hulls, v hulls and had some large rough-water boats. I am looking for a good family boat that I can get multiple uses out of. I think I will have wooldridge build a boat for me but im still exploring other brands and styles.

I plan to use it for river fishing but want to be able to hit the salt on a decent day or go out on the larger lakes and be able to handle a little chop. Needs to be big enough for the wife and kid plus 2 dogs and all there stuff. Any advise? Thinking I want to stick with an outboard jet but not positive. I really like the 2 boats in the links below and would go with a windshield and canvas from the factory.

http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catalog/products/sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catalog/ ... rt-drifter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Re: The Perfect Boat

Post by bassplayer17 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Steve 3 boats...wow your wife got any sisters lol..i like the rt drifter and yes stick with the outboard jet
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

Augwen
Lieutenant

Post by Augwen » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:04 am

Those are nice boats!!! But there are a lot of nice boats built in the NW. I would call and maybe go visit some factories...all in the guise of research of course.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:48 am

Edge, from a jet boat guy, If you want big enough to haul the family around and be able to fish those places you're not going to use the drifter, I wouldn't even consider an OB. You bang that foot and you're done. Beg for a tow. The foot on an OB will get get clogged much easier than an inboard, a few leaves on the river and you're stopping every hundred yards to clean it out. On top of that you're not going to get the power you need to haul the family around from an OB. Inboard is a lot more efficient when it comes to pumps especially with an axial flow pump. Service, you know how that's done when it comes from Detroit, oil chnage, plugs wires and distributor cap and you're rocking. OB, take it to the shop and hope they don't fusk it up...... OB has it's place and that's on an open sled, not someting you're going to use to take the family out for the day. As far as river sleds go, if you want to hit the salt, I'd say minimum 22' and even that will pound you senceless. Been there done that, no fun!

Now Wooldridge, awesome river sled and or work boat. Not what I would put my family in for a day on the water.

Function = A
Fit and finish = C
Amenities = D

I would look at Custom Weld, Thunderjet, Weldcraft, NW Jet, North River......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:25 pm

No such thing as a perfect boat to fit all the needs.

If you are interested in Wooldridge, do yourself a favor and check out all the other local companies that make similar boats...Bodo makes some valid points, but an inboard will cut into your space, outboard though does lose roughly 1/3rd of its power when a jet pump is put onto it. There are plenty of capable outboard repairmen as well....

Willie is another that comes to mind and they can do some building to spec if you have some special requests...

There's a lot of different boat models and layouts out there. What we can tell you here on a forum will only go so far, your best plan is to shop around and sit in as many boats as you can, and if possible, drive them.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks guys, I really dont see myself owning a sled with a big inboard. Burning 3 gallons to the mile doesn't excite me. I guess I see what all the NW boat builders have to offer and decide if I still want a jet.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Most of the newer boats aren't that hard on the fuel. Fuel burn is kind of a constant, it takes so many BTU's to push so many pounds of boat across the pond. Doesn't really matter if it's an outboard or an inboard. It's a constant. When it comes to running on the river you'll get the same answer from anyone with experience with both OB's and inboards. Mine get's between 6 and 8 gal an hour burn with the throttle pinned on the river. Judging from your taste in Saltwater boats and your other rigs, you don't really strike me as a peanut butter sandwitch guy. If you're worried about an inboard taking up space, look at a high deck, more storage and a better casting deck. I've been down the road you're on.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Ha HA Not that worried about burning some thermal units but it would be nice to keep it a little reasonable. I guess if your only burning $24 an hour and cant wipe the grin off you face your doing something rite. Of all the tubs Ive owned my favorite was a 15' reinell tri-hull with a 70 horse johnson. It was real economical but the big kicker was that it was stupid easy to launch by my self. I guess thats why I keep thinking smaller and outboard. :-k

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Well that's why I'm going down that smaller road. A skiff for me to run and the big boat for when there are more people involved. My boats only 19 feet and it's still a handfull when it comes to launching on the river. My schedule at work has changed so now it looks more like fishing by myself. That equals a smaller boat. With a small boat an OB is the only choice.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 pm

ugh back in this debate again, cant decide what i want. Took a walk with my wife last night and notice my neighbor had just backed his new alumaweld stryker with a 115/prop. Nice looking boat. She said "lets get one" .... one what though ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I just want to do too many things I guess.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:25 am

Hey Edge, My best friend has a 22' Alumaweld I.B. 225 Merc. at the pump.(6 or 7 years now) Started with a 19' Stryker. The difference in size and quality of fishing, crabbing, anything is amazing. 2 people can walk side by side down the middle for one thing. He has 2 electic downriggers on each side and a hand crank in the back for the local salt. Sequi, Neah Bay for big kings, halibut, cod no problem. Dump the riggers put on the anchor and any river, slough is gravy. Pull off the anchor and slip on the 105 horse trolling motor and its a bass machine for any body of water in the state. Room for the whole family and the Merc V6 surprisingly good gas. Stomp grate is huge, full canvas if you want. I think your on the right track. Not real big on the side rails of the Woolridge though.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:10 am

As I've said before, for a family boat, I'd consider nothing but an inboard jet. Safety is the biggest factor, no one ever got cut or mangled on and pump. Just climbing in from the drink with an outboard can be injurious with an outboard. I would also never consider a sport jet. Low TT to rebuild on the powerhead and pump. They're great for some applications but not a family boat.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 am

True that, Although if Edge is thinking about water sking and boarding, I wouldn't think an I.B. sled would be a very good choice. Maybe pulling a tube. I guess my thoughts were more along the line of fishing and crabbing and shrimping. Like Edge said "One what" Is there such a thing as the perfect boat for all that us guys want to do? It's just not out there. I guess my choices have gotten easier since my kids have grown up. Now it's all about fishing.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:28 am

And why would you not ski or board behind an inboard jet boat? Granted you need a little longer tow rope to get out of the jet blast, other than that, they work fine. I've personally skied many miles behind one.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:56 am

The run down. Thinking inboard jet might be the winner. But I still want something under 20' for garage space and easy launching.

30% screwing around on the local lakes, ski tube or cruising with wife and kid.
20% river fishing
40% Bass fishing
10% Salt fishing (Mostly trolling and jigging within a couple miles of the launch)

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Besides the longer rope and jet blast, the hole shot is a little sluggish with the 22'. It's a good workout, but not impossible for sure. I guess it depends on the boat (length, hp, hull, boat load and so forth) Just my observation. I'm certainly no expert on water sking. Good luck Edge

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:50 pm

basser90 wrote:Besides the longer rope and jet blast, the hole shot is a little sluggish with the 22'. It's a good workout, but not impossible for sure. I guess it depends on the boat (length, hp, hull, boat load and so forth) Just my observation. I'm certainly no expert on water sking. Good luck Edge
Two words, Sport Jet.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:30 pm

The 350 vortex inboard jet pulls the banana boat just fine =D>
Attachments
4th of July 2008 111.JPG
4th of July 2008 111.JPG (139.7 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 am