Selective Gear Qs

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
gpc
Admiral

Selective Gear Qs

Post by gpc » Thu May 17, 2007 5:05 pm

I have 2 questions about selective gear fishing:

1) When at the lake is it illegal to have powerbait or scent in your tackle box or should I leave all the scent and dough bait back at camp.

2) when fishing is it legal to cut off two hooks on the treble hook with the pliers and pinch the last barb, or do I have to replace the treble hook with a reg. hook

I always left the powerbait behind, but I just switched up my tackle box and it would make it a lot harder to do that now. I also switch all my treble hooks out to a regular hook but last month I ran out of reg. hooks at the lake and I was done fishing when I told my neighbor at camp he told me about cutting off the other 2 hooks and said that would be all I needed to do

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Selective Gear Qs

Post by A9 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:10 pm

My favorite lake and also the lake I always fish at is selective gear rules, except it's a pretty secret one that not many people think about going to...Anyways, I always leave my powerbait/scent in my box...I don't use it, but I am just too lazy to take it out...I probably should take it out, cause once the wardens pointed it out when I was at the launch and my box was at....

I'm not sure about the treble hook thing...I think if you cut off the 2 hooks really really high up, so they were hardly noticeable, you'd probably be fine and the wardens would be chill if they inspected your gear, which they usually do at a selective gear lake....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Thu May 17, 2007 7:18 pm

I don't think having bait in your tackle box is an issue other than it may arouse suspision in the game wardens eyes. I think as long as you don't use it your fine. I have never read any restriction about having bait on your person or in your tackle box.

As for the hooks, Pinched barbs are legal (see the hook definition in the regs) and cutting two of the hooks off a treble I would think is fine as long as the cuts are clean. Any protrusions left could be seen as a barb or a point (See hook definitions in the Regs)
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Fri May 18, 2007 10:29 am

Selective Rules:
Only unscented artificial flies or lures with one single-point, barbless hook are allowed.
Up to a total of three artificial flies or lures containing single-point, barbless hooks
may be used. Bait is prohibited; fish may be released until the daily limit is retained. Only
knotless nets may be used to land fish.

SINGLE-POINT
A hook with only one point.

With both of those in mind, I would hate to agrue with Jonny Law that a clipped trouble hook is a single point.

glastron876
Petty Officer

Post by glastron876 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:33 pm

I would pose this question to Marc Martyn - you can find many of his postings throughout WL.com. From his postings it would seem to me that he may have a more correct answer to your questions - especially as he references talks with GW's more than a couple of times - so I believe that he may be very insightful on thier ways of thinking.

Anyhow - as for the PB's & Scents - while they may not be illegal to maitain in you tacklebox (not sure) - it just may be a good idea to leave them in the truck/car or even at home - just to keep from raising any possible suspicions/problems with the GW's.
Don't know about the hooks. Sorry.

I have 3-tackle boxes myself and allows for no "questionable" gear concerns. I don't mind the GW's - but would rather spend time fishing than explaning myself and activities.
One specialized small pack with the minimal gear I would need when hiking to my favorite river spot. (Non-Selective Rules Area)
The second is set up with all of the standard stuff & equipment for the lakes and non-Selective Rule areas. (Non-Selective Rules Area)
The third is strictly for Selective Rule areas only - no pb's/scents/soft baits/barbless hooks only. (Selective Rules Area)

Just grab a bag/box & fish....no worries
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 18, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day. Teach someone to fish and you get rid of them for the whole weekend"

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri May 18, 2007 1:13 pm

My old tackle box had 4 small tackle boxes in it. I would take out the lure and weight boxes and leave all the power bait in the tackle box and take only the 2 little tackle boxes out and take those. Now ( just switched yesterday) I have a plano 3 tray regular style box and all my weights are in the top tray and my powerbait at the bottom, well if I take out the powerbait then the box becomes top heavy and I will spill the whole thing, Ya see the problem Im having

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Sun May 20, 2007 7:07 pm

gpc wrote:My old tackle box had 4 small tackle boxes in it. I would take out the lure and weight boxes and leave all the power bait in the tackle box and take only the 2 little tackle boxes out and take those. Now ( just switched yesterday) I have a plano 3 tray regular style box and all my weights are in the top tray and my powerbait at the bottom, well if I take out the powerbait then the box becomes top heavy and I will spill the whole thing, Ya see the problem Im having

I would not worry about having the bait as long as you dont use it. The regs say nothing about posseing bait while fishing a selective gear rules body of water. They only prohibit the use of bait. Simply having something can not be an issue if not in the regs. Otherwise were would the line be drawn? All serious fisherman carry at least one extra rod. In this state you can only fish with one pole but that doesn't mean you have to leave all your other poles in your truck. You simply use just one at a time. What would be next? You are on a road trip and see a sign for a lake that you have never heard of. The lake turns out to have a motor restriction and you have just pulled into the access area towing a motorized boat. Are you in violation of the no motor rule? No, only if you launch. Lets hope it never comes to this. We have to give each other at least a little trust or things will truly be in a sad state.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 20, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sun May 20, 2007 10:05 pm

bigastrout wrote:
gpc wrote:My old tackle box had 4 small tackle boxes in it. I would take out the lure and weight boxes and leave all the power bait in the tackle box and take only the 2 little tackle boxes out and take those. Now ( just switched yesterday) I have a plano 3 tray regular style box and all my weights are in the top tray and my powerbait at the bottom, well if I take out the powerbait then the box becomes top heavy and I will spill the whole thing, Ya see the problem Im having

I would not worry about having the bait as long as you dont use it. The regs say nothing about posseing bait while fishing a selective gear rules body of water. They only prohibit the use of bait. Simply having something can not be an issue if not in the regs. Otherwise were would the line be drawn? All serious fisherman carry at least one extra rod. In this state you can only fish with one pole but that doesn't mean you have to leave all your other poles in your truck. You simple use just one at a time. What would be next? You are on a road trip and see a sign for a lake that you have never heard of. The lake turns out to have a motor restriction and you have just pulled into the access area towing a motorized boat. Are you in violation of the no motor rule? No, only if you launch. Lets hope it never comes to this. We have to give each other at least a little trust or things will truly be in a sad state.

Nicely put. That does make more sence, I thought you could have it in your box but just wanted to make sure and now that I heard it how you explained it makes more sence

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 20, 2007 10:17 pm

The wardens will ask you about it, and guys who know the rules who see your tacklebox will also mention it...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

wabowhunter
Angler

Post by wabowhunter » Tue May 22, 2007 9:49 am

Hey GPC….

Well I have had several talks with GW’s while out and about… the selective gear fishing issue is kinda one of those touch things…

Generally speaking a GW tests the “barbless” requirement as follows… he/she will take the hook on your line and slide it through a shirt sleeve, from point to eye, if it hangs up, at all, on removal you could/most likely be issued a ticket.

As for “unscented” think about it this way… the GW will ask you to see your gear, when you open your tackle box there shouldn’t be “any” smell… that would imply scent.

So… you can hope that the GW has a lose knit shirt and has smoked for years or has no sence of smell… or just keep your gear separated, unless like others have said you would rather talk to the GW than spend the time fishing…

Tight Lines…!

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Tue May 22, 2007 7:58 pm

I have never seperated my gear for this type of fishing and I always follow the rules. I have ran into GW, but there has never been any issues as I am following the rules regardless of what is in my tackle box. I have been known to fish at two or three lakes in one day and I do not want a box for each.