How can I bottom fish?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
garret1990
Petty Officer

How can I bottom fish?

Post by garret1990 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:10 pm

I know it sounds rediculous but I have no clue how to do this in Black Lake.

Dustin07
Commodore

RE:How can I bottom fish?

Post by Dustin07 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:37 am

Black Lake just got stocked I think. So here's what I've done on stocked lake with a lot of success this year...

Tie on a swivel.

Run a prefabbed hook with leader on it (about 12" long usually)

crimp on a weight above the swivel and put a powerbait powernugget on the hook (not poweregg, power nugget).

I've had a lot of luck with orange/yellow/green.

if I dumbed it down too much, don't be offended. I don't know how much fishing you have done... but i would cast out to the closest 20' or so of water to the shoreline. these stockers stay around that area right now.

Your powerbait will cause the hook to float about 12" above the bottom when you cast it out because the swivel will be too heavy for the powerbait to lift it and the swivel will sit on bottom. The longer the leader you use, the further your bait may float upwards. The crimped on weight more or less is just to help cast.

good luck!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 13, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 13, 2009 11:40 am

I do what Dustin does except 1 difference.I use a slip sinker above the swivel.That way its ultra sensitive to feeling or seeing the bite.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed May 13, 2009 11:48 am

Double post#-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 13, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed May 13, 2009 11:51 am

First off start with a 6lb or 8 lb main line. Then you slide on a 1/4 to 1/2 oz. sliding sinker. Attach to the end of the main line a small or medium barrel swivel. Now you want a 4lb leader if you use 6 lb main line or a 4 or 6 lb leader for 8 lb main line.
Attach a healthy leader I would start with 2-3 ft... Then at the end you want a snell (or baitholder) hook in size 6. For bait I would get a couple bottles of power or I like gulp eggs. I like the yellow and green for Black Lake.(not at the same time) I do mix and match sometimes though. It takes 3-4 eggs to float the hook. Make sure the hook floats and start catching.

If you feel like trying something a little more tricky take a night crawler cut it in half running the tip of the hook through the cut hole and come out about as far down as the hook is long. Then you want to take a worm inflater or a syringe and add some air to the worm by bringing the needle in from the top pointing down and injecting the air. You want to make sure there is only 1 hole where the hook tip comes out the body and I add a power egg to keep the night crawler up on the hook.

This is tried and true
TAZ

PS
Check out Offut Lake :-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 13, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Photo bucket

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed May 13, 2009 12:13 pm

Excellent Taz. Being a type1 diabetic I always carry syringes. I dont know if its even legal but I have multitudes of syringes if you cant find any or need a prescription for them PM me.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

garret1990
Petty Officer

Post by garret1990 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Thank you so far for your responses. Also, does these tips help when I fish from the dock? I fish off this dock here at the boat launch at Columbus Park.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed May 13, 2009 5:16 pm

garret1990 wrote:Thank you so far for your responses. Also, does these tips help when I fish from the dock? I fish off this dock here at the boat launch at Columbus Park.
Ya it will work anywhere you can keep your line tight. You want to keep all the slack from your line to see the bites:cheers:
Photo bucket