Drive-up lake with a view of Mt. Rainier

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Re: Drive-up lake with a view of Mt. Rainier

Post by 4n6fisher » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Not from the correct side, but one of the most iconic and often photographed (especially with reflection) is from Tipsoo lake, right at the pass summit on 410. It is nice in that you are looking across to Rainier. No dock or anything but a short, easy trail around it.

nwflycaster
Petty Officer

Post by nwflycaster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:25 pm

I know it's already been mentioned, but I'll second the Mineral Lake vote. It's been over 45 years since a neighbor took me fishing there but its view left an impression that's still in my mind. Definitely worth your time just to go see it even if it's not where you end up choosing.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:51 am

I too was thinking of American Lake. I don't fish down that way often so there might be better options, but for reference, here's a photo of the mountain from on the lake. It looked bigger than it appears in the photo and I'm not sure if you could see the mountain from the north shore access point.
Condolences,
Dave
Attachments
2014-08-09_15-37-39_570 small.jpg

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Thank you to all that contributed suggestions to this thread, I really appreciate it. I have been somewhat absent of late, as we recently bought a new house and I have been super busy with all that.

Well, my good friend Quadfather and I took a road trip on Sunday down to scout for a good lake to do this (thanks for driving!!!). We went to several lakes, including Kapowsin, Clear, Silver, Twin lakes, Tanwax, Rapjohn...and ultimately ended up at the lake that the most people had suggested, Mineral lake.

The view is absolutely stunning! We checked out the lodge, and my wife and I decided to stay there, while my inlaws will stay in their RV at the east creek campground. We will be going down the weekend of July 15th.

Okay, now for the fun part...how do I fish this lake? l would like to learn how to catch trout in lakes using lures as opposed to plunking with power bait. l don't really have a boat per se; l have a rubber raft, pack raft and float tubes. Human propulsion only. The raft is decent size, about 8 feet, and it has oars so l could so some trolling. Any suggestions? There are supposed to be trophy rainbows and German browns in there
Fisken Morder!!!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:23 am

Anchor in the middle, the deep part and drop a worm with no weight all the way to the bottom and just let it sit. Its the only way I know to get a big brown with out all the trolling gear. In a lake they're notoriously picky and will only move to the surface or shore lines just before dawn and just after sunset.

Good luck and I'm glad you found the lake!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Bodofish wrote:Anchor in the middle, the deep part and drop a worm with no weight all the way to the bottom and just let it sit. Its the only way I know to get a big brown with out all the trolling gear. In a lake they're notoriously picky and will only move to the surface or shore lines just before dawn and just after sunset.

Good luck and I'm glad you found the lake!
Worm with no weight huh? Interesting. Can you please explain why you wouldn't have a weight and leader? Is the idea to just let the worm wiggle along the bottom? And what size/type of hook do you use? Thanks!!!
Fisken Morder!!!

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Also, doesn't it take a long time for a worm to hit the bottom with no weight? Or maybe you use a big night crawler? I just want to get what you are saying correctly, not arguing. You have me fascinated now ;)
Fisken Morder!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:23 am

Yup, that's why you use a Carolina rig, or split shot, or slip shot. The weight will get the rig to the bottom, and the worm is at the end of the line and so acts like there is no weight at all. The drop shot will also work.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:57 am

Browns are very picky. If it's doing anything that doesn't look natural, they won't touch it. As for hooks, a 4 or 6 should be fine. You can go as light as you want on the leader, I go with about 2-3 feet on nothing more than size 7 barrel swivel and then the main line. Leave some.... a bunch of slack, they've been known to carry worms around for a while. Make sure the hook is in its mouth before you set it. It's not like river fishing, gentle touch on the set.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Good to know, thanks Bodo!!!
Fisken Morder!!!

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:18 pm

Well, we had the family fishing trip this weekend. Trina and her mom were overwhelmed by emotion at the place I chose and how perfect it was to lay Aunt Barbara to rest there, so it couldn't have been more special. As for the fishing...well, I spent most of the day tying knots, as they were getting their gear hung up as fast as I could get them set up. Lots of logs and structure near the dock at the lodge. We had a blast though, everyone was relaxed and enjoyed the conversation. River otters came up near the dock and squealed at us. We couldn't have asked for a better time :)

We have decided to make this an annual event. Next year I think we will camp and rent one of the pontoon boats from the resort so we can get into different parts of the lake.
Fisken Morder!!!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 am

meandermeadows wrote:Well, we had the family fishing trip this weekend. Trina and her mom were overwhelmed by emotion at the place I chose and how perfect it was to lay Aunt Barbara to rest there, so it couldn't have been more special. As for the fishing...well, I spent most of the day tying knots, as they were getting their gear hung up as fast as I could get them set up. Lots of logs and structure near the dock at the lodge. We had a blast though, everyone was relaxed and enjoyed the conversation. River otters came up near the dock and squealed at us. We couldn't have asked for a better time :)

We have decided to make this an annual event. Next year I think we will camp and rent one of the pontoon boats from the resort so we can get into different parts of the lake.
I'm so glad it worked for you and Aunt Barbara is now resting peacefully.