Coho, rain & Lake Washington

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
cvt123
Angler

Coho, rain & Lake Washington

Post by cvt123 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Learning the ropes on Lake Wa Salmon. Actually Salmon fishing full stop.

People have commented that they hope for rain to help with the fishing. What is the logic behind that? Does the rain trigger something for the Salmon to migrate up? Or does it unlock the jaw? Or just old fashioned superstition?

I would love to know the reasons

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Re: Coho, rain & Lake Washington

Post by BARCHASER » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Its just the nature and instinct of salmon. Fresh rain does cause migration into spawning creeks and rivers. One of the reasons it simply means more water in the river. The fish instinctually know more water will increase their chance of having a successful spawning and not get stranded in low water or unable to swim around obstacles.

It also increases the smell of the spawning river or creek in downstream waters, and smell is how salmon find their natural spawning creek or river.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:15 pm

the mystery of coho in fresh water - lock-jaw one day, aggressive the next. Welcome to the great enigma!

As to Lake Washington, it will certainly draw more fish into the system, unfortunately into awaiting nets now. I don't know what days the netting is occurring but before going on Lake WA try to find out.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am

It's simply an excuse for not catching. Example "man there's plenty of fish in there but can't get a bite. Hopefully it rains soon" what I am trying to say is that yes rain will push more fish upriver but salmon will still migrate into the lower stretches of a lot of rivers waiting for water levels to go up. If salmon are holding in the bay longer then usual it usually means more feed in the bay so they are trying to gain as much energy as they can for their long journey ahead. So to put it in perspective the rain doesn't really trigger them to start biting but rather moves them up river to some ppls favorite holes. So rain is good but doesn't guarantee red hot action either

cvt123
Angler

Post by cvt123 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks all. I figured it triggered migration but not necessarily biting...

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:55 pm

I fished out of Edmonds today. Not a lot going on. Lots of wind and I never do that hot in the wind. Tues we did good, two of us got 4 and done by 9. Wed I was out by myself, got zero and only had one takedown. Today two of us got one and had 2 more that didn't stick. Certainly a lot slower than it was.

Yes, we need rain to bring in fresh fish. Either that or the run is coming to an end. I'm hoping for decent rain this weekend and another good surge of fresh fish. In years past the salt usually produces fish up until the end of the third week of Oct. Not much after that in the salt.