Summit Lake Blue-green algae

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Rocketvet
Petty Officer

Summit Lake Blue-green algae

Post by Rocketvet » Mon May 22, 2017 12:46 am

Thurston County has a blue-green algae alert still up for Summit Lake. Does anyone know how that affects the fish that were just planted in addition to the residents? Is the lake no good for the year? Not that many places to target Kokanee near Olympia. Ward is tiny and hit or miss. Not a lot of great reports for American Lake either.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Re: Summit Lake Blue-green algae

Post by JoshH » Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 am

Wow, usually don't see algae problems this early in the year. Something funky must be going on with the lake. Typically, the algae doesn't cause issues for the fish, it just makes it that the lake is unsafe to fish because you really don't want to touch the water or the fish and accidently rub your eyes, get some in your mouth etc. Being it's already been closed, I would bet it will not be deemed safe until late fall, but then again, this is real early in my understanding for that kind of problem on a lake. I've fished many lakes that were closed due to theis very issue shortly after they have been re-opened. Fish were healthy.

Rocketvet
Petty Officer

Post by Rocketvet » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks for the reply. Staying away for now. Kinda miss that lake though. Normally a clean spot though they do have a copepod problem too.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:17 am

They just announced Tapps has the same issue.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:44 am

You would think they want the boats on the water just to stir up the water. From what I read the UV light kills this algae, if the water never gets moved around how can the UV light kill the algae. They should get the old farm tractor out and back the agitator in and let it run all day and night steering up the lake water like the farmers did on there manure pods, I can remember that tractor running for days on end just mixing it all up. Better then just doing nothing but letting nature takes it course. I do miss fishing that lake but living on it has to be even worse with all the great weather were having not to be allowed to play. I know the use it for drinking as well even more reason to get the tractor with the agitator going!!
Last edited by Hunter757 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:27 pm

you could really be on to something there. From what ive read about blue green algae, leaving a few boats docked and running in gear in select areas could really do some damage to this species of algae! Damn good idea imo.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:42 pm

In Pierce county they just warn you. Fish will be fine if washed in clean water.
At Summit though people also drink the water out of the lake. I don't know if that is why they closed it or if they do that to all lakes in Thurston county with Blue-green Algae.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:08 pm

So does anyone live at this lake? Looking to see if the launch gate is open? This week's test are all clear so that is 2 weeks no findings and the lake should be open. Thanks.
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Lake if officially open. Let the fishing begin...............
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS