State Won't Pursue Boat Launch at Lake Tahuyeh

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Gamefisher
Petty Officer

Post by Gamefisher » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 pm

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/jul/ ... e-tahuyeh/
A bad day of fishing, is better then a good day at work !!!!!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:State Won't Pursue Boat Launch at Lake Tahuyeh

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Of course the community and residents around the lake, one of the largest lakes in Kitsap County, don't want others using their 'private lake'.
Tom.

Interests: living

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:37 pm

No suprise, I have tried to fish the lake before and thought I was going to get shot at. I live five muinutes from the lake and right accross from Lake Syminton. People who live in these private lake comunities want to keep them just that. The lake would have no problem supporting public use. All the reasons make sens, no logs would have to be removed in order for boats to launch. Unless you are trying to put a huge boat in. But if it was for canones and kyaks, then there is no reason for them to even metion logs having to be removed.

Either way, the State is backing out and don't see them trying to start anything back up.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:18 am

Lake Tahuya is on my list of successfully fished bass lakes. My son got aquainted with a lake shore resident during a cabinet sale. We launched our canoe and caught several bass -- no lunkers but several in the one pound class. My records show a 12 1/2 incher that hit a top water Rapala as my best fish. I too, read the news in the Kitsap Sun and was quite disappointed. I wanted to try the lake again -- I'm sure some lunkers must be living there.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:25 pm

Yeah that is a shame, there's some good trout and bass fishing in Lake Tahuyeh. One of my friends said he's went down there and fished at the private dock when it's been open and they never said anything to him but they might've thought he was a resident, not really sure though and wouldn't try doing it myself.

Gamefisher
Petty Officer

Post by Gamefisher » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:53 pm

Senators Collide on Boat Launch http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/aug/ ... -politics/ There is hope to fish Lake Tahuyeh some day.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:01 pm

This is my favorite quote "I think the real issue here is, whose water is it in Washington state? Does it belong to the elite who can buy waterfront property, or does it belong to the people of the state of Washington?”

Obviously this lake belongs to all of us. But.........

I think the "private lakes" are the best lakes in the state to fish. And should be kept that way. To me they are sort of the last frontier of great fishiers left. The under pressured barely touched gems. Tahuyeh is no exception. If the public was allowed to fish it then it would probably end up just like the rest of the over fished lakes I consider "fish bowls" in this county. Those stocked holding tank waters, fish get transplanted in to, only to be shorlty taken out to make it onto someones dinner table. And of coarse the bass would see the same pressure too. Which would make this lake not as desirable in mind as it has been for many years. Kind of like that thing you've always wanted and it has always been so coveted, that is until you actually get it and then it really isn't that great anymore. You know, the luster wears off. I kind of like the fact that Tahuyeh is the way it is with it's snobbish homeowners.
I think the only way an angler should be able to fish it is to know someone on the lake and have permission.
My hope is that even if one day it was to become public they would maintain a minimal speed limit and it would remain a great fishery. Even so, if it was to become public, you know how bitter those homeowners would be for years ever time they saw someone launch a watercraft from that launch.

Keep us all updated as more news come out on this Gamefisher.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 pm

I wish it was a US law that no body of water can be owned!! These Lks are for everyone,not just those with money. How would the people feel if I were to hit the mega millions and buy just the lake and fence it off POSTED. Well thats how I feel now about that LK. Just cant fish it even though it has the state record LMB in it:-$ and more than one?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:59 am

There are no private lakes in Washington. The state ownes every one of them. The rub is access to them. There are a number of lakes that have all the property owned around them making it difficult to access them. The people that live around them would have you believe they're private, they're not. If you can find a way to get in the water with out tresspassing you're in. This of course does not apply to man made lakes on private property.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Bodofish wrote:There are no private lakes in Washington. The state ownes every one of them. The rub is access to them. There are a number of lakes that have all the property owned around them making it difficult to access them. The people that live around them would have you believe they're private, they're not. If you can find a way to get in the water with out tresspassing you're in. This of course does not apply to man made lakes on private property.
I like the example that's often given of using a helicopter to drop you into the water, bypassing the surrounding "private" property.

So, any helicopter pilots on here looking for a charter? :-"
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

dubplate
Petty Officer

Post by dubplate » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:14 pm

My sister owns a lake front house on Tahuya. I've been fishing this lake for about seven years now. This is the lake that got me into fishing for largies. I was pretty much a trout and salmon angler untill all of these bass(?) started hitting my lures. To break it down, pretty much what I get from the homeowners on and around the lake is they PAY annual dues to live on and around the lake. These dues cover presently and in the past- repairs to the dam, stocking the lake with rainbows and annual aquatic vegetation control, not to mention many other things. I feel everyones pain about not being able to fish the lake. I'm constantly asked by people who know I have access to lake to take them out. This isnt the only lake I fish and I am very thankful that I have access to many great lakes. With that being said, I cant help the fact that I love there aren't weekend and summer crowds of boaters buzzing my 14 foot aluminum boat, illegal overfishing, and garbage floating in the water and around the (proposed) boat launch. I find myself stuck in the middle of this debate for the reasons stated above. Personal bests on this lake- 8.2# LMB, 5.1# RBT and a 2.1# Perch, all C&R except for the rainbow.
insert sig here:

Gamefisher
Petty Officer

Post by Gamefisher » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:59 am

The judge in the case has decided it would to go to a jury trial.

Gamefisher
Petty Officer

Post by Gamefisher » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Court hears Lake Tahuyeh boat launch fight. http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/apr/ ... ued-court/

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Bodofish wrote:There are no private lakes in Washington. The state ownes every one of them. The rub is access to them. There are a number of lakes that have all the property owned around them making it difficult to access them. The people that live around them would have you believe they're private, they're not. If you can find a way to get in the water with out tresspassing you're in. This of course does not apply to man made lakes on private property.
This is not true. There are many privately owned lakes in the state. An example of one in the Spokane area is Reflection Lake. If you look on the Spokane County Plat Map page, you will see that the lake and land around it belongs to the Reflection Lake Community Association.

Medical Lake in the town of Medical Lake owns the lake, not the state.