Green Lake trout

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
bassbuzzer
Petty Officer

Green Lake trout

Post by bassbuzzer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:24 am

Anybody fished Green Lake lately? I have a 5 year old little boy that I'd love to get on some trout action. I know the spring it's fantastic I'm just wondering how it is this time of year. Thank you

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Green Lake trout

Post by Bodofish » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:29 am

It's usually pretty good year round but I go out in a float tube so I don't know about bank and don't use bait. Since they hatchery thing is being sorted out, I'm not sure how many "extras" they'll be dumping in the lake. I kind of hope they do as it's nice to see people engaged in activities other than walking around in circles.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:54 am

Bodofish wrote:It's usually pretty good year round but I go out in a float tube so I don't know about bank and don't use bait. Since they hatchery thing is being sorted out, I'm not sure how many "extras" they'll be dumping in the lake. I kind of hope they do as it's nice to see people engaged in activities other than walking around in circles.
Walking around in circles! Hahaha! [laugh] never really thought about it like but every time I go there that's what is gonna pop in my head!

TMBob
Petty Officer

Post by TMBob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:26 pm

WDFW has a video up from a recent trip to Green Lake at the end and of Oct. and did quite well with Kastmasters.

I drove around the lake on Wednesday and could not locate the area from where it was filmed even though it sure looked like it would be easy to find...bolcade and berch tree in the water and with benches near by. Might have a look again next week for that spot.

pizzaman
Petty Officer

Post by pizzaman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:20 am

I like this time of year at Green lake as you can catch some bigger fish. I was out about a week ago and catch 3 beautiful 16"+ fat rainbows. Its also the time of year you might latch on to a nice big brown trout. This time of year I have the most success fishing in the deeper areas in my kayak. Take a look at the topo map. The best spot seems to be trolling a straight line from the dock on the eastside directly towards the island. If I was shore fishing I would go to the north end of the lake.

TBear_fishin
Petty Officer

Post by TBear_fishin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:15 pm

I just watched that video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrv9ncMRf0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he is fishing along the east shore about 30 yards north of the 65th Street dock. The fishing is usually pretty good, but try other areas too. You can't beat the accessibility.

alxtm
Angler

Post by alxtm » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:07 am

I fished there with my 6yo son back in November... we didn't get much action, the only bite we got was the 16" trout that my son pulled out of the water. But to be fair, the 2-3 hours we spent there were a bit boring.

TMBob
Petty Officer

Post by TMBob » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Anyone been out this way recently? I spent a few a hours out there after the thaw and had one strike and missed it, but saw a few nice ones caught. Would love to be able to throw some hardware and actually catch something or should I just wait till the Spring for that?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:32 pm

They always seem to bite on fly's for me. Being in the right place is everything.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:12 pm

I created quite a fuss bowfishing for Carp there a few years ago. As it is a stocked lake the WDFW said It was perfectly fine but the Parks people got some complaints and were not very happy about it. I decided it was not worth me getting in the middle of THAT squabble and stopped going. 😳🐟 A funny side note was a woman stopped and asked me if I was shooting at the 'pretty' fish. I assured her I was not...

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:23 am

TrackerPro16 wrote:I created quite a fuss bowfishing for Carp there a few years ago. As it is a stocked lake the WDFW said It was perfectly fine but the Parks people got some complaints and were not very happy about it. I decided it was not worth me getting in the middle of THAT squabble and stopped going. 😳🐟 A funny side note was a woman stopped and asked me if I was shooting at the 'pretty' fish. I assured her I was not...
Yeah, I'll bet it did! The ones you really need to watch out for are the rowers. They think they own the lake and they aren't shy about telling you so. I was fishing from my tube, minding my own business and they came up from behind and just ran right into me. Then the jack holes had the audacity to tell me to get out of their way and that they had the right away because they have an agreement with the city. Well, as most of you know that sort of thing doesn't sit too well with me. I had a little conversation with the spotter in the motor boat and the coxswain and then with the club manager back at rower central. Needless to say they have been giving me a wide berth since.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 am

I didn't think motors were allowed on Green Lake? I have thought about taking my Portabote there a couple times but bagged it ever since I started buying an annual Lake Washington permit. Now that I think about it I don't think I have fished any where else except the Moses Lake area and Lake Washington in years... Too easy to drag the bigger boat 15 minutes over to Lake Wa. Usually less than 30 min from getting ready to on the water. That may change as I am going to make my electronics portable. Might be fun to scope out Green Lake!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:26 am

TrackerPro16 wrote:I didn't think motors were allowed on Green Lake? I have thought about taking my Portabote there a couple times but bagged it ever since I started buying an annual Lake Washington permit. Now that I think about it I don't think I have fished any where else except the Moses Lake area and Lake Washington in years... Too easy to drag the bigger boat 15 minutes over to Lake Wa. Usually less than 30 min from getting ready to on the water. That may change as I am going to make my electronics portable. Might be fun to scope out Green Lake!
As a general rule no motors on Green Lake. The rowing club has special permission to use motors on the lake. Heaven forbid they would have to row a chase boat........ Wait,?,? Isn't it a rowing club? Isn't rowing what they go there to do? Never mind, I'm way over thinking it.

As a side note they failed to see the irony when I questioned the need for motor at a rowing club.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:18 am

I see them on Lake Wa all the time during the summer. Odd looking boat they use for the chase boat. It has an outboard on it as well.