Silver lake Spokane

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
beerbohm
Petty Officer

Silver lake Spokane

Post by beerbohm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:00 pm

FYI Silver lake just out side of spokane, the boat launch is closed. Looks like they are putting in a new one. Any one know when it might re-open?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Silver lake Spokane

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:12 pm

beerbohm wrote:FYI Silver lake just out side of spokane, the boat launch is closed. Looks like they are putting in a new one. Any one know when it might re-open?
No, but I am sure glad to hear they are finally doing it.

I do that kind of work for the Corps of Engineers at times, and our crews can knock that out in about a week. So, unless there is a lot more work going into this then I am aware of, by the time you get this response it might already be done.:bom:
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:55 am

beerbohm wrote:FYI Silver lake just out side of spokane, the boat launch is closed. Looks like they are putting in a new one. Any one know when it might re-open?
According to the WDFW page - will be open on the 23rd. About 2 weeks ago I drove 45 minutes to get to a closed launch, it was 4:30 am and none of the private launched opened till 7:00...what a treat.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:03 am

Was out on Silver Monday and the launch looked to be getting very close to completion. Both ramps are in and the concrete divider that will have the launch dock(s) attached is in place. They were working on the gravel area above the launch when we were there. It looks like it will be very nice. I did not see where the new fishing dock(s) were going to be, but that's part of this project too.

I just hope the launch will be used as a launch and not become a fishing/daycamp/swimming/party spot like the old one. I heard a rumor that WDFW and/or Spokane County Marine Patrol were policing it closely prior to it being closed for renovation. They need to educate folks once it reopens to prevent old habits from returning.

Just an FYI - My brother was over for a visit this weekend and his kid's godparents live on Silver Lake. We stopped in to see them Monday afternoon and while talking with the husband, he informed me the state wants to eradicate some of the weeds (primarily milfoil) in the lake. He also mentioned that the state may cease stocking rainbow and focus more on a warm water fishery. Makes sense to me, I rarely catch any trout there anymore and when I do, it's usually a brown.

PaulReilly - I feel your pain, I didn't know it was closed either and had it not been for the fact my brother stopped in to see his friends before we went to the lake, I'd have done the same thing. I haven't been to Picnic Pines in years, and from what I saw on Monday, I won't be back ever again unless they clean that sorry excuse for a resort up. What a dump. :-&
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:09 pm

hewesfisher wrote:
PaulReilly - I feel your pain, I didn't know it was closed either and had it not been for the fact my brother stopped in to see his friends before we went to the lake, I'd have done the same thing. I haven't been to Picnic Pines in years, and from what I saw on Monday, I won't be back ever again unless they clean that sorry excuse for a resort up. What a dump. :-&
Yeah, that place was a dump! the people were rude, the launch fee was crazy, and the ice /worms were ridiculous! I'm not going back to Silver until public launch is open! (and for that matter get a new engine, mine just blew on me)

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Does anyone know if they're putting a dock out there too?
I love this lake,can't wait to get back there.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:16 pm

kevinb wrote:Does anyone know if they're putting a dock out there too?
I love this lake,can't wait to get back there.
Do you mean a launch dock? Then yes, there will be one between the two launch ramps. There is also supposed to be a fishing dock added as part of the renovation but I don't know the exact location and couldn't see any evidence of construction for it as of Monday 8/18.

Paul - Don't know what you're in the market for, but there's an older ad for an older model 15hp Mariner on CL for $475. Check it out here http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/774026107.html. Can't hurt to contact the seller!

If brand isn't all that important, check out Tohatsu motors. All current 4-stroke Mercs 8hp and under are Tohatsus with Merc badging, and all Nissan motors are rebadged Tohatsus. I have a 6hp Merc/Tohatsu kicker on my boat that runs like a champ and is very fuel efficient.

Don't know what your budget is, but a manual start, short shaft, non-charging 9.8hp 4-stroke Tohatsu is $1685 shipped to your door tax free. Not cheap, but you probably won't beat that price on any new motor here in the Spokane/Couer d'Alene area. Visit http://www.onlineoutboards.com/index.html for more info!

Good Luck in your search!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:32 am

hewesfisher wrote:
Paul - Don't know what you're in the market for, but there's an older ad for an older model 15hp Mariner on CL for $475. Check it out here http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/774026107.html. Can't hurt to contact the seller!

If brand isn't all that important, check out Tohatsu motors. All current 4-stroke Mercs 8hp and under are Tohatsus with Merc badging, and all Nissan motors are rebadged Tohatsus. I have a 6hp Merc/Tohatsu kicker on my boat that runs like a champ and is very fuel efficient.

Don't know what your budget is, but a manual start, short shaft, non-charging 9.8hp 4-stroke Tohatsu is $1685 shipped to your door tax free. Not cheap, but you probably won't beat that price on any new motor here in the Spokane/Couer d'Alene area. Visit http://www.onlineoutboards.com/index.html for more info!

Good Luck in your search!
The CL add is no longer available - any chance you have the guy's contact info?

I'm going to check out the Tohatsu site now, i must admit that a little over budget, but just don't tell my wife :-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Hmm, I just pulled the ad up and it's still there for me. Try searching for posting ID #774026107, don't know the link didn't work. He wants $745 obo for the 15hp Mariner. Phone number listed in the ad is 509-710-7616.

