Lake Roosevelt Invasive species inspection form

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
AJ's Dad
Commodore

Lake Roosevelt Invasive species inspection form

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:16 am

I just saw this information in a response from hewesfisher on another forum post, and thought I would put it on it's own thread so others like me that haven't seen it until now can be informed. If this has already been discussed, please forgive me for having not seen it. Thank you hewesfisher for sharing in that other post.

This is a link to the self certification form that the state is requesting people fill out and put on the dash of their towing vehicle while at launch points at Lake Roosevelt. https://www.nps.gov/laro/learn/nature/u ... n-form.pdf

It looks to me like Wa. State is working their way up to requiring us to buy an invasive species sticker, and stop at inspection stations, like is required in Idaho. This form is a self check, and so far doesn't appear to be required. The first statement of the form says
"You are requested to comply with Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area’s quagga and zebra mussel prevention program before you launch your boat. " It doesn't say it's required.
Don't get me wrong, I don't see this as a huge inconvenience, and I do intend to display the form. I'm just saying that for now it doesn't appear that the form is required to prevent getting a citation.
That said, it's going to be kind of hard to remember to print out one of these forms before I head out to Roosevelt to fish. I wonder if they do, or plan to provide these forms at the launch pay station. In my case, referring to my forgetful nature, I better print off a few of the forms and have them in my truck. Maybe you can get away with printing one and then crossing out the date and adding a new one. [wink]

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Re: Lake Roosevelt Invasive species inspection form

Post by hewesbob » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks for the information update, we fish Roosevelt a lot and this is the first I have heard of this. The invasive species is a huge problem in the lakes we have fished in Arizona. At Lake Havasu we were checked several times at the launch when we brought our boat out of the water and at one point we moored our boat for over 30 days at a resort. By law the resort owner had to contact the invasive species folks and when we took our boat out of the water in preparation of our trip home in the spring I had to contact those folks and they came out to our boat with a hot water washer and washed the boat inside and out and then ran hot water through both our outboards. I had to tell them all the states I would be traveling through on my way home and sign a statement that I would not put my boat in ANY waters of ANY state for 14 days. I was given a copy of that statement and had to show it at every Watercraft Inspection Station that I stopped at. I hope that as boat owners around our state we will take this seriously and do the self inspection and the recommended cleaning so our problems never become as bad as they are in other areas because if that does happen we will only have ourselves to blame.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:10 am

I would be in favor of a state-wide system rather than the possible of county by county permits like what has happened up in Whatcom county.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 am

Thanks for separating this out. IIRC, the invasive species form was implemented last year. Easy peasy, self inspection, place form so visible from windshield. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount