Freshwater Clams?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Freshwater Clams?

Post by racfish » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:25 am

I take my nightly walks along the Lake Wa blvd most nights.For years Ive always seen clam shells.In Lk Wa. there are loads of these clams.I guess I have a couple questions if any of you know much about them. Are they edible and do they taste ok? 2nd question is has anyone ever tried them for bait.Like for panfish or trout?Any input is appreciated.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

RE:Freshwater Clams?

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:34 am

You probably don't want to harvest any, for food or bait. Harvest of freshwater clams is closed per page 132 of the regs. I think this closure has been in effect for 2-3 years--as I recall, the closure was made in response to overharvesting (although I don't ever recall seeing anyone harvesting or selling freshwater clams in the area).

Interestingly, I've caught several of these clams on my hook over the years in Lake WA. They would latch on to my baited hook while I am hopping my bait on the bottom.

If they were legal for harvest, they would probably make good bait for catfish. I've used clams for catfish bait in California.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:15 am

i bet a lot of the shells you see are a result of racoons. man i hate running into a pack of those walking around lk wa.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:31 am

What is the average size of these freshwater clams in Lake Wa. Here on the east side of the state there are two that I know of and the ones in lakes are tiny like no bigger than a dime. In the Little Spokane River there is a large variety (they might actually be mussles) and I have tried to eat them (back in the late 80s) and they were like chewing on leather.
Well its not called Catching!

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:01 pm

the shells i usually see are quarter to half-dollar size

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:12 pm

the biggest clam I've "caught" while fishing is about the size and shape of a very large mussel. Elongated (rather than round) and flat shape and about 3 inches long.

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:the biggest clam I've "caught" while fishing is about the size and shape of a very large mussel. Elongated (rather than round) and flat shape and about 3 inches long.
Yep, Shad_Eating_Grin has pretty much covered all this. With all my trolling on Lake Washington I hook many clams shells...my largest was 4" and it was caught in a cove by Evergreen Pt off the 520 bridge in about 45 of water on the bottom. I seem to hook them most everytime I go out, and am sure that many fish that lay on the bottom eat these clams...they are very abundant in Lake Washington. I usually hook about 1-2 clams per trip, usually around 1-2" large. It's not really that uncommon.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:22 pm

The clams I see are about the size of a dime or quarter.Thanks Shad-Grin for the info.I see the gulls and crows eating them mostly.They fly up high and drop them on the parking strips the devour them.I dont see that many raccoons anymore around here.We've culled the herd down some(hehehe).I've seen them for years down by my place.They seem to live the gravely areas best kinda like the same areas youd find them in the salt.
Its amazing the ammount of wildlife in our lake.I ve seen 3 types of turtles,clams,crayfish,beavers,muskrats,nutrias,and good old fashioned rats.I'm sure the resident eagles and hawks eat well.
I might have to try one of the clams for bait one of these days.Thanks guys for the input on this.
One day trolling for sockeye near Andrews Bay I caught a gold watch.I think it was a Rolex. It was really nice and still worked.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.