Deaths deverted

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Deaths deverted

Post by Amx » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:58 am

Read this fishing report and THINK about all the lakes you/we all fish and the dangers in those lakes. Don't let this happen to you, or others. Warn others if you think they need warning. even if they don't need warning, warn them anyway.

http://washingtonlakes.com/ReportCommen ... lid=36&t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

FishTank
Petty Officer

Re: Deaths deverted

Post by FishTank » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:40 am

I'm forever wanting to get out on this lake for some hawgs, but I hear these stories all the time from everyone who has ever boated here. No one is immune to hitting those rocks, and I have ruled out putting my bass boat in there.

I still would really like to fish it.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:55 am

So, are there rock spires all over the lake like Kapowsin has tree trunks all over the place just under the surface? Or is the middle ok? With the rocks just along the sides? Looks like it's 250 feet deep in spots.
Tom.

Interests: living

P-FITZ98
Angler

Post by P-FITZ98 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:57 pm

I have fished there a few times in a 14ft. alum., but would really like to know what to look out for and where these are located.Those young men are extremely lucky others were there. I left the lake early one day due to wind that picked up and it got crappy FAST.Hopefully Dave or others can chime in on this and warn others of the dangers and there locations?

deepbuzzer
Petty Officer

Post by deepbuzzer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Rock lake is a fantastic lake for bass fishing, but it does need to be respected. I will not go screaming down this lake at 70mph. The old timer who gave me some information on this lake pointed out a lot of the areas to avoid as there are spires throughout the lake especially as the lake level lowers. This lake will take at least a few lower ends every year. All I can say is be careful on this lake, and enjoy all of its beauty and fish. If I can figure out how to get the GPS coordinates from my HDS8 I will post the danger zones I am aware of..

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Well, I have never been out in a boat on Rock, but everything I've heard is that the main channel is fine. The rock pillars extend more than a hundred feet from shore though, and a really close friend of mine told me that he bumped bottom on one of these spirels when he was far from the bank. Luckily, he wasn't going very fast.

I guess there are sections of the lake to just be aware of that are full of these spirals.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:39 am

Rock is well known for it's dangerous conditions, both weather related and underwater hazards. I don't worry about the weather part so much, but the underwater hazards are too risky for me to bother with, so Rock remains one of the only local lakes I haven't put my boat in, and don't plan to.

The guys that ended up in the lake are extremely fortunate someone was there to rescue them.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:15 pm

I've updated our overview to include a boating warning.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".