Depth Finder Help

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
rjn cajun
Captain

Depth Finder Help

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:03 am

Need some opinions with my depth finder location. Just bought a Lowrance X-50 DS from a buddy for my small boat. I`m going to mount the transducer to a transom mount trolling motor. I heard that I`m not suppost to use plastic zip ties to tie the wiring to the motor as this causes interference with the sonar. True or false? Also does the vibration of the motor affect the sonar? I`m just looking for some opinons and advice since I have no experience with this type of set up. Any other dos and donts would be much appreciated.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Depth Finder Help

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:11 am

I've never heard of the plastic tie thing. I use electrition's tape. The zip ties will slide down unless you have a tool to get the ties REALLY tight. I've not seen or heard of any vibration problems. How much does the motor vibrate?
Tom.

Interests: living

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:56 am

Plastic zip ties causing interference? I dont see how that is even possible.

But there are reports of trolling motors causing interference. If the transducer is internally shielded, it shouldn't be a problem.

Should be able to use those SS hose clamp from the hardware store to secure the transducer.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 am

Amx wrote:I've never heard of the plastic tie thing. I use electrition's tape. The zip ties will slide down unless you have a tool to get the ties REALLY tight. I've not seen or heard of any vibration problems. How much does the motor vibrate?
It doesn`t vibrate that much if it does vibrate all from what I can tell. But down on the torpedo it self I thought might a little. The interference part I think I read on the Lowrance web site or one in close simularity.

davidwat1
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by davidwat1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:14 am

No problem on the zip ties, that's what I have on mine, and haven't had any issues!
http://www.WatkinsBassfishing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sponsor WashingtonLakes.com

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:51 am

Zip ties will be fine just don't over tighten to the point of deforming the wires, this may be where the rumor started. Check with the mfg of your tranducer, in most instances they will provide mounting instructions that includes mounting on trolling motors. Kits are also available and you might want to take a look at one for some ideas.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

The zip ties won't cause any interference. The original clamp might have been an adjustable hose clamp.

If the manufacturer supplied a motor mount bracket with the unit, surely it is o.k. to mount it in that location.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine ... Downloads/

The other option would be to use a suction cup mount bracket and attach it to the transom of the boat. That is how I mounted mine when I had a 14' aluminum. It seemed to work fine.
Last edited by Marc Martyn on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjackson
Petty Officer

Post by kjackson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:49 pm

The only problem you'll have with mounting the transducer that way is when you pull your motor up to stow it. If you're only going to tilt it up or down, that won't be an issue. If that is a problem, then just zip the transducer cable near the head of the trolling motor and let the rest fly free.

As far as the interference goes, you shouldn't see any. I'm not that familiar with the X-50, but I doubt there would be any issue with it--with one possible exception. If you run the transducer cable over or near battery or power cables of any kind, you might have a problem.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks guys I would use that thank you option but still haven`t figured that out either. Kjackson are you saying not to let my power cables cros my battery or motor cables? Didn`t understand that one. You have to yell at me when you talk to me.[confused]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Don't let the TRANSDUCER cable run along or cross the battery or engine power cables as those can cause 'induced pulses' that can mess up the signal coming up from the transducer to the depth finder components, causing a bad reading, interferance, bad images. Stuff like that.
Tom.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 pm

AAhhh got it. That`s what I thought he said but didn`t understand cuz I`m slower then the rest of you. AMX you know this.:^o

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:39 pm

I know some things. I forget a LOT.
Tom.