Mineral Lake Brown Trout

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
columbiafan04
Petty Officer

Mineral Lake Brown Trout

Post by columbiafan04 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:03 am

Can anyone give me some background info on the Brown's in mineral lake? I will be up there Friday or Saturday, one of those mornings for sure! I am looking for bait, lure, and location (probably shore spots) for finding the browns! Thanks!

Sponie

gpc
Admiral

RE:Mineral Lake Brown Trout

Post by gpc » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:58 pm

Mineral got 5,000 browns this year, none of them were huge but still they did receive a nice amount. I went to mineral a couple months back and only saw 2 or maybe 3 browns. They were all caught by the same person on the other side of the lake using worms and power eggs. So at the same time this is good and bad news. They are harder to catch, but the reason why the planted the browns in there was to keep the action going all summer long. Browns prefer warmer water and they could survive in a lot warmer water than rainbow trout. So now that it is getting later in the year the browns should become more and more active.

I thought it was really weird what the guy used to catch his couple of browns, usually they don't go after traditional trout bait. You can catch them on dough bait but its not that common. I think as them more like targeting bass. Its better to fish for them at sun up and sun down, and you can even catch them at night. You want use some sort of plug. I would go with a floating rapala in the the 4" size. Ant trout pattern would work but natural forage would be best, so a rainbow or brown trout would be best. There is also perch in mineral, there isn't supposed to be but there is, so a perch pattern would be good. Mineral also has a pretty healthy population of crawdads. I wouldn't go with a crawdad plug just because of all the hang ups in mineral, and being how you want to run a crawdad plug across the bottom. What I would do is catch a couple and use the tail as bait. But a full, fat night crawler under a bobber might be your best bet.

As far as fishing spots the lake has a few places to bank fish. But I would recommend renting a boat. They have them for rent at the mineral resort for $20 for all day. They don't have motors on them, but if its a nice day the oars wont be too hard to use. Also with those floating rapals you want to reel them in slow so a slow troll would be deadly. But you can pay $5 (I think) to fish off the mineral resorts dock. The mineral resorts dock is very productive for bows, but Iv seen browns taken off here.The other place is the public boat ramp, there is a dock and some decent shore access, but I have never actually fished here. There is also a few docks at the lions camp ground. They say you have to pay to fish off the docks, but just park on the street and walk in, they arnt worth paying for and nobody really seems to mind. They are more of boat mooring docks than they are fishing docks, but Iv caught some fish off of them.

If you are feeling a little risky, go over to the lions club camp ground and go to the fence with the train track on the other side. The fence says no trespassing. But there is always people over there. You see family's hop the fence and go over there to fish and walk around. There is always people going over the fence. I'm not saying this is right but I gave never heard of anything happening from hopping the fence. There is a rumor at the camp ground that you can get a $1000 fine for being over there. But once you hop over the fence there is a trail that goes around the entire lake. There is a lot of great fishing spots and its a peaceful walk.

Last time we were there we caught a bunch of fish. The best baits were 3 power eggs (green & orange) on a hook, green wedding rings and a piece of worm, and a F4 rainbow trout flat fish. But we didnt catch any browns