float tube fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
gpsposato
Angler

float tube fishing

Post by gpsposato » Tue May 15, 2007 8:15 am

Where can I find info on float tube fishing in lakes? I have never done it before but would like to try? Besides the tube, waders, and life preserver, what else would I need? THanks!

raffensg64
Commander

RE:float tube fishing

Post by raffensg64 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:29 am

Fishing rod of your choice (of course) and a small anchor with at least 30 feet of rope. Nothing sucks more than finding an area that's holding lots of fish but being unable to stay on them during a windy day! And don't forget your fins or you'll be going nowhere fast!

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Tue May 15, 2007 10:28 am

I have a belly boat and a pontoon boat. I would go with the pontoon anytime. Has oars or you can use fins. More storage room on the pontoon also (has a back deck). Little more expensive but I stay drier (back splash into the waders always wakes you up!). An anchor is essential! Hope you have fun and stay as dry as possible.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 15, 2007 10:50 am

The best place to take them is the selsctive gear lakes. Most selective gear lakes dont allow motors (if not all). Ive seen guys hike acouple miles into selective fisheries with float tubes on their back. They always do better than the bank fisherman

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:07 am

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gf ... t=34244438

site is a little wonky to navigate but a lot of float tubin' info!

Jay S
Petty Officer

Post by Jay S » Tue May 15, 2007 12:47 pm

like GJorgy said a pontoon is far better then your typical float tube however if you do get the float tube make sure it has a support bar in front I have the u boat 2000 and it has no support bar so i seem to sit a little more in the water then other tubes with the bar. Check craigs list i see small pontoons on there every now and again at a fraction of the retailers price.

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Tue May 15, 2007 2:13 pm

If you do any moving water fishing go with a pontoon that is rated for that type of fishing. If you only fish lakes then either a belly boat or pontoon would work fine. Bottom Lines "Fishin' Buddy" makes an inexpensive depth finder that you can attach to the tube with a special bracket. I don't personally have one for my tubes but I've seen quite a few guys on the water using them.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue May 15, 2007 3:54 pm

As everyone has said, pontoons are far superior. I have a u boat float tube, but barely use it because I don't like getting cold and/or wet. Bring a net, and a stringer if you plan to keep any. I always try to bring an extra reel incase mine fouls out or something too. A dry towel in one of the compartments can be a life saver!

Matt
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Tue May 15, 2007 7:49 pm

I also believe the pontoon boat is far superior to float tube. A pontoon boat does cost a little more than a float tube. But that is with out factoring in the cost of chest wadders, wader boots, and fins which are a must have in Washington. Unless you like to be cold when fishing from a float tube.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed May 16, 2007 11:38 am

The Bottom Line depth finders are real battery eaters. Yes they are convenient but having to continually feed them batteries is a real pain and expense. I have a pontoon boat that has a back deck. I mount my depthfinder on the top lid of a small cooler and it runs off a small rechargeable battery that I keep in the cooler. If I have my electric trolling motor on the toon then I wire the depth finder to the big battery.

Sunscreen is a must as its easy to fry sitting next to the water. Water bottle and a sandwich, a dehooker, temp gauge, bug pumper.
Life's short - fish hard!

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Wed May 16, 2007 8:31 pm

Thanks for the great info everyone. I am really interested in getting a float tube as well.

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Wed May 23, 2007 2:00 pm

bigastrout wrote:I also believe the pontoon boat is far superior to float tube. A pontoon boat does cost a little more than a float tube. But that is with out factoring in the cost of chest wadders, wader boots, and fins which are a must have in Washington. Unless you like to be cold when fishing from a float tube.
I have to disagree to an extent. With a pontoon boat, you tend to skate on the surface more than with a tube. Pontoons are also significantly heavier. However, for the most part, pontoons are superior in moving water. Do check out the bigfishtackle.com forum suggested above. It is a great resource.

If you want the best compromise (in my humble opinion) between a tube and a toon, check out the NorthFork Outdoors Freestyle H3. It is a little pricy, but you sit high out of the water, it has abundant storage, a 500 pound capacity, and is whitwater rated. I recently bought one and would not go back to any other type of tube.

nwbass
Angler

Post by nwbass » Thu May 24, 2007 11:28 pm

I'll give my 2 cents here. I fish out of a Caddis Navigator IV. I practically live out of it. Been using this for 4 years now with no regrets. I fish big water and small. I can't comment on pontoons since I haven't used one, but I agree with the skating across water scenario. But I can see advantages. I like the tube because I sit lower in the water. I can control myself, hands free in any conditions, and still fish. Cost isn't that much either. The tube cost me $100, fins $35, neoprene waders $70. You don't need wading boots, an old pair of tennis shoes works fine. It's really only cold in the winter months, and I still fish then with it. I personally would never use an anchor because I like to move and can hold myself in the wind. Oh yeah, the tube and everything fits just fine in my little Honda Civic. I deflate a little because of heat expanding the bladders but to inflate is just a few seconds. I keep it all with me so I can fish at the drop of a hat. Like anything else, to each their own.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri May 25, 2007 9:22 am

i got two u boat tubes from joes. i can get around no problem even hold myself in the wind. although it does take a little work at times. i want to upgrade to a pontoon so i can put a trolling motor on it and sit out of the water. its nice during the summer though.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:06 pm

pretty sad, I've seen trolling motors for float tubes hehe
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

David Z.
Petty Officer

Post by David Z. » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:12 pm

Check out the add from Joe's in todays paper they have the Pontoon boat thet I have on sale for 179.00. and you can get by with hip waders.