New might be over budget, but you won't have to wonder if it will die on you tomorrow and if it does, it carries a 3 year warranty from Tohatsu.

:cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Any kind of dock is good. I'll be out here again soon,...with a boat. This lake is awesome but I didn't see any public docks. I went over to Ruby's bait shop to see what they had but they appeared closed.(They have a great dock)infact,my first lmb of the year came from under there while in Muskyhunter's boat.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:12 am

Any one know if the public launch opened yesterday (8/23) as scheduled? Might have to take a road trip today (without the boat) just to find out.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:36 am

hewesfisher wrote:Any one know if the public launch opened yesterday (8/23) as scheduled? Might have to take a road trip today (without the boat) just to find out.
I'm curious too. Always liked Silver Lake. From Spangle to Silver didn't used to be a road trip, but at the price of gas these days, backing out of the driveway is a road trip.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:00 am

Looks like the fishing dock will be phase two:
Name of Proposal: SILVER LAKE BOAT LAUNCH RENOVATION
Description of Proposal: The proposed project consists of improvements to an existing boat
launch facility. These improvements include:
Phase 1
1. Replacement of two dilapidated boat ramps at the WDFW public access site. The two
new ramps will be longer than the existing ramps and measure 12 feet wide and 92 feet
long for each ramp. The new ramps will have Armortech concrete blocking installed at
the base and sides of each ramp to protect ramps from premature degradation.
2. Installation of an 8-foot by 40-foot floating dock connected to shore by a 4-foot by 60-
foot gangway. The new float and gangway will be located between the new ramps. A
concrete abutment will be added for the gangway.
3. Repair and replacement of approximately 160 feet of 6-foot high chain link fence. New
slats will be installed along the entire length of the fence.
4. Replace three sections of existing chain link fence.
5. The addition of an asphalt paved ADA parking area for existing vault toilets and an ADA
trailer parking area. An asphalt paved ADA walkway from the parking areas to the boat
ramp will also be added.
6. Installation of kiosk.
7. Placement of barrier rock at the top of the ramps to prevent vehicles from driving onto
beach areas.
Phase 2
8. Addition of an ADA accessible concrete viewing platform. This 12-foot by 15-foot
platform will be connected by a new 5-foot wide pathway to the parking areas and is
entirely above ordinary high water.
9. Addition of a fishing float located on the north side of the boat ramps. A 60-foot
gangway will connect this float to a concrete abutment.
10. Wheel stops will be removed.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Thanks for all the good info tollefs, I appreciate it and it confirms my suspicion about the fishing dock maybe coming along later. I'm happy to hear the WDFW will be placing big boulders at the top of the ramps, that will certainly "restrict" some of the, umm, less appropriate activity, IMO, at/on the boat launch.

Lotech Joe, you're absolutely right, Spangle to Silver is not really a road trip, but 60+ miles round trip without the boat just to see if the launch is open with gas prices what they are definitely qualifies today. Anymore, I'd even consider Spangle to Chapman a road trip and that's only 25 minutes from home! :-"

With the good fishing we've been having at Newman, maybe that will become our new "default" local lake, time wise it's almost exactly the same as running to Silver.

Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

GCB069
Petty Officer

Post by GCB069 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:30 pm

I was by there Friday and they were still working in the dock>

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:29 am

hewesfisher wrote:Thanks for all the good info tollefs, I appreciate it and it confirms my suspicion about the fishing dock maybe coming along later. I'm happy to hear the WDFW will be placing big boulders at the top of the ramps, that will certainly "restrict" some of the, umm, less appropriate activity, IMO, at/on the boat launch.

Lotech Joe, you're absolutely right, Spangle to Silver is not really a road trip, but 60+ miles round trip without the boat just to see if the launch is open with gas prices what they are definitely qualifies today. Anymore, I'd even consider Spangle to Chapman a road trip and that's only 25 minutes from home! :-"

With the good fishing we've been having at Newman, maybe that will become our new "default" local lake, time wise it's almost exactly the same as running to Silver.

The last three times I've been to Newman, I've been skunked. I can't figure that lake out. Maybe it's not so much a fly fishing lake.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:45 pm

Lotech Joe wrote:
hewesfisher wrote:Thanks for all the good info tollefs, I appreciate it and it confirms my suspicion about the fishing dock maybe coming along later. I'm happy to hear the WDFW will be placing big boulders at the top of the ramps, that will certainly "restrict" some of the, umm, less appropriate activity, IMO, at/on the boat launch.

The last three times I've been to Newman, I've been skunked. I can't figure that lake out. Maybe it's not so much a fly fishing lake.
Joe, I agree, Newman is not much of a fly fishing lake. It is hard to get to the best spots where a fly rod would be good, often on the muddy to stained side where flies that work only on sight feeding don't work as well, and it has more PWCs than most boat shops in Spokane combined. (LOL)

Still, if you get a boat to take your pontoon north, try 12 to 16 feet deep, just out from the weeds, from turtle rock clockwise around the bay. Best to use a minnow imitation, and get yourself some perch and Crappie for your enjoyment.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

beerbohm
Petty Officer

Post by beerbohm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Is it open for use yet?

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:43 pm

Not all of the work is done but the ramps are done and it is open. I will attach a picture that I took today later after I have downloaded it off of my camera.

beerbohm
Petty Officer

Post by beerbohm » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:00 am

I went out to silver last week and the new launches are nice how ever they seem to be pretty narrow.