Lake Washington Walleye, Mackinaw, or Sturgeon?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Palmer
Warrant Officer

Lake Washington Walleye, Mackinaw, or Sturgeon?

Post by Palmer » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:06 pm

Has anyone caught any of these species lately in Lake Washington? I've come across some articles on the subject of these species inhabiting Lake Washington and there was a post on this website of a walleye having been caught out of the Lake.

I'm thinking the walleye population should be increasing rapidly.
Tug's the Drug

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Lake Washington Walleye, Mackinaw, or Sturgeon?

Post by A9 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:29 pm

I think this topic was discussed earlier...Check the search function...

That one walleye picture from the Lake Washington report seems fishy. Look at the picture. It's just a walleye in a net, taken by a poor quality camera...

Sturgeon. Every so often (Seems like once a decade) a big sturgeon will wash up somewhere.

Mackinaw? It's presumed that they *might* be there, but no one has caught any and I've heard of none caught so far.

None of these species are worth targeting now....Let's hope these fish stay out of the lake too...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:35 pm

well sam, i do not see why a sturgeon population in lake washington would hurt anything, might even create a stable fishery. sturgeon are almost always scavengers, they eat what they find on the floor of the lake or river. yea maybe a crawfish might miss out on a dead fish every so often but other than that i cant see any long term "negative affect"

now walleye and mackinaw, i have no clue if they would have a good or bad inpact on lake washington. with walleye the perch population would get thinned but would actually mean larger perch in the future. mackinaw, i really cant say that i know what they would do.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Walleye, and lake trout would be bad for the native salmon steelhead and trout, because they would prey on young outmigrateing smolts.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:34 pm

sturgeon come in thru the locks. Just about every river mouth in WA state (that flows to the Sound or ocean) has sturgeon in it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:02 pm

yea derrick, i did not know how the mackinaw or walleye would affect the natives but i KNOW sturgeon would do fine.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:39 pm

has anyone ever caught sturgeon out of lake washington?

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:41 pm

i have heard of a sturgeon caught in the duwamish river. so if they get in there everynow and then lake washington gets some everynow and then as well. im sure its in very very low numbers though.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 am

yea, somewhere i heard that sturgeon dont spawn anywere else but the columbia and i think one more river. i am sure that they dotn spawn in the salt but who knows.

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:12 pm

The WDFW will tell you that there are walleye and may still be some sturgeon in Lake Washington. I also have come across some articles stating that there are "Lake Trout" in Lake Washington.

I like to pose the question on this site about every 3 - 6 months to see if anyone has caught any.
Tug's the Drug

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:22 pm

I thought the WDFW said that the only body of water in Western Washington with Walleye is the Columbia, and every lake that holds walleye is on the other side of the cascades...
I want to say I remember reading an article in the Seattle Times a few years back regarding a UW research boat catching one.

And with some researching the Seattle times, I found it!
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.c ... washington

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:51 pm

There's the odd walleye that gets caught out of Lake WA every so often. Slabking said he knew where to find them. Not sure if he's on this board, he may be.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:36 am

I caught one on the east end of the 520 bridge. Aug 2006 evening. It was quite a suprise to me.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:55 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:There's the odd walleye that gets caught out of Lake WA every so often. Slabking said he knew where to find them. Not sure if he's on this board, he may be.
he is on this board but i havent seem him post since last summer. slabking knows his stuff!! hes the reliable source i was talking about that told me about crappie spawning near ceder river in lake washington.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Palmer wrote: I also have come across some articles stating that there are "Lake Trout" in Lake Washington.
To my knowledge there are no Mack's or Lake Trout in Lake Washington. The WDFW Officer I talked to last week confirmed this, and told me that "Lake Trout" are now considered the "Cutthroat Trout" of Lake Washington. He referred to the cutts as "lake trout" which is technically not true, as lake trout are not the same as cutthroat trout...not sure where he got that...however, there are occasional walleye and sturgies but no mackinaw or true lake trout.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:27 pm

cutthroatkiller wrote:
Palmer wrote: I also have come across some articles stating that there are "Lake Trout" in Lake Washington.
To my knowledge there are no Mack's or Lake Trout in Lake Washington. The WDFW Officer I talked to last week confirmed this, and told me that "Lake Trout" are now considered the "Cutthroat Trout" of Lake Washington. He referred to the cutts as "lake trout" which is technically not true, as lake trout are not the same as cutthroat trout...not sure where he got that...however, there are occasional walleye and sturgies but no mackinaw or true lake trout.
Uh-oh!!!! Our WDFW officers are calling cutts "Lake Trout"??????????:-" :-" :-# :-# [-( [-( [-x [-x

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:49 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
cutthroatkiller wrote:
Uh-oh!!!! Our WDFW officers are calling cutts "Lake Trout"??????????:-" :-" :-# :-# [-( [-( [-x [-x
Yeah, I know, scary stuff! We talked at Beaver Lake in Issaquah and he said "well you know those lake trout in Lake Washington are prime right now" and I said "you mean the cutthroat right?" and he said nope, "the lake trout which are the cutthroat." I really think there is a lot of confusion and lack of education when it comes to the LW cutt fishery... when it comes to what a lake trout is vs. a cutthroat trout there should be no discrepencies. It's very apparent to me and many others, but some people even a WDFW Officer believed that the cutthroat were termed "lake trout." Yeah, I thought the same thing too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:41 am

There are lake trout and Lake Trout. The common, ordinary lake trout are various species of trout found in lakes.

Lake Trout are a specific trout, actually a charr.

When talking of lake trout/Lake Trout one should take care to explain what one means.

Yes, Lake Trout were stocked in Lake Washington. You have to go back a number of years to find the data. Lake Trout didn't just happen in Lake Chelan, the lakes at the top of Snoqualmie Pass or the lakes over north of Spokane. They were stocked there in previous years.

Cuttthroat trout are lake trout (trout found in lakes). Cutts are not charr. I'd like to think the WDFW employee knows the difference in his trout and was only misunderstood.

I have plans on posting some pics of Lake Trout later this year.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:17 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:
Yes, Lake Trout were stocked in Lake Washington.
So you do recall seeing an article regarding the planting of Mackinaw in Lake Washington.

I did find an article that over 20 different exotic fish were planted in Lake Washington around 1910 for the big Alaska-Yukon expedition that took place where the UW now stands.

Bull Trout look like Mackinaw and here is an article stating there is a very small population of Bull trout in Lake Washington:
http://www.ci.bellevue.wa.us/pdf/Utilit ... lkhead.pdf

Here is a quote from a website: http://www.watrailblazers.org/science/crawford/

VII.A Lake Trout (Makinaw) Salvelinus namaycush, Walbaum
The first known introduction of lake trout in Washington occurred in 1900 when fry were planted into Lake Washington, Newman Lake, Lake Whatcom, and Loon Lake by the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries. Six other lakes were subsequently stocked between 1901 and 1904. Various other lakes were planted from time to time through the years. Even tributary streams of Lake Sammamish and Lake Washington were planted in 1920. Most of the trout were obtained from the state of Wisconsin. The number of lake trout planted between 1921-32 is not known. However, when the Department of Game was founded in 1933, lake trout were annually planted into Deep and Loon Lakes near Spokane until 1938. Some of these fish were obtained from Ontario, Canada, Michigan and Henderson, Wisconsin. Today self-sustaining lake trout populations can be found in Loon Lake, Stevens County].

Here is another quote from another source: http://www.fish.washington.edu/research ... s/9407.pdf
"ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE
LAKE WASHINGTON DRAINAGE"

45. Beauchamp, D. A. 1982. Lake trout (Salvinelinus namaycush) - feasibility of introduction into Lake Washington.
WA Cooperative Fishery Research Unit, University of Washington. Seattle. (unpublished) Location: UW SOF/
THS
FISH, L. WASHINGTON, STOCKING
The biological benefits from introducing lake trout in Lake Washington are addressed by comparing the life
history characteristics and requirements of lake trout with the habitat present in Lake Washington.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tug's the Drug

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:22 pm

Palmer wrote:
zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:
Yes, Lake Trout were stocked in Lake Washington.
So you do recall seeing an article regarding the planting of Mackinaw in Lake Washington.

I did find an article that over 30 different exotic fish were planted in Lake Washington around 1910 for the big Alaskan exposition that took place where the UW now stands.
I'd be interested in reading some of these articles...especially the topic of Macks planted in Lake Washington, cause I have a hard time believing they exist right now in the lake...they may have been planted and never survived.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.