Getting Fish Back Down To Cold Water Depths

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
TrackerPro16
Commander

Getting Fish Back Down To Cold Water Depths

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Last time I was out on Lake Wa I caught a few Sockeye. They fought hard and it took a bit to get them up to the boat. I noticed they had red blotches and were having a hard time recovering. I believe the fighting effort and high water temperatures were the cause.
I was thinking of bagging trolling for now but in the interest of catching a big hatchery steelhead (mandatory retention in Lake Washington), Cutthroat or Kokanee I have a Seaqualizer coming so I can get them back to cooler temperatures quickly. What say you? Will it help, or just bag it until fall? :nemo: :fish:

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Getting Fish Back Down To Cold Water Depths

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:28 am

What causes most of the trauma to the sockeye, and even cutts and kokes, is the time spent fighting in the warmer water. It may look like they recover, but it is only temporary and most do not make it after being released during the late summer and early fall months. Those of you who have fish tanks at home know that when changing water, a critical step in the procecess is ensuring the new water is brough to the same temperature as the water in the tank.

When I fish this time of year it is for catch and keep and I fish areas where sockeye encounters are minimal. It also helps to use lures that sockeye are less likely to hit and to pick up the trolling speed. Don't fish in waters more that 70' deep and hug the bottom with your gear. If you stay out of the deep/open water where the sockeye are grouped together, and fish at speeds above 1.5 mph you should be OK. Eliminate bait and you are even less likely to incidently hook a sockeye.

As for the manditory retention of hatchery steelhead in the lake, that is an absolute joke. The Cedar was never stocked and the only hatchery fish ever planted in the system were in Issaquah creek. That program was shut down over 30 years ago so the only hatchery steelhead a person would catch in the lake would be a stray from another system. You'd have better odds targeting walleye and northern pike in the lake.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:41 am

Soooooo, getting them back down to colder temps? Do you have any experience or opinion on recovery using that method?
I have a call in to the WDFW Lake Washington Biologist. It will be interesting to see if they have any info on this.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:26 pm

I have not yet used a decending device on a sockeye. I have a Seaqualizer, but unless it is unable to equalize it's air bladder on the way up, it won't help much. Those fish head stright back down on their own, they know how to find their comfort zone. If you speak with the biologist, I think you are going to get a similar answer. The damaged has already been done, especially when fighting the fish using light tackle as it just extends its time spent in the warm water expending its energy. With water temps in the upper section of the water column in the 70's, the shock has set in and the fish are weakened. Remember, they need to survive in this setting for at least another 2+ months without eating, and the water conditions will only be getting worse.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:46 pm

I would think getting them back down to cooler temps ASAP would help. The pressure might help as well but the main thing would be to cool them down I would think. It will be interesting to hear what he has to offer as far as scientific facts.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Cant hurt to try can it if they are already going to die?

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:11 am

If I understood the initial question correctly, a decending device is not a proper alternative to avoiding incidental hookups with sockeye in Lake Washington. Bagging it until they move on or fishing in areas where they are not found, is the more responsible action.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Except there are a lot of fish that you can still catch in the area that are legal to keep. 'More responsible' is in the eye of the beholder. If a fishery is ‘catch and release only’ some are going to die if you go catching them. Does not mean you should not fish there at all. I guess it would if you take the more 'responsible' approach…
I may try the Seaqualizer to see how it goes. No real way for me to see unless I use the Panoptix to see how they swim away after they come off the release, which would be pretty good way to see how they are doing, me thinks.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Nifty idea watching with the Panoptix! Let us know if you try that.

I started to say 'Cool' idea, but changed my mind :)

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Just realized I meant to mention, as there was a suggestion on how to avoid catching them,,, ALL were caught in 60-70 feet with the downrigger at 45-50 feet at 1.9-2.2 MPH on a blade and hoochie and no bait.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:01 am

I think most folks are missing the point when it comes to what happens to these fish when they are subjected to stress in elevated water temperatures. The thermal shock of a rapid change in water temperature is enough to kill a fish even if it swims away or is brought back to depth after being released. The chemical reactions required to maintain a healthy living organism are influenced by temperature, fish use the surrounding water to regulate their body temps as they are “cold blooded.” They can accept gradual change in temps, you’ll see them milling about where two different bodies of water meet, waiting for their body temps to match the water to which they are migrating. Just look at what happens to us when our body temps drop or raise a few degrees. To further complicate matters, when a fish is forced to exert itself when hooked, its muscles generate heat, just like any other animal. Now you have a fish that is overheating from the inside as well as the outside, in effect a double whammy.
Due to their mass, larger fish are generally more tolerant of passing through waters of different temperatures, their core temps don’t change as quickly. However, when they have to battle, their body temps rise faster and then it takes them longer to cool back down.
I guess what it comes down to is this question. Are you OK with what you perceive as the end result of releasing a sockeye, as bycatch in the pursuit of cutthroat trout?
One last note, if you fish tight to the deck, you’ll avoid the sockeye as they generally suspend in the water column. The cutts on the bottom are targeting sculpin, minnows and anything else that may be found in that zone.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:47 am

If I think their chances are good by getting them back down to depth quickly then yes, I would be fine with it.
It is easy to speculate about what we 'think' will happen, but the reality may be totally different. Bombardier beetles should explode, but they don't... Bumblebee’s should not be able to fly…
I am planning on doing salt water in the next couple years and need to accept bringing fish up from depth and maybe having their stomachs pushing out their mouths and pushing their eyeballs out. Anthropomorphizing, it is doubtful a human would survive that, yet, fish and wildlife say the chances for survival are good for the fish returned fairly quickly to depth.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:49 am

How about just using a 4 lb leader and snapping off any big fish before they come up?

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:28 pm

I have caught 20" and 22" Cutthroat in the last month in lake Wa. I would want to get a look at it. Some of the smaller fish I have caught out of the lake have fought harder than the big ones. Not to mention if the line picks up a big wad of cabbage it can drag pretty good.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Any time you fish, pretty much anywhere, and any time, in our state, there is a risk of by-catch of some species that needs protecting or is out of season. I have caught halibut within casting distance of shore in 4 ft of water and illegal rock fish trolling for salmon way up off the bottom. Not often, but it happens.

The only way to be sure NOT to have unwanted by-catch is to stop fishing completely. Or, you can do your best to make it right after the catch.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Talked to the fish biologist today. He has no information either way as far as increased survival after getting them back to cold water but wants me to keep a log if I use the Panoptix and release to document how it appears they are doing/swimming at depth.
He seemed pretty interested to know what I find.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Cool!