Squaw or now the Northern Pike Minnow

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
fish2live
Petty Officer

Squaw or now the Northern Pike Minnow

Post by fish2live » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:55 pm

I have the understanding that you can sign up to fish along some parts of the Columbia river and part of the snake river to catch the squaw or now called the Northern Pike Minnow for money. And that if you catch one with a tag it can be worth $500.00, wow that's a lot of money. Okay now my Q? Can you do the same thing here in the Spokane area? And if so were do you sign up, cause I have been catching a lot of those dang things, and if I can make money doing it that my friends is just a plus in my book. Here is the site that I found that info. http://www.pikeminnow.org/.

Tight lines to all.

mav186
Commander

RE:Squaw or now the Northern Pike Minnow

Post by mav186 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Hey F2L...I've only heard of this pertaining to the Lower Columbia system. I know there are several hardcore groups of retirees down there that treat this pretty serious...they're hardcore competitive, know what they're doing, catch quite a few and make some extra $$ while they're at it...all while having a blast!!
To answer your question...not sure about the Upper Columbia...

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 pm

I remember looking at that last year after I pulled a few from the snoqualmie river. I remember it only being the lower in order to help salmon fry I belive. It might have changed but doubtfull. that would be a lot of river and a lot of money being handed out. Plus all the extra staffing needed to man those check in stations.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 pm

It is indeed to help the salmon fry. You'll have to pursue them in the lower columbia system. The "bounty" was $4/fish over 9" IIRC.

Big D

Post by Big D » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:50 am

The East Wenatchee Rotary Pikeminnow Derby takes place sometime in June. Usually on a weekend.
Lots of cash & prizes. Last year the grand prize was a boat, motor & trailer.
I watch Dave Graybill's site:http://www.fishingmagician.com/ for information as June gets closer.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

fish2live
Petty Officer

Post by fish2live » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:22 pm

Yea guys it makes since that they only do it in the lower due to the fact there are fry down there, Man that would be a blast if they did it up here also. Big D thanks for telling us about The East Wenatchee Rotary Pikeminnow Derby, I'm going to have to try that out, cant believe the grand prize was a complete boat, motor, and trailer, thats amazing. Thanks for all the info guys.

Tight lines to all.