New to Anacortes - Looking for a good place to fish

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
pjammet
Angler

New to Anacortes - Looking for a good place to fish

Post by pjammet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:47 am

Our family just moved to Anacortes in Dec 2016. We are totally new to the area.
My wife, our son and I love to fish. We are far from being experts, better to consider us beginners . We enjoy being outdoor by a lake, cast a line and catch a few fish.
I am looking for recommendations and advice for good spots in the local lakes to fish from the shore, type of bait to use etc.

Thank you in advance for the help

T-Bone
Petty Officer

Re: New to Anacortes - Looking for a good place to fish

Post by T-Bone » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:45 pm

One lake with great access near you is Lake Padden on the South end of Bellingham. The lake is surrounded by a public park with a walking trail and this year is heavily stocked by WDFW. It opens this Saturday 4/22; so expect a crowd.

Several other lakes are just South of Anacortes with varying amounts of public shore access. I heavily suggest buying a copy of the Washington State Fishing Guide by Terry Sheely from Amazon or Ebay and contacting the WDFW Region Four Office for more info.: http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regions/region4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:56 pm

I know you mentioned bait fishing, but if you by chance fly fish, you are sitting right on top of Pass Lake. A fine fly lake.
Otherwise check out Campbell lake. Cranberry has been good for some people as well.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Cranberry lake at deception pass. Lots of shore access and a dock at the park entrance. Cast and retrieve gold spoons or plunk power eggs using 1/2 to 1 oz slip sinker and 3-4 foot leader.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:33 am

I will be at Padden this weekend to catch stockers, but you know I will be avoiding the boat launch and shore, taking my kayak out! There will be some hungry trout out there.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:41 am

There is also Heart and Erie right by you, but they will be shoulder to shoulder fishing. Usually very good first few weeks after opener.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:32 am

Where to start, theres about 30 good lakes within a hours drive but to name afew theres heart erie campbell big and little cranberry clear mud beaver grandy cain reed whistle oh and big lk.. there that should take you about 5 years to fully cover and learn then theres the skagit or samish river for trout and salmon and lots of different access for saltwater fishing.. lots of great fishing in that